Why Can You Eat Fattening Food? What's Your Secret

Options

Replies

• corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    When I go after the cheese it's a single ounce block and done away from home, aka where the rest of the cheese is. Same goes for a few other things, though if I'm having a no appetite evening I can start waving the potatoes in front of myself without risk. Really, I think my crazy lifestyle with so many meals away from home with this heat are why I can realistically get away with portioning down tasty rubbish.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Moderation is a learned activity. I grew up as the family garbage disposal. I was expected to clean my plate and anyone else's leftovers. It's hardly surprising that I had a lot of difficulty with portion control as an adult. Portion control is important no matter what you eat, but it is particularly pertinent in the calorie bombs you get from restaurants. It took me a lot of time working with a dietician to adjust my idea of what a "normal" amount of food was so that it was in line with what my body actually needed. Now, I log my calories before I eat and measure out portions according to that rather than trying to eat what my eyes tell me is right and hope it fits my macros. It works for me, but may not work for everyone.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I work out every day and burn enough calories to eat pretty much whatever I want. I'm reasonable but I eat ice cream 3-4 times a week. Today I had an extra busy day at work and combined with my workout this morning burned almost 1000 calories, so I had room for a treat. On days when I don't burn as much, I eat less or at least make healthier choices to stay within my limits.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Here's what's been working for me:

1. My everyday eating focuses on healthy foods, especially fresh produce. Over time I've gotten used to the natural sweetness of fruits, in a way that makes richer, processed sweets like chocolate and baked goods almost TOO sweet. The same goes for foods like pizza, which now can taste almost too rich to me.

2. Nothing is forbidden. I don't feel deprived. For me the trick was finding good substitutions, so that I don't miss those more fattening foods. Once in a great while I'll have a treat, and then it feels absolutely decadent -- and rich enough so that I am sated very quickly and actually look forward to returning to my regular way of eating.

In other words, eating sustainably trumps everything else. It very rarely feels like work.
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Portion control and shrugging my shoulders.

Had White Castles tonight w/McDonald's Coke.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    2 reasons:

I don't eat that much of it.

I BUST my *kitten* working out so I burn more than I consume.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    OP, many of my friends have given you really great answers in this thread. My short answer is, sometimes I can't. But I have had to learn how to control myself in order to be able to eat certain foods in moderation.

It is sort of off-topic, but you inspired my blog post tonight, so I thought I'd share the link with you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/danasings
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    2 reasons:

I don't eat that much of it.

I BUST my *kitten* working out so I burn more than I consume.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This is pretty much my answer, too.

After working out my TDEE-15% (which is perfect for me to lose fat comfortably) I discovered that I can budget around 1800 calories for the day. I can have a burger from Jack in the Box for about 700 calories EASILY since I have 1100 more calories to use. I can just make those other calories low calorie, nutrient dense things like veggies and lean meats like turkey for the rest of the food throughout the day. An "ultimate cheeseburger" is enough to fill me up, so there's no need for me to get more than that afterwards.

I think some people have more difficulty with this because their calorie target goal for the day is set much lower than mine (which is probably much lower than they coul feasibly use, they just don't realize it!). If you have a 700 calorie burger when your goal is 1200 calories, that doesn't leave much else for the rest of the day.

Also, this goes to the second point listed. I bust my *kitten* at the gym. I lift weights 4 days a week, do intense cardio twice a week, and walk a minimum of 12,000 steps daily. So, I earn more calories for the day anyway. Without that exercise, I'd be stuck trying to live off of 1300 calories, which would suck. When you lift weights especially, you can eat more because you burn more, and because lifting weights will raise your RMR causing your TDEE to go up (meaning again, you can eat more even when not exercising).

Now, if the problem is "I can't force myself to stop eating," such as I can't just have 1 cheeseburger...well, I can't help you there. That's a personal issue that you are going to have to deal with. I used to be that way. I used to have this *need* to eat the whole bag of Cheetos or the whole pint of Ben and Jerry's, but I worked diligently on myself to control my portions and control my thought process about them, and eventually, it just sunk in. Also, I never eat those things when I am needing a lot of calories. If I am already hungry, of course I will overeat those calories. But, I have them as a treat, or a dessert, after my meal, so I am less hungry anyway.

