Anyone else "big boned"?

Options

Replies

• djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Big boned IS a real thing. people are usually referring to frame/build type.frame sizes DO exist,that's why from side to side some peoples
    Rib cages measure 6 inches and some measure 12,same with hip bones.if you have a larger frame
    You carry weight differently.
    It's real.

But bone structure is different than having bones that are larger and heavier than someone else. This is similar to the pound of fat vs pound of muscle. ( just for clarification purposes)
    While some people might take it literally it's more of an expression - when you see someone big boned near someone small boned you can really see it.

I remember I worked for a company and our boss decided to get us bracelets for Christmas. She went based on our weight, I guess, because mine was several inches too big and wouldn't even stay on my wrist. She got my coworker who weighed maybe 50 lbs less than me one and it was so tight she could barely clasp it. My friend has such a large frame I think she is more or less built like a man. She's only a few inches taller but she has huge hands, huge feet and no waist. Or she did - I don't talk to her anymore because of her obsession with not only her own weight but other peoples.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I am... depending on what I watch :smokin:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    People have different builds, wider hips, shoulders etc but the actual weight of the human skeleton varies very little from one person to another of the same height and sex. It's a handy excuse for why you weigh more but is based on little fact. Your bones weigh very little in comparison to the rest of the things that make up your body so I wouldn't place much stock in it being the reason you weigh more.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I used to call myself big boned. It was one of the many lies I told myself about why it was okay to be fat.

While there are some people with larger frames, that does not mean you are doomed to always be heavy. It can be hard to even imagine being smaller. When I weighed 230lbs, I only wanted to lose 20lbs. I literally could not picture anything smaller than that in my head. It took hitting that goal for me to see that more was possible. Keep going, keep losing and let the mental picture in your head and your goals change as you progress. You don't have to know the end result right now. Just keep working towards being better.
  • Renaud_M
    Renaud_M Posts: 10
    Options
    My physician told me I would never (unless I become really really skinny) have a "normal" BMI. He told me I shouldn't go under 27 (90kg) since I'm rather tall and wide.

for example, I can't make my fingers touch when I hold my wrist in my hand. That seems to be a good definition of "big boned" :)
  • chineyLuv
    chineyLuv Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think there is calculator to determine your frame and there is also another calculator that tells you what's a good goal depending on your frame.

I'm curious! Where can I find this?

Is usually based on the size of your wrist and height

Women:

Height under 5'2"
    Small = wrist size less than 5.5"
    Medium = wrist size 5.5" to 5.75"
    Large = wrist size over 5.75"

Height 5'2" to 5' 5"
    Small = wrist size less than 6"
    Medium = wrist size 6" to 6.25"
    Large = wrist size over 6.25"

Height over 5' 5"
    Small = wrist size less than 6.25"
    Medium = wrist size 6.25" to 6.5"
    Large = wrist size over 6.5"

Men:

Height over 5' 5"
    Small = wrist size 5.5" to 6.5"
    Medium = wrist size 6.5" to 7.5"
    Large = wrist size over 7.5"

After you know your frame you can use it on a calculator like this one

http://www.superskinnyme.com/ideal_weight_calculator.html

I'm 5'4 with a large frame , so my goal weight should be around 134 and 151 , my real goal is just between those numbers (140).

When I was 170 my pant size was a 10 and my collar bone was popping , so I already had an idea on what would be a good goal for me.

Thank you!!!!
  • jennorris1991
    jennorris1991 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Nope. I have small bones and a big *kitten*!

But some people have a larger frame, it doesn't really excuse extra fat though. Fat and bones are different things.

I hope you reach your goal :)
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    AngelicxAnnihilation Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm about 100 extra pounds of big bones ;) jk. but based on what everyone has said and the fact that everyone has different body shapes, I think It would be safe to say there is such a thing.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have this problem, I think. I'm not sure why my body's weird like this, but even at my lowest weight (with a bit of chub but still defined & "roll-less," lmao) I was still 200lbs. I'm ideally supposed to be in the 140-50-ish range & I feel like I'd be overdoing it if I go -that- far. o_O We'll have to see, I guess! I dunno whether that's considered "big boned" but. I'm certainly on the higher end of the scale, I think.
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    There is no such thing that a larger boned person cannot achieve awesome weight results. The only difference that matters is this:

Someone larger boned at 5' 4" would look like a stick at 120 pounds. However, someone smaller boned may look just "slender" at the same weight. There is some truth to it.

The focus shouldn't be on your size of your pants but how you look and feel about yourself :)
  • jennorris1991
    jennorris1991 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Nope. I have small bones and a big *kitten*!

