P90X 1 round & Body Beast 1 round

Options

Replies

• jrompola
    jrompola Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I agree, unfortunately knowing it and doing it are two different things.

I was thinking of just downloading the nutrition guide for body beast and just doing my own lifting.

but i must say i've never gotten any better results then when i do beach body programs.

Yeah that'd work. If you know what you're doing and it seems like you do you'll be fine. The DVDs are good for keeping tempo...if you are trying to be a power lifter than maybe not so much because there isn't much rest at all between sets. Not sure what type of lifting you do. I occasionally sub in bench press, squats, and dead lift with an Olympic bar, but it is extremely hard to load/unload the bar with 25-35 seconds of rest and then still go 100% on the move. Much easier with dumbbells.

I've never gotten better results either, but its solely because I was focused and had a plan. The dvds were money because I didn't need to think...I just did the moves and followed the schedule and it made me think more about the food(fuel) I was putting in my body.
  • Woodrow1234
    Woodrow1234 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! Great job!!

My P90x story -

Last spring:
    216 lbs
    245 cholesterol
    165/95 BP
    High blood sugar, though not officially diabetic
    No medications, but I'm sure that would have changed shortly.
    Brother with Type II diabetes, both parents and all grandparents with diabets.
    Desk job
    Every joint hurt

I drastically changed my eating habits (got certified in nutrition so I had a clue) and started on P90x with some additional cardio (walking desk - typing and walking at 2 mph as I type this now, actually).

6 months later:
    177 lbs
    116/65 BP
    Normal blood sugar
    134 cholesterol (bad chol is low and good is high as well)
    My joints are MUCH better and I felt much stronger.

BUT - I stopped doing the P90x workouts regularly a couple of months ago (reasonable reasons). I still ate well and did the walking, but my weight has jumped a bit (8 lbs) in the past couple of months without that consistent weight training. That consistency matters so much. Now I've started into it again and I'm sore, but looking forward to catching back up and dropping these few lbs that I added back. More than the weight though, it's that confidence weight training gives you. I know that I walked taller, and the clothes would fit better, and it just made such a huge difference.

So - my advice for someone that's doing it is to make sure you find the next thing to roll into before you end your P90x (or other program) routine. If you do have to stop for some reason (travel is a big one), get back into it before you lose the conditioning you gained - couple weeks max. I'm already planning my next workout routine so I don't go through this cycle again...I'm 40 now and I'm not snapping back as quickly as I used to. Doing plyo tonight -- it hurts thinking about it...in a good way though. In a good way. :smile:

X
  • jeromykaplan
    jeromykaplan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    sweet results bro i cant wait to get bodybeast!!!
  • jrompola
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! Great job!!

My P90x story -

Last spring:
    216 lbs
    245 cholesterol
    165/95 BP
    High blood sugar, though not officially diabetic
    No medications, but I'm sure that would have changed shortly.
    Brother with Type II diabetes, both parents and all grandparents with diabets.
    Desk job
    Every joint hurt

I drastically changed my eating habits (got certified in nutrition so I had a clue) and started on P90x with some additional cardio (walking desk - typing and walking at 2 mph as I type this now, actually).

6 months later:
    177 lbs
    116/65 BP
    Normal blood sugar
    134 cholesterol (bad chol is low and good is high as well)
    My joints are MUCH better and I felt much stronger.

BUT - I stopped doing the P90x workouts regularly a couple of months ago (reasonable reasons). I still ate well and did the walking, but my weight has jumped a bit (8 lbs) in the past couple of months without that consistent weight training. That consistency matters so much. Now I've started into it again and I'm sore, but looking forward to catching back up and dropping these few lbs that I added back. More than the weight though, it's that confidence weight training gives you. I know that I walked taller, and the clothes would fit better, and it just made such a huge difference.

So - my advice for someone that's doing it is to make sure you find the next thing to roll into before you end your P90x (or other program) routine. If you do have to stop for some reason (travel is a big one), get back into it before you lose the conditioning you gained - couple weeks max. I'm already planning my next workout routine so I don't go through this cycle again...I'm 40 now and I'm not snapping back as quickly as I used to. Doing plyo tonight -- it hurts thinking about it...in a good way though. In a good way. :smile:

X

Very similar to my story minus the high blood sugar etc though I'm sure in a few years I would have been there.

