Upset ...Closed minded people

Options

Replies

• NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Sounds like that one part in the movie Pretty Woman where she walks into the high class clothing store in Beverly Hills, and because she isn't dressed 'right" they dont want to wait on her. Later, she dresses up in high class clothes and walks back to the store and tells them "you work on commission right?" They say yeah, and she says "Big Mistake" as she holds up about 4 big shopping bags of clothes bought elsewhere.

hehe you should do that ,, just get some shopping bags from Saks or Nieman marcus, and fill them with tissue paper and then go back and do that to that guy!
  • dooplegoon
    dooplegoon Posts: 66
    Options
    Why? Is it a children's clothing shop? Who shops there? Skeletons? People as narrow as his mind?
    By your logic, one could say about Big & Tall shops: "Why? Who shops there? Fat lards?"

Every store doesn't have to cater to everyone. Get over it.

I get what you are saying. The store is entitled to have any specialty it wants and cater to any subgroup it cares to. But the point is that they don't advertise that and she had been shopping there all along. So the point is more of embarrassment. He essentially was saying that she was too fat for his demographic and she had been shopping there all along. Its embarrassing. She is allowed to have a little moment of feel bads, vent here, get a little support and common experience and then move on. Understanding why someone might be upset and giving them a little props helps people shrug off these experiences more quickly. Tell them they shouldn't be upset makes them dwell all day on why they still are. Come on, you know you want to smile at the pretty lady. :)

Don't make me pout. I am excellent at The Pout. Also at the collection of R2D2 action figures and Maths. So don't make me get R2 out and start integrating. I promise you will be bored and possibly horrified.

To the OP:

Sweetie, I totally understand. Even when I was very thin in high school, I still wore a size 10. When I got my prom dress I overheard one of the clerks say she wished Amazons didn't try and shop in their store. They aren't worth your time sweetie. You are a normal sized girl. And they cater to a group outside the norm. It doesn't make you less of a regular person, it makes you more of a regular person. You did the right thing by leaving with your stuff. I bet you can find another re-seller or even go with the ebay suggestion from earlier!
  • NonnyMary
    Options

I get what you are saying. The store is entitled to have any specialty it wants and cater to any subgroup it cares to. But the point is that they don't advertise that and she had been shopping there all along. So the point is more of embarrassment. He essentially was saying that she was too fat for his demographic and she had been shopping there all along. Its embarrassing. She is allowed to have a little moment of feel bads, vent here, get a little support and common experience and then move on. Understanding why someone might be upset and giving them a little props helps people shrug off these experiences more quickly. Tell them they shouldn't be upset makes them dwell all day on why they still are. Come on, you know you want to smile at the pretty lady. :)

Don't make me pout. I am excellent at The Pout. Also at the collection of R2D2 action figures and Maths. So don't make me get R2 out and start integrating. I promise you will be bored and possibly horrified.

To the OP:

Sweetie, I totally understand. Even when I was very thin in high school, I still wore a size 10. When I got my prom dress I overheard one of the clerks say she wished Amazons didn't try and shop in their store. They aren't worth your time sweetie. You are a normal sized girl. And they cater to a group outside the norm. It doesn't make you less of a regular person, it makes you more of a regular person. You did the right thing by leaving with your stuff. I bet you can find another re-seller or even go with the ebay suggestion from earlier!
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    I know some people who manage a clothing store and/or work with customers buying clothes. they have told me that people come in and try to put on an item - often very expensive - two sizes too small and they have broken zippers and ripped the material trying to squeeze in to too small clothes. That might be why some of these stores dont even allow plus sized people to shop, because some idiots previously screwed it up for others. or the guy at that store didn't like you and just found a way to make you not want to come in there. i dont know, I wasn't there,, or he could be just one of those people who want only certain peopel to shop in his store. they make up excuses all the time for it, they dont want your business, so thats my guess.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    u are beautiful! post full body pics I will bet you are a goddess..pics please!!:)
    Best from Nyc
    Kristian Rocco

post full body pics huh? jeez..

yep. it's pretty much the definition of a creepy creeperson post.

Yup, id say...

keep me away thats for damn sure.
  • CapnGordo
    CapnGordo Posts: 327
    Options
    The store is entitled to have any specialty it wants and cater to any subgroup it cares to. But the point is that they don't advertise that and she had been shopping there all along.
    How many stores advertise the sizes they carry? Most people, including myself, browse and check-out the sizes. If they don't have my size (which occurs often), I move on.
    She is allowed to have a little moment of feel bads, vent here, get a little support and common experience and then move on. Understanding why someone might be upset and giving them a little props helps people shrug off these experiences more quickly.
    Never been big on coddling, and believe that it only leads to one repeating their mistake over and over. There have been plenty of "What a big meany!" posts. The thread needed some common sense thrown in there too.
    Tell them they shouldn't be upset makes them dwell all day on why they still are.
    Too many people allow themselves to become victims, and wallow in self-pity. Taking some time to ponder as to why they allow it to happen is the first step to preventing it from happening again.
  • CapnGordo
    Options
    I know some people who manage a clothing store and/or work with customers buying clothes. they have told me that people come in and try to put on an item - often very expensive - two sizes too small and they have broken zippers and ripped the material trying to squeeze in to too small clothes. That might be why some of these stores dont even allow plus sized people to shop, because some idiots previously screwed it up for others. or the guy at that store didn't like you and just found a way to make you not want to come in there. i dont know, I wasn't there,, or he could be just one of those people who want only certain peopel to shop in his store. they make up excuses all the time for it, they dont want your business, so thats my guess.
    Trying to understand the motivations of other human beings can be frustrating. That is why I avoid it, and work to forge my own happiness regardless of others' opinions and actions.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    u are beautiful! post full body pics I will bet you are a goddess..pics please!!:)
    Best from Nyc
    Kristian Rocco

post full body pics huh? jeez..

