Have you given up alcohol to lose weight?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Britt73087
    Options
    I am struggling with this as well!!!! My fiancé and I like to go out ALOT! We go out almost every weekend and drink. It's so hard to say no when ppl are always asking you to go out, especially since summer time is here. I haven't given up alcohol but I have tried to change what I drink. Instead of drinking cranberry and vodka I try to drink things like un sweet iced tea (which is 0 calories) and blueberry or peach vodka or vodka and mio. (I order vodka and water and then add mio) I also love shots, so I have tried to cut back on those as well.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    I've given up food to lose weight.

Give up alcohol? ummmm :noway:
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'll be one to add to the "I haven't given it up" comments. I don't drink that often in any case, my problems come from soda/beer.. one can leads to another, then me wanting fries and a burger.. I just stay away from it unless it's an occasion.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It's from dehydration.

My first thought, too, but maybe not if it's staying off... as to the vodka, I agree. I'm a whiskey drinker, but skipping on the mixers of pop, juice, etc, makes a difference too. I love ice. lol

I wonder if it's from this: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    No, have not given up alchohol. However, just like anything else I consume I am aware of the number of calories and try to moderate so I can stay under my daily target. I find the concept of totally giving up something a poor strategy because once a person says they cannot have something they begin to crave it more and they find it hard to maintain over a long haul.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    It's from dehydration.

My first thought, too, but maybe not if it's staying off... as to the vodka, I agree. I'm a whiskey drinker, but skipping on the mixers of pop, juice, etc, makes a difference too. I love ice. lol

I wonder if it's from this: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

Yep, that's what I think it is. Each time I had been stuck for a couple weeks. I think I have water problems, but that's for another thread... (Been tested for diabetes many, many times due to thirst)
  • jonathanp2
    jonathanp2 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I still have a drink. I have not really given up anything. I add it to my calories and if I am under and not in the red, and it's the end if the day(, then I will go for it. The second I get close to my goal or I am in the red for sugar, sodium. Then I stop. It is all about self control, not totally stopping.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Yes... I gave it up. No I don't miss it at all.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I like my whiskey neat, which saves on calories and unnerves the boys

I love this. lol Direct quote from last night, while I was out with "the boys"....

First guy, as we were both being offered fresh drinks: "I'll just have what she's having."

Friend who was serving: "Uh, she's just drinking whiskey."

First guy: "Plain?! Oh, F%&* that! I'll have a rum and diet. And a bottle of water."

LOL!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    No but I hardly drank it in the first place. I have a beer once a month or something...
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I'm in the drink once in a blue moon camp.

I used to drink more, but found that I could cope less and less well with the day after as I got older..... so nothing to do with weightloss. I will say that crappy workouts for a day or two after a heavy session do bum me out a bit - but that's more to do with performance.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    When I lost the majority of my weight, I didn't give up alcohol until the last 10 pounds (not counting my last bulk and cut cycle). In all, I gave it up for 3 months. It did have an impact on weight loss, but I'm pretty sure I would have had the loss no matter where I cut the calories.

I have incorporated alcohol back in, and drink a glass of whisky or a beer or a glass of wine at night. Not every night, but I've worked it back into my calories and macros.
  • coderedjulia
    Options
    Some people have better control when they drink alcohol. If you can have a glass of wine during dinner, and be fine. I say go for it, but then there are people like me who will prolly drink the entire bottle..lol. Then end up eating more than I should. Kinda like a person who can have one piece of piece of candy without demolishing the entire bag. Which going out, like some said, is also a problem with me too. I try not to go to bars or resteraunts when I am dieting. So its prolly not ideal for me to be a hermit at my house and not go out and socialize, but it has helped me to better control myself and lose the weight. Then after those 10 pounds are lost, I can have a cheat meal at a resteraunt or a couple of beers with friends.
  • Siegel15
    Siegel15 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had to give it up. It kept ruining my progress. I'd start gaining back.
    I do not miss it one bit! I'd rather have the weight loss, thank you very much.
  • KardioKim
    KardioKim Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I haven't given it up but I must be so careful with the calorie count. I like wine, so it adds up fast. That terrible cycle of drinking/snacking is bad news for me.
  • april27kelli
    april27kelli Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I've never liked beer... haven't had one since my 21st birthday (which was in the late 90s)... and I've never liked sweet, sugary girly drinks either... my drink of choice was always Jack & Coke... but I haven't had one of those in about a year. I just hate spending my calories on liquid. So even though I never really thought of it as 'giving it up' ~ I guess I kinda have. Don't really miss it, either.