Just wanted to point out that while traveling may be an excuse to not work out or not eat healthy it still can be done. I was on vacation and when my hotel did not have a gym I would run a mile to a local park or so and do pushups and pullups(6-10 sets) and then I'd run the mile back. It can be done, but it just depends how focused you are.

You definitely don't want to take a rest week...maybe an active rest week where you don't go as hard, but don't slip on working out and eating healthy.
  • jrompola
    Options
    sweet results bro i cant wait to get bodybeast!!!

It is a game changer. You'll get great results. Make sure you figure out some sort of diet plan while doing the beast though.
  • mestacy010
    mestacy010 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    <
    you've inspired 1 person to keep going. thanks!

awesome transformation, congrats.

Yep this.
  • jrompola
    Options
    Yep this.

Awesome!!! Was just in Seattle 2 weeks ago for a few days. Did the duckboat tour and the underground tour as well as the other tourist things.
  • hammbone55
    hammbone55 Posts: 73
    Options
    Awesome Results!!! I have P90X and have done it here and there in the last couple years. I can't do the plyo though as it is really hard on my joints, but the weight lifting rocks! You've just inspired me to try it out again. :) Thanks.
  • jrompola
    Options
    Awesome Results!!! I have P90X and have done it here and there in the last couple years. I can't do the plyo though as it is really hard on my joints, but the weight lifting rocks! You've just inspired me to try it out again. :) Thanks.

Modify...don't leave the ground at all or just walk in place for the moves you cannot do. Plyo is good, but the whole goal is to just get you moving around for 45 minutes. Maybe you can find something else you like doing on that day or kenpo twice since that isn't as much wear and tear on the joints.
  • Woodrow1234
    Options

Just wanted to point out that while traveling may be an excuse to not work out or not eat healthy it still can be done. I was on vacation and when my hotel did not have a gym I would run a mile to a local park or so and do pushups and pullups(6-10 sets) and then I'd run the mile back. It can be done, but it just depends how focused you are.

True, though life happens and sometimes the metronome-like consistency you've established goes out the window. There will be moments in all of our lives when we lose focus on an exercise routine --- unless you're Tony :smile: . For me, both of my parents recently passed away followed closely by another (young) immediate family member. None of them were local, so my travel was neither short nor vacation-related, and was all-consuming considering I have my own family and a business. Life took my tightly controlled routine, laughed at it, and threw it out the window. Not a reason to go back to the way things were and I didn't -- just lost the weight training consistency -- but at some point we're all faced with events that can derail even a long-term success. The metronome gets disrupted.

I think a lot of people gain weight because of an accumulation of life events and ignoring health in the process. That's been my experience at least. It could be death(s) in the family that demand your full attention, family issues, an injury...like I said, life happens.

For me, it was discouraging to see something I'd worked hard for start to slip away. I don't tend to get depressed, but I did find I was anxious/nervous about it as I felt I'd lost control. I never fully derailed (reclaimed 4 of the 8 lbs I'd gained already), but I could see how easy it would be to fall all the way back down once the routine was broken. In those times we need to "keep pressing play" as Tony says. Get the metronome back and don't delay. P90x and these other routines work, but consistency over a lifetime is the key and it's the hardest part, imho. I wish you and all others on this forum good luck with that aspect of it.

Again - great job, and thanks again for the encouragement!

Question: Why do you think you gained the weight in the first place (beyond just the obvious more calories in than out)? I had to think about that pretty hard, and honestly, my answer helped me get back into the routine once the smoke settled from recent events.
  • jrompola
    Options
    Question: Why do you think you gained the weight in the first place (beyond just the obvious more calories in than out)? I had to think about that pretty hard, and honestly, my answer helped me get back into the routine once the smoke settled from recent events.

Good question. The simple answer is I was lazy and didn't feel like working out and I didn't care about my body, so eating a nutritious diet didn't matter to me and I would eat whatever I wanted which clearly consisted of the wrong types of foods. I always knew I should be working out & eating right, but I thought it was too hard and I'm happy so who cares when in reality I could have been much happier. I was never depressed like you, but just didn't feel like putting in the effort.

Everyone needs a why they started something and I've mentioned this in a few of my posts, but I wanted to be healthy when I was older and the #1 way of having a good chance of that happening is to be healthy now.

