What's your breathing pattern for running?

Options
ylor89
ylor89 Posts: 105 Member
I used to breathe "in, in, out, out" for every step I took. Then I noticed myself breathing, "in, in, out, out, out" almost naturally. And now, I breathe "in, in, in, in, out, out, out, out." Hope this makes sense... I'm not forcing it. It's just the way I've been noticing myself breathe.

My breathing pattern may be this way because I also started meditating and much of my meditation is focused on my breath. I take longer in and out breaths, and I also find myself calmer. Does that make sense? I'm not huffing and puffing and completely exhausted. In fact, it's like my body is working its butt off but my mind is super calm so it sends a message to my legs to keep going. I feel like I can run longer!

But then I read somewhere that breathing slow when running isn't good because it doesn't give my body enough time to clear carbon dioxide.

I'm curious... What's your breathing pattern like when you run? Anyone else breathe slow??

Replies

• Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    in in in OUT

I've jogged exactly twice in the past year, so take that ↑ for what it's worth.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your cardio fitness is improving. I read the book "Running on Air" which recommends a three step in breath and a two step out breath. When you're working harder, you do two steps in and one step out.

It's supposed to prevent side stitches and possible injury. I like it for races and to pace myself during more intense runs.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    i guess i don't have much of a pattern, just in, out. Sometimes i'll try to do in in out out
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I used to get horrid side cramps. One of the women in my running clinic said it had to do with not getting enough air out. So I do an In- out-out-out -out and that seems to help with the cramps. If I have a little song in my head while I'm doing it, it helps keep the tempo. :)
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I meditate, too, and my focus is on the breath. I also try to apply the practice to daily life. But it has never directly affected my breathing. I'm usually focusing on getting through the next interval because I do interval work on the treadmill.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your cardio fitness is improving. I read the book "Running on Air" which recommends a three step in breath and a two step out breath. When you're working harder, you do two steps in and one step out.

It's supposed to prevent side stitches and possible injury. I like it for races and to pace myself during more intense runs.

cool....I normally do three steps in, two steps out...so apparently I'm actually doing something right wrt running LOL :)
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

I tried to follow this method once and almost fell over because I was focusing more on breathing than watching the sidewalk I was running on. I have concluded I am to un-coordinated to count breaths and run at the same time.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. Are you doing like Lamaze breathing in in in out out out... or are you saying you take long breaths in and out that take long enough for you to go three steps each?

I've always just done long breaths in through the nose, out through the mouth... but if you say it helps to breathe like Lamaze, I might have to try it! :laugh: Works during contractions.... why not running?
  • ylor89
    ylor89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. Are you doing like Lamaze breathing in in in out out out... or are you saying you take long breaths in and out that take long enough for you to go three steps each?

I've always just done long breaths in through the nose, out through the mouth... but if you say it helps to breathe like Lamaze, I might have to try it! :laugh: Works during contractions.... why not running?

I'm taking long breaths (enough to last four steps each...so for every eight steps I've taken, I've breathed in and out once). Does that make sense? I've never had side stitches with breathing deeper so I guess if it works, it works! :wink:
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I've never actually thought about developing a proper breathing pattern while running, and this may very well be why I can't run a mile without stopping! Thanks for this reminder. I need to work on that :)
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    I just started to try running, week 2 day 2 of C25K, so right now my breathing is huff and puff!
  • rebeccawwalters
    rebeccawwalters Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I inhale for two strides, exhale for two strides, and so on.....
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Mine is in, in, OUT... in perfect cadence to the drums at the beginning of "We Will Rock You." If I run without music, that song gets stuck in my head the entire time.

Now that I think about it, maybe it's out, out, IN. I don't know. My breathing is best when I don't think about my breathing at all. :laugh:
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I try not to think about it or end up tripping over my own feet!!:laugh:
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I can't breathe slow just yet. In fact it's very easy to pant! So I take a big gulp of air in, hold it for three seconds and then release it slowly and that helps.
  • addean1
    addean1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The's supposed to be a pattern to my huffing and puffing? Well, I learn new things every day! This may really help my running!
  • RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I used to try and figure out what worked best...now I just suck in as much as I can, as fast as I need it. I do however try to blow/push it out.

In my case, the more I tried to breath by steps, the more I would speed up as my breathing picked up....that was a bad combination. I found that the less I thought about it, the better off I am.
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I also breathe "in, in" through my nose making sure to lower my diaphragm and then one long breath out through my mouth. I don't know that the pattern matters as much as the deep breathing. The second "in" helps me to breath deeper in the beginning, but a deep, single "in" would work just as well. I also choose to breath in through my nose, because I have asthma and the nose helps to warm and humidify the air before it hits my lungs. Whatever your pattern, you really want to make sure you're getting the most out of each breath, so belly breathing is important. If you're breathing deeply, you're taking in more O2, and you can use that strong diaphragm to push out as much CO2 as possible.

http://beta.active.com/running/Articles/Running-and-Breathing-A-Lesson-in-Oxygen-Intake-and-VO2-Max
  • Chainbreaker
    Chainbreaker Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    While there are muliutple schools of thought on this subject the most widely recommended are A) in for two steps, then out for two steps, or B) in for 3 steps, out for 3 steps. I find that the 3 step method works better for myself and most people who follow a pattern. The every two step method feels to rapid, too close to huffing and puffing. Three steps seems to help keep the body calmer and allows for greater oxygen intake.

In the end, I always say experiment and find the one rythem you perform best with.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Breathing is for pansies