Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness

Options

Replies

• AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Just stick with it. It sucks doing another workout when your entire body aches, but the only way to get rid of that soreness is to continue doing it. Ice it. Stretch. Etc... but don't stop working out! Eventually your body will get used to the movement, and you won't feel as much pain. When I was doing P90X, in the beginning it sucked and I could barely move, but by the time I stopped it and moved onto something else I barely felt it. Your body will adapt if you keep moving!
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Do you guys think that swimming could help? I know it isn't the same kind of exercise, but it's like 110 degrees out today and a swim seems like a better alternative than walking. My legs really hurt, but it seems like being in the water might help. Also, I have been stretching since I posted here and it's already making a difference. Aaaah, sweet relief.
  • SusanB148
    SusanB148 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Try swimming and see how it feels to you. If it's too much while you are that sore, you can always just float on the water and relax!
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    D.O.M.S is just your muscles hugging you for taking care of them.:wink:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    DOMS is incurable. The good news is that it goes away on its own, and you can generally still go for a walk while it's going away.
  • wildfirediva
    wildfirediva Posts: 212
    Options
    Keep well hydrated and make sure you are meeting your protein macros (especially the bit before and after a workout). [Easier said than done believe me.]

The foam roller and a lacrosse ball (much harder and more effective than a tennis ball) have been life savers. As well as ibuprofen for those REALLY bad days were even sitting or raising your arms is a challenge. But like others I challenge myself to move through the pain/burn as much as possible without looking like I am hurting.

Pay attention to your body to make sure what you are feeling is truly as a result of pushing your limits/over training or a real injury that needs to be rested.
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    The last time I had DOMS it went for about 3
    miserable weeks. I don't take pain relievers of
    any kind but chamomile bath soaks were useful.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    DOMS can't be cured, but the best way I've found to combat it is after a particularly hard workout, do ice immersion therapy. I got into while playing college sports, and I think it works wonders. After your workout, fill up your bathtub with cold water and add in ice. I usually get a couple of large bags from the gas station on my way home. Then immerse whatever body part (usually legs) for as long as you can stand it and then (here's the hardest part) let your body warm up naturally. The thought is that your bodies natural survival mode will kick in and rush warm, nutrient rich blood to that body part, pushing out the lactic acid that creates sore muscles. It is pointless if you don't let your body warm up naturally though, which usually takes me about 30 minutes. It seems counter-intuitive considering how good heat feels on sore muscles, but now the cold feels great, especially on a hot summer day.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Um, thanks for the help everyone... this is 11 months old though. How on earth did it resurface?!?

ETA: fortunately I don't still have the DOMS since I asked the question :tongue:
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    As a disclaimer, I am speaking from almost purely experience.

Soreness is inevitable especially when doing a hard workout for the first time. You can stretch and do every trick there is, but you will still be sore the next day. Also, I've found that soreness is actually at it's worst the 2nd day after. Doing a light workout while sore can help alleviate the pain a bit. Take some Advil or other NSAIDs if it is really bad. As your body adapts to working out, you will get less and less sore.

It's not a bad thing. It means you are working hard. Embrace it!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Accept it. Embrace it. Crave it. LOVE it.

QFT

photo24.jpg
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    "Experiencing this pain in my muscles and aching and going on and on is my challenge. The last three or four reps is what makes the muscles grow. This area of pain divides a champion from someone who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what happens. I have no fear of fainting. I do squats until I fall over and pass out. So what? It's not going to kill me. I wake up five minutes later and I'm OK. A lot of other athletes are afraid of this. So they don't pass out. They don't go on." - Arnold Schwarzenegger!
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my foam roller! Best advice I ever got! Haha to the zombie thread!
  • RAGGEDYANN1970
    RAGGEDYANN1970 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    take advil and do some walking the next two days.
    i LOVE to feel that burn and hurt and soreness! :tongue:
  • ashleyisgreat
    Options
    Um, thanks for the help everyone... this is 11 months old though. How on earth did it resurface?!?

ETA: fortunately I don't still have the DOMS since I asked the question :tongue:

It was meeeeee. :blushing: Sorry!!! lol.

Also, my legs hurt WORSE now than they did yesterday. I went swimming yesterday and stretched like every couple hours. MAN, I hurt myself. Should I wait until the pain subsides to more of a lingering-type pain before I try squats and lunges again? Right now it KILLS to sit down and stand up again (i.e., like when I'm going to the bathroom! haha).
  • SusanB148
    SusanB148 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    For one thing, I would suggest you not do any more workouts until your muscles feel much better!

Then next time, don't push as hard if you don't want that kind of hard core DOMS to happen again.

I don't mind a little soreness after a workout, but while I want to stay fit and avoid gaining weight, I'm not trying to be a muscle building champion and am not interested in dealing with incapacitating DOMS for days!
  • ashleyisgreat
    Options
    For one thing, I would suggest you not do any more workouts until your muscles feel much better!

Then next time, don't push as hard if you don't want that kind of hard core DOMS to happen again.

I don't mind a little soreness after a workout, but while I want to stay fit and avoid gaining weight, I'm not trying to be a muscle building champion and am not interested in dealing with incapacitating DOMS for days!

Haha, definitely don't want to be a bodybuilder or anything. I'm just very, very (embarrassingly) out of shape. I won't say how MANY squats and lunges I did to hurt myself like this...but it wasn't very many. lol. I am resting up until I feel somewhat normal again, and then I'll do it half as hard next time.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Taking a bath in either Epson salt or Peppermint Oil seems to help alot. At a health food store if you pick up Arnica Cream that helps alot with sore muscles. Make sure to stretch really well, sometimes just taking extra time to stretch can be a big help. Sounds wierd but Cottage Cheese actually really helps my muscles feel better. I think just really upping protein after you lift helps with them being sore maybe add a low calorie protein shake after you lift to help your muscles recover.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    So yesterday I pushed myself extra hard on my leg workout and man did it feel like a success! Then I woke up today. Ow!

I stretched before, after, and during a hot shower right before bed. Today I stretched, walked, swam, took a hot shower, and stretched again. My legs are still killing me and tomorrow is supposed to be my active rest day off of strength training. That means 30 min of moderate cardio, which will suck.

I'm not really sure how to ease the pain, or prevent it in the future and I'm wondering if anyone has some strategies for me. Google was essentially useless in this respect so if anyone could share their strategies or point me to some articles that would be awesome!

Cheers :drinker:

I don't know what it is about doing Aquacize that is so magic, but it sure seems so to me. I was so stiff and sore the other day (from overdoing it) and then I went for my usual Aquacize class. All pool exercise classes are designed to strengthen and make limber all the muscles in the body and maybe that has something to do with it. All I know that when I am feeling stiff and sore, I head for the pool and the aches and pains disappear like magic. Maybe the cold water has something to do with it too.:drinker:
  • Jett_05
    Jett_05 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    1)Postwork-out: Potassium
    2) Postwork-out: Stretching (and holding the stretches)
    3) Schedule a massage (preferably with someone who is well versed and understands/respects fitness)

I know there is a big "love the burn" movement but honestly...if it keeps you from your future workouts because you can't move as freely...it might not be as awesome as it is cracked out to be.