But some people have a larger frame, it doesn't really excuse extra fat though. Fat and bones are different things.

I hope you reach your goal :)

I reread this and realise it isn't helpful! Basically, if you have a larger frame your goal weight wll be heigher than someone of your height with a smaller frame. I think using that superskinny me website is a good idea :). I just did mine and my goal weight sits nicely in the range for someone with a small frame.
  • VivereDisce
    Options
    A few years ago now, I had a meeting with a personal trainer. He asked what my goals were, and took a measurement of my shoulders and my wrists. He said that with my frame, 200lbs would most likely be in an athlete level BMI. (Assuming I did weights like I intend, and not just got skinny fat.)

I'm 5'10" by the way. Because of this, my first goal is to reach 200, and then I'll be ditching the scale and doing what I need to to be physically healthy without watching weight.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Is usually based on the size of your wrist and height

If you have a lot of fat on your wrist it throws the measurement off and will give you a reading of a large frame. Lose weight, your wrist gets smaller and miraculously you are no longer big boned. I have large wrists on a tiny frame, inherited large wrist bones and wide hands from by dad. It doesn't make me big boned because my wrist is wide.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'd consider myself big boned. I'm also thin.
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Big boned IS a real thing. people are usually referring to frame/build type.frame sizes DO exist,that's why from side to side some peoples
    Rib cages measure 6 inches and some measure 12,same with hip bones.if you have a larger frame
    You carry weight differently.
    It's real.

But bone structure is different than having bones that are larger and heavier than someone else. This is similar to the pound of fat vs pound of muscle. ( just for clarification purposes)
    If someone has larger frame,that means more bone.
    Obviously it's not to be used as an excuse to be overweight but
    The larger your frame then the limit on how small you can get applies as well.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    The most objective way to set a goal weight would be to find out how much lean body mass you have, and add a healthy amount of body fat to that. So if you had 100 pounds of lean body mass, and your goal was to have 20% body fat, your goal would be 125 pounds, and you would be sure to do strength training so as to maintain your muscle mass.

I know a woman who is "big boned" who was always being told by doctors that she should weigh 120 pounds. When a doctor finally measured her body fat percentage, it turned out that she has 120 pounds of lean mass, and should realistically weigh at least 150 pounds, even if she's only 5'2". Whether it's a larger frame, thicker or denser bones, or larger muscles, people's bodies are different.
  • FruityLoops
    FruityLoops Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    After you know your frame you can use it on a calculator like this one

http://www.superskinnyme.com/ideal_weight_calculator.html

I'm 5'4 with a large frame , so my goal weight should be around 134 and 151 , my real goal is just between those numbers (140).

When I was 170 my pant size was a 10 and my collar bone was popping , so I already had an idea on what would be a good goal for me.

Thanks for that link, very interesting! I'm 5'7 with a large frame and my goal weight is 143-163 apparently.

I've always weighed heavy for my dress size, when I was about 188 lbs a few years back I wore a (uk) size 12-14, but my friend who is about the same height wore a (uk) size 14 at about 160 lbs. My personal goal is to get back to where I was then as I felt that it wasn't far off the perfect weight for me even though numerically (and even using the link) it would seem still rather heavy!
  • amycook54
    amycook54 Posts: 4
    Options
    I agree with the "don't worry so much about the number on the scale" comment. We can all stress about that, but instead, worry about being comfortable in your own skin. Work hard to achieve your goals on the scale, but also watch how you look, how clothes are fitting and learn to love yourself. When you do that, you will be right where you should be big boned or not.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    There are different bone structures....that's why "average" height/weight charts span 30lbs....I am 5'7"....I think the average weight is between 134 and 165.....however, I haven't seen 134 since I was a child, and when I was about 160 I was pretty thin and healthy looking....I think if I went down to 130 I would look pretty sick.

THIS! Exactly!!!.. I get many ppl are tired of the Bigger ppl of the population using Big Boned as an excuse to stay in an unhealthy state because bascially "its not their fault". But the fact is there are so many shapes and sizes. We are not talking skeletons here ppl we are talking bone density, Body fat %, and muscle mass. ppl can be the same size and weigh less or more than one another. Some one can be 20lbs heavier than someone else and have smaller measurements, and body fat % and vice versa. I think the OPs was trying to understand if her goal weight was reasonable, and if she is in fact large framed than she may need to reevaluate he goals if they are unrealistic for her frame. For my height of 5'6" the range is supposedly 116 to 154 but with frame size being accounted 159 is the new High end for my height. 116 is certainly out of the question I have seen me as an adult at 160 and that was just right 160 is my goal, perhaps even 165 (there was a little too much colar bone at 160.lol)
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Double post.