Good luck in your journey!
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    MUSCLE MASS

Once a person has built up enough muscle over years of training they can get away with eating a lot more due to increased muscle mass and the fact that they do heavy weights weekly.

I've trained competitively for years and still do and my day to day calories is probably about 3000 or so. Maybe a bit more? I can pretty much eat whatever I want and maintain a good physique at 91-93kg. But to be in phenomenal shape I cant' do that. I have to carefully monitor what I eat and eat 2400-2600cal. Pizza, pasta is off the menu but I refeed on rice once a week.

Koing
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I could tell you that I eat chocolate, ice cream and all manner of 'unhealthy' things daily but in moderation.

But I'd also have to tell you that 'just one glass' of anything alcoholic is a foreign concept to me :)

We all have our triggers and means of relaxation.

I used to crave carbs for instance (3 heaped sugars in my tea, etc) but since I did a low carb stint I don't have anything like the problem I had with constant hunger, maybe you have an underlying metabolic issue like insulin resistance?
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way.

What is that pie really giving me?

I just eat it for the taste, and each bite of it is the same. So 1 bite of pie is really exactly the same as 20 bites in terms of the benefit im getting.

Its not giving me as much nutrition as something else would, so I just have enough for a taste and make sure to fill the rest of my day with nutritious food that I really need.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    At 560 lbs. and trapped in my own home and finally having that get busy living or get busy dying moment, I knew even then nothing would ever change if I didn't figure out how to change my relationship with food.. It was my addition and no matter what I did if I could not get a handle on it I would continue down the road I was already on.. So I needed someone to help me change my mindset so for me it was therapy...and slowly I learned to accept food for what it is (a means to life) food would eventual not control me and that I would control it... It took alot of hard work and I am still going to therapy once a month but I can say there is no going back now... I have a firm grip on things now but I still am ever diligent to know where I came from and to work everyday to appreciate what I have been able to do... So from my perspective that is where I would start..... Best of Luck

Hold the phone, 312lbs lost!??!!?! I want a statue of you in my garden, dude, seriously!

Edit: I was so mouth-agape-stunned by that number that I forgot to post what I was going to say lol Now, my husband can eat "whatever he wants" and not put on weight because he "wants" one slice of pizza and I want ALL the slices. He wants a curry and a rice. I want a 2 starters, a curry, two sides and a rice (and some poppadoms and that lovely mint sauce.).

So, I have to tell myself, "is this the last curry I am ever going to have on this earth? If the gods are willing and the creeks don't rise, no, so I don't have to eat absolutely everything on the menu that I love today.

I do think we're wired differently, though. He's just as much a foodie as I am, he can just eat a little of what he loves and be happy. Sometimes I have to eat something until I physically can't stand the taste of it anymore. I'd love to know why.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have no problem doing it. I just log it first and stick to one piece (or two when pizza, usually). And stick to my calories/macros as much as possible. I had to 'detox' for a couple months first though, after that, no problem. I'm just hoping it lasts!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I eat a full pizza. I eat anything I want.

how?

I work my *kitten* off all damn day (not intentional) and so I can eat it.

I have a back injury that means if I'm sitting down for more than about 5 mins at a time I am in some pain.... actually a lot of pain. So I walk all damn friggen day. I do my normal workout, then I walk...walk & walk. I burn off enough that the pizza is nothing.... that whole pepperoni loaded pizza....large size...is nothing.

Secret is my back.... I refuse to take painkillers anymore & walking is the ONLY thing that helps.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I used to have certain foods that I couldn't just leave alone, i *had to* have them, and i couldn't just stop at one bite, I had to eat it all.... those were foods that I'd always considered to be "bad" foods that I should refrain from and even felt somewhat guilty about eating them.

