Evening cut off time for eating!?!

Options
Do you personally believe that you shouldn't eat past a certain time of night if trying to lose weight? What time is it?

Replies

• Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat much later than 8:30 or 9:00 at night....not because I don't think people shouldn't eat late, because sometimes that's unavoidable, but because I don't sleep as well when I have eaten any later than that.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    After I get into bed -- don't like crumbs on the sheets.
  • Chrisplayer136
    Chrisplayer136 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I try to eat my last meal by 5pm, or at the very latest 6pm. If I start to get cravings, I just drink a big glass of ice water.
  • Mikemax125
    Mikemax125 Posts: 108
    Options
    There is no "magical" cut off time this is a myth. Total caloric intake for the day is whats important. I eat about 70% of my carbs before I go to sleep everynight and have never had a problem.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    There is no "magical" cut off time this is a myth. Total caloric intake for the day is whats important. I eat about 70% of my carbs before I go to sleep everynight and have never had a problem.

Do you eat the other 30% after?!

(teasing -- teasing -- I know what you meant)
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    No there is no maigcal cut of time when you have to stop eating, it all depends on the individual. So people find it hard to sleep on a full stomach personally I have no problems whats so ever eating minutes before I sleep. To prove a point I work shifts, so one day I could be working nights not getting up till 3pm and not sleeping till 7am next day. My body doesnt know what time it is, it just know its needs fuel and im sending some down regardless. Also you need to remember you need energy even when you are sleeping, because otherwise you might suffer from a servere case of death!
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I get heartburn if I eat too much too late in the day.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I try to give myself enough time to swallow before falling asleep. So I'd give myself at least 30 seconds before bedtime. But you should brush your teeth as well, so maybe five minutes? Yeah, I'd cut off my eating 5 minutes before falling asleep in the evening. Oh, and don't forget to floss.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Let's see... I woke up at 10 pm and had yesterday's evening snack at midnight (still got yesterday's breakfast, lunch, and dinner to eat).

Tried carb tapering. Tried having my last meal earlier. Tried meeting micro-nutrient RDAs. And no, those weren't to help me lose weight, they were to try and help me sleep (also tried sleeping pills and herbal supplements). I have insomnia and a circadian rhythm disorder, so if I had a cut-off time there would be some days I wouldn't eat.

Experiment if need be, and see if the results say anything (e.g. sleep/digestion/etc better with a cut-off time). It's 03:32 and time for my porridge. Quality sleep improves athletic performance, but isn't necessary for weight loss. "No eating after sunset/twilight/dusk" might even be too restrictive for some people and cause low compliance rates.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    nope.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I try to give myself enough time to swallow before falling asleep. So I'd give myself at least 30 seconds before bedtime. But you should brush your teeth as well, so maybe five minutes? Yeah, I'd cut off my eating 5 minutