Top 5 Rock Drummers of All Time

Options
Lone_Wolf70
Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
Who would be your picks?

Id go with Neil Peart, John Bonham, Alex Van Halen, Keith Moon and Tommy Lee.

Replies

• LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I don't see how you could improve on that list
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Who would be your picks?

Pretty much spot on here, though I think i'd have to fit Lars Ulrich in as well.........and I think for me Keith Moon before Alex Van Halen...
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Who would be your picks?

Pretty much spot on here, though I think i'd have to fit Lars Ulrich in as well.........and I think for me Keith Moon before Alex Van Halen...

among musicians, Lars is actually considered pretty bad.
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Who would be your picks?

among musicians, Lars is actually considered pretty bad.
    I've heard...he doesn't fit in to the top of the list, but IMO he's in there with TL....I am also quite fond of Joey Jordison
  • chanel1twenty
    chanel1twenty Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Neil Peart

Brann Dailor

No other possible options. Thread finished.
    :p
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Who would be your picks?

how are you defining "rock".

because i'd put the guy from Joy Division/New Order (Stephen Morris) and the guy from Blondie (Clem Burke) on the list if your definition was broad enough to include those bands.
  • chanel1twenty
    chanel1twenty Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Brann only came in at #4 on Metal Sucks' Top 25 modern rock drummers list.

4???!?!

Must be a mistake
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Replace Tommy Lee with Ginger Baker and I can live with that list. Stewart Copeland deserves honorable mention I think though.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Who would be your picks?

because i'd put the guy from Joy Division/New Order (Stephen Morris) and the guy from Blondie (Clem Burke) on the list if your definition was broad enough to include those bands.

I agree with Stephen Morris, and I like Dave Grohl's drumming, too. I would replace Alex Van Halen and Tommy Lee with those two.
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Bonzo

Keith Moon

Neal Peart

Ginger Baker

Ringo
  • Bajiggity
    Bajiggity Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    LOVE Tommy Lee
    . Also Kelley Nichols from LA GUNS. My sister dated him for about a week, total jerk of course. LOL
  • Pebbles91909
    Options
    Rick Allen Def Leppard
    Shelia E. (not quite sure if she is considered a rock drummer)
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    1. Mitch Mitchell.
    2. Jon Fishman
    3. Elvin Jones
    4. Max Roach
    5, Tosha Jones

Look 'em up.

Edit: Oops. Not rock drummers.
  • _Wild_Card_
    _Wild_Card_ Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Neil Peart

4503.end_2D00_of_2D00_thread_5F00_do_2D00_not_2D00_post_2D00_more.jpg
  • BullDozier
    BullDozier Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Who would be your picks?

I know most people think that Neil Peart is amazing, and while I would admit he is talented, it is not a style of drumming I would want to listen to.

I'd strike Peart and Van Halen from your list and add Dave Grohl and Matt Cameron.

I'm not a music expert to know if Tommy Lee is as talented as he is just a showman, but I'd be tempted to replace him with Ginger Baker as well.
  • JohnnyResets
    JohnnyResets Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Wow hard to do just 5... uh... Bonham for SURE, Neil Peart for SURE (now I want to fire up Tom Sawyer) , uh.. Stewart Copeland?, Lars Ulrich (yeah I know), and Ginger Baker?
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Who would be your picks?

I agree with Stephen Morris, and I like Dave Grohl's drumming, too. I would replace Alex Van Halen and Tommy Lee with those two.

Absolutely this.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I am not a drummer so I don't really feel qualified to comment on the quality of a drummer. To be honest I can only tell you if a song sounds good or not but I can't tell the difference between the subtle nuances of one drummer of a another.

I have seen a lot of drum solos and the most entertaining and the best sounding of those have been that guy from the foo fighters and the guy from blink182.
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Pickles the Drummer. That is all.
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    No love for Danny Carey?