I have since changed my attitude towards food. firstly, I see food as primarily for nutrition, so rather than focusing on what i *shouldn't* eat, which is what nearly everyone who tries to eat healthy or lose weight does... instead I focus on what I *should* eat, i.e. plenty of protein, healthy fat, healthy carbs, vitamins, minerals, fibre and water. (yes, within a calorie goal when losing fat, but for the past few months I've been maintaining or eating for strength gains and not tracking). I've also stopped considering any food to be forbidden. If I've eaten enough nutritious food then I'll eat whatever I want that fits in my calorie goal if I'm cutting (or if I'm not tracking then i have a sensible sized portion of it) - I remind myself that I can have these foods whenever I want and there's nothing wrong with enjoying them, or any food. Since I've been doing that, and changing how I think about food, I've no longer had a problem with cravings or with being unable to stop eating any particular kind of food. I literally used to think of any forbidden food, that if I don't eat as much as I can of it now, that I won't get to eat this food again, so make the most of it. I didn't really realise this was how i was thinking, until after I stopped thinking like that. Now I think of nothing as being forbidden, I can eat any food whenever I want, so that urgency simply isn't there any more, I eat some, I leave the rest for another time.

Also, if you are not eating enough, the desire to eat high calorie food, or food containing the nutrients you're not getting enough of in your diet, is actually a normal physiological response. it's not a psychological problem, it's something that evolved to enable our evolutionary ancestors, who had no idea what a balanced diet is or how many calories they should eat, to not die of starvation or nutritional deficiencies. So anyone who's suffering from any kind of binge eating should first rule out the possibility that their diet is deficient in any nutrient, and also ensure that they're getting sufficient calories. Aiming for slower, steadier weight loss is better, because it's less likely to trigger bingeing or constant snacking... i.e. it's a lot more sustainable and the goal is long term maintenance of a healthy weight, not how much you can lose in x amount of time. So it is vitally important to ensure that you're eating properly before you decide that any binge eating or inability to eat treat foods in moderation is a psychological issue. For many it's a normal physiological survival response to not eating enough.
  • Claire_x90
    Claire_x90 Posts: 94
    Options
    I'm only successful BECAUSE I allow myself to eat that kind of food sometimes... previously when I've avoided it or felt guilty because of it I've failed.

You have to be looking at a healthy balance , 80% health food and 20% down right enjoyment of food.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I've never been one to overeat at one sitting or have trouble stopping. But my problem's always been the every day habits of bad food. Having either pie, a candy bar, or ice cream every night with dinner and often a cookie or something as my "dessert" even with lunch. It has been a major challenge to break that lifelong habit. For several years my weight was going up even though I was eating healthier foods, less fried stuff, more veggies...I think it's because I would always eat a healthy meal followed by a decadent dessert.

Good luck!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It's all about portion size. :smokin:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Hi - this is my question based on another topic here. How come YOU can eat pizza, donuts, fried chicken, a big candy bar, a big pie, etc.. etc. and I need to NOT eat that? I mean this is for the people that admit they eat this but yet in the big picture, it doesn't seem to hurt their weight loss. So what is it that you have that I dont?

Because, aside from certain medical conditions and food intolerances, there are no fattening foods, only fattening AMOUNTS of food. It's all about making it fit into your goals.

Pizza fits my calorie and macro goals. I normally eat about 2000 calories (total, which would be about 1500-1600 plus exercise calories if I was still following MFP's way, to lose ~ half pound a week) a day to lose weight, and budget about half of that for dinner. Half of a DiGiorno or homemade pizza usually comes in between 800-1100 calories, so it fits. Ditto for cheeseburgers, breaded chicken, etc. It fits within my calories and macros.

Same goes for candy, cake, donuts, cookies, ice cream. I don't often eat it, but when I do, it's because it fits in my goals. I've already planned out my day on my food diary, have lots of fruits and veg, reached my protein and fat goals, and have wiggle room for fun, so I'll have some fun.

I do pretty much always have bags of fun sized candy bars in the house. Sometimes I just mentally NEED chocolate. Similarly, I tend to buy ice cream sandwiches instead of ice cream, because it helps me control the portion.
  • anniegail1961
    Options
    Hi There: " Because One Is Too Many And A Thousand Is Never Enough"
    A.A. philosophy-It's not the 5th rye/coke that get's me drunk-it's the first-it starts the compulsion for more.
    The same for cigarettes.
    The same for codeine.
    The same for sugar.
    The same for orgasms.:love:
    All we can keep doing is our best!