yep. it's pretty much the definition of a creepy creeperson post.

creepyface_zpse79d65b6.gif

There's a consignment store near my house that only sells maternity clothes and kids' clothes up to size 12, but it's marketed that way. It seems odd that he would have a cut-off when so many people losing weight go to those stores to find in-between sizes. Welp, now you know!
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with others who think this is most likely a tactic to get you practically give him the clothes for free. By being rude and making you feeling bad, he wanted you to just feel "lucky" that you could get rid of them at all. He was looking for a bargain and stooped low to try to get it.

I have garage sales every now and then. A couple of years ago, I was selling a practically new backpack style baby carrier that was used one week for a vacation involving a lot of walking. I paid $250 for the thing. I was asking $200 for it. Some guy came up and told me he'd give me $85 and I'd be lucky to get any more than that because it was "used" and implied it was somehow "contaminated" by my child. I looked him in the eye and suggested that he go to REI and pay full price because if he didn't want to pay $200, someone on Craigslist would. He came back with the $200. Point is, the thought he was going to embarrass me into taking what he offered. I think this is what happened to you.

Put your stuff on Craigslist or eBay and get what you deserve for it.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    His shop, his rules.
  • dooplegoon
    dooplegoon Posts: 66
    Options
    The store is entitled to have any specialty it wants and cater to any subgroup it cares to. But the point is that they don't advertise that and she had been shopping there all along.
    How many stores advertise the sizes they carry? Most people, including myself, browse and check-out the sizes. If they don't have my size (which occurs often), I move on.
    She is allowed to have a little moment of feel bads, vent here, get a little support and common experience and then move on. Understanding why someone might be upset and giving them a little props helps people shrug off these experiences more quickly.
    Never been big on coddling, and believe that it only leads to one repeating their mistake over and over. There have been plenty of "What a big meany!" posts. The thread needed some common sense thrown in there too.
    Tell them they shouldn't be upset makes them dwell all day on why they still are.
    Too many people allow themselves to become victims, and wallow in self-pity. Taking some time to ponder as to why they allow it to happen is the first step to preventing it from happening again.

R2D2 is very excited right now.
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Close-minded because he doesn't want to sell a certain size of clothing? Is he close-minded because he doesn't sell men's clothing? OH MY GOD, WHERE ARE MEN GOING TO FIND CLOTHING IF HE DOESN'T SELL MEN'S CLOTHING?! Is a retailer close-minded if he doesn't sell ski jackets in Arizona? WHAT ABOUT THE PEOPLE THAT WANT SKI COATS IN 100 DEGREE WEATHER?!

Carrying more sizes (or styles or types of clothing, for that matter) requires more space and inventory -- which means more expenses. It's impossible for retailers to cater to everyone. As such, they must decide what they are going to sell, according to their ability to invest and the expected return on their investment.

Y'all do realize that most businesses don't have unlimited resources, and cannot cater to every desire of every consumer, right?

Granted, he could have just said that he wasn't interested in that set of clothing, and not volunteered the reason, but it's his choice what he buys and stocks in his store. It's also your choice whether you shop there or not.

Yeah, but shouldnt he have inventory for average sized clothing. A size 9 isn't even plus size. It's like that abercrombie bull****, he only wants to sell to a certain type of woman.
  • CapnGordo
    Options
    Yeah, but shouldnt he have inventory for average sized clothing. A size 9 isn't even plus size. It's like that abercrombie bull****, he only wants to sell to a certain type of woman.
    Why "should" he? It's a (still relatively) free country, and he's free to sell whatever he likes and cater to whomever he likes. If you don't like it, don't go there.
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Why "should" he? It's a (still relatively) free country, and he's free to sell whatever he likes and cater to whomever he likes. If you don't like it, don't go there.

Right. He doesn't HAVE to do anything..and the OP left and wont return. But saying he doesn't have room in his shop for anything other than XS and S and size 0 is just simply not true. As you just stated, it's his choice....not due to lack of space or inventory.
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Best from Nyc
    Kristian Rocco

wow... That's, ummm, creepy. Even too creepy for me, and I'm pretty damn creepy.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Right. He doesn't HAVE to do anything..and the OP left and wont return. But saying he doesn't have room in his shop for anything other than XS and S and size 0 is just simply not true. As you just stated, it's his choice....not due to lack of space or inventory.
    You've been to his shop and know he has room then?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    This had absolutely nothing to do with your size. This had everything to do with him wanting to rip you off and justifying why he only wanted to give you $20. He was full of it, but it was over money, not the truth about the clothing sizes. I bet he has a similar line for everyone who brings clothes to the thrift shop.

The guy's a crook.
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Did you go to Ambercrombie & B-I-T-C-H? :laugh:

That's what this reminded me of. That this "hip" store specifically doesn't want bigger people to wear his clothes because fat is not cool or whatever his lame excuse was. Ugh.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that happened to you!! :flowerforyou:
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Sorry that jerk made you feel bad love - but please no worries - you are beautiful! Just move right on ;-)