I understand life happens and we know that will happen. It is how we bounce back that makes us who we are. I think working out can be a great coping mechanism because of all the endorphins that get released.

Sorry to hear about your losses by the way.

Good luck to you and you can definitely add me as a friend on here if you need any push. That's what I did with the 15 or so friends I initially had on here. I tracked everything, commented on their statuses, watched youtube videos, found facebook groups, etc. I basically did not want to fail this time and sought out so many various resources to keep me motivated.
  • Woodrow1234
    Options
    My main obstacle was arrogance - pretty simple at the end of the day. I'd been in great shape through my 20's, I ate well and exercised hard. I'd banked some good health credits. That good health enabled me to stretch myself pretty thin for a while, but through reduced activity, LONG hours at work, a growing family, and a terrible diet, my health went on a slow decline. I was too arrogant (and ignorant) to notice the chipping away until fatigue started to hit and I saw the numbers from a physical. There are certain rules to good health and you can only ignore them for so long, and they apply to everyone. Even skinny people have heart attacks.

So -- with recent events I found that my improved health allowed me to stretch myself thinner, and deal with events better, but this time I know the rules apply to me fully. It can't be ignored, and the damage that I do is long-term, so no point in ignoring it or pretending I can do what others can't.

Motivation to keep myself going - my wife and 4 kids. My youngest (2 year old twin girls) need me around for a long time, and I need to be healthy enough to scare young punks off well into my 50's.:mad: There was no smiley with a shotgun..

Additional motivation - We started a small farm this spring (not primary income generator) so we can grow most of what we eat, and that helps everyone in the family form good habits as well. My kids get excited when they can go out and pick their own food and that's something we can do together which is cool. We also have an aquaponics system going in this fall with a couple hundred fish and year-round veg. I can't wait for that...
  • jrompola
    Options
    My main obstacle was arrogance - pretty simple at the end of the day. I'd been in great shape through my 20's, I ate well and exercised hard. I'd banked some good health credits. That good health enabled me to stretch myself pretty thin for a while, but through reduced activity, LONG hours at work, a growing family, and a terrible diet, my health went on a slow decline. I was too arrogant (and ignorant) to notice the chipping away until fatigue started to hit and I saw the numbers from a physical. There are certain rules to good health and you can only ignore them for so long, and they apply to everyone. Even skinny people have heart attacks.

Now if we could just get more people to think this way and stop looking for the magic pill.
  • turboturtlepower
    Options
    INCREDIBLE! Love seeing your progress and results...BodyBeast is awesome!

I'm on my first round of BB, and doing doubles of T25, myself.
  • jrompola
    Options
    INCREDIBLE! Love seeing your progress and results...BodyBeast is awesome!

I'm on my first round of BB, and doing doubles of T25, myself.

Good for you. No doubles for me though!! Maybe once or twice a month I'll do doubles which generally includes running, but I don't normally double up beachbody workouts.
  • DUCKIEGYRL
    DUCKIEGYRL Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Amazing
  • MechelleWiesenthal
    Options
    Your transformation is incredible, wow!!! So many inspiring stories on this thread, I am seriously impressed! A lot of you have been working hard on Beach Body programs, I love to see that, I am a Beach Body coach. I've had pretty amazing results myself, have done P90X twice, did P90X2, Ultimate Reset, and now I just started T25!!! Ready for another round of serious work!!!
    ~Mechelle
  • Ninguneado73
    Ninguneado73 Posts: 832
    Options
    Great job man!
  • jrompola
    Options
    Your transformation is incredible, wow!!! So many inspiring stories on this thread, I am seriously impressed! A lot of you have been working hard on Beach Body programs, I love to see that, I am a Beach Body coach. I've had pretty amazing results myself, have done P90X twice, did P90X2, Ultimate Reset, and now I just started T25!!! Ready for another round of serious work!!!
    ~Mechelle

Thanks. Looks like you've had quite the change as well. I'm sure you'll say the workout does not matter as much as fixing your diet does. You can do any workout you want, but if you don't change up that diet you aren't going to change too much.
  • NCMoonshine
    Options
    Awesome job! Seeing your results is definitely a motivation. I'm currently doing Body Beast with 6 weeks remaining. I'm gonna keep eating and keep working hard. Thanks for sharing your story.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!