Have you given up alcohol to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    NO
  • ERBred
    ERBred Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I still have my glass of wine on the weekends....but I log it in. Makes me think carefully before I do anymore junk food. One of my tricks recently is to have sparkling water with dinner instead of wine. Feels a little more decadent and no calories added. Also doesn't break down my inhibitions on snacks.

So Pelligrino my friend.
  • FedoraNinja
    Options
    No, but if I go out to drink with friends, I order food BEFORE I start drinking. That way I can make a good, sober choice in regards to what I snack on.

Doing it the other way around, drunk me is very likely to say "Oh god, yes, please bring me all the pub nachos! ALL OF THEM!"
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I haven't given it up at ALL, I just drink less of it.
    For example, it used to be commonplace for me to drink a bottle of wine all in one sitting or maybe 3 beers when I went out.

Now? I have maybe 1-2 drinks a week and I make sure I account for them in my calories. I enjoy them, I just don't pound them back like I used to.

Everything in moderation my dear...just like pizza, burgers, fries, chips, chocolate, etc. I eat it all - just not like I used to :)
  • rhonderoo
    rhonderoo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    When I'm cutting back on the carbs and sugar, I try. I don't drink during the week, but the weekends and being social kill me. I have to moderate, or I'm nibbling... or worse. A glass or two of wine, mostly. I have tried to go with red instead of white since I don't drink it as fast, or have a beer since that fills me up and I don't drink that as fast. Thank god for skinny drinks, too. I try to workout and earn some extra calories if I know I'm going to have alcohol, but sometimes it doesn't work out.
  • mcanavan05
    mcanavan05 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Guess this answers it. It's Saturday 8pm..I've run 2 miles today and looking forward to 2-3miles tomorrow. Instead of bloody mary breakfast and 1-5pm miller lites.. I do better when I cut out the beer, the beer turns to late night food, etc.. glass of red during the week or a black coffee in the evening for a while ...lets see if I take off again and break 200..feel free to add..though cutting it out for now and admitting what it does (or adds..pizza, snacks, etc).. also reducing cigar intake..
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I never drank a lot but now I don't go from the bars but more drink at home or a party where I can control what I drink. My favorite is spirit zero with a shot of flavored volka about 100 calories for a shot and it tastes so good!
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Not at all. In fact, the past three times I've had a night of heavy drinking I have weighed two pounds less the next day, and kept it off. I wouldn't recommend it, just something I've noticed since I hop on the scale to see how much damage I've done...

I like vodka, though, so not nearly as big a calorie killer as other rinks.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I do massive cardio workouts to fit in the alcohol. Sixty five minutes on the elliptical buys a bottle of wine.

Brilliant answer. : )
  • heywithers
    heywithers Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i've given it up
    hasn't bothered me
    bothers my friends and boyfriend though cause its "no fun"
    but i havent drank in 3-4 months and have lost 30 pounds not sure if my results would be different if i had been drinking the whole time!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Technically, no, I haven't given up ANYTHING. However, I usually have one drink ( margarita or pina colada) every three or four years, so the issue hasn't come up in the four months I've been on this site..
  • MrsFowler1069
    Options
    Well, I'm a newbie, just down 18 pounds, but I am firmly in the camp that you don't have to give up any one things as long as you can budget it into your calories. However, if one things turns into twenty-five things and a pizza, it requires more budgeting. lol

In the past not-quite-a-month since I started, I have had two drinks, two times at home. Last night I went to a friend's house and I knew we were going to drink, so I had just enough through the day to keep me from being ravenous when I got there. I had a fair amount of whiskey (by far my preference) and two Bull Blasters, because they were on the menu there. : ) Truth is, I did go very slightly over my goal for the day, but only because he also bought pizza. lol I didn't go crazy, though, and the preparation made all the difference in my level of success and not feeling bad about it. It was such a great plan, we're doing it again tonight....but I'm bringing dinner. :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Not at all. In fact, the past three times I've had a night of heavy drinking I have weighed two pounds less the next day, and kept it off. I wouldn't recommend it, just something I've noticed since I hop on the scale to see how much damage I've done...

I like vodka, though, so not nearly as big a calorie killer as other rinks.

It's from dehydration. But, hey, that's great that it stuck.
  • MrsFowler1069
    Options
    It's from dehydration.
    [/quote]

My first thought, too, but maybe not if it's staying off... as to the vodka, I agree. I'm a whiskey drinker, but skipping on the mixers of pop, juice, etc, makes a difference too. I love ice. lol
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    No, but if I go out to drink with friends, I order food BEFORE I start drinking. That way I can make a good, sober choice in regards to what I snack on.

Doing it the other way around, drunk me is very likely to say "Oh god, yes, please bring me all the pub nachos! ALL OF THEM!"

See, when I go out I drink on an empty stomach so a little bit goes a looooong way ;)
  • BenPolonowski
    BenPolonowski Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I don't drink as much alcohol as I used to. But I still like to tie one on sometimes, so I just account for it. I agree with many of the posters about making poor food choices after you drink, happens to me sometimes.
  • MrsFowler1069
    Options
    Given up alcohol? NO, NEVER! Reduced my alcohol consumption? Yes! Everything in moderation.

:drinker:
  • BenPolonowski
    BenPolonowski Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ Everything in moderation....especially moderation:tongue:
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    No. I don't drink very often though. But when I do I fit it into my calorie intake or I have it on my cheat days. It seems to work just fine for me and others lol
  • shell1379
    shell1379 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I still have a drink but in moderation just like foods that i crave just enough to satisfy the craving. There is Skinny Girl cocktail which I don't have full glasses just a shot. Also try not drinking beer but Red wine or vodka over ice with fresh squeeze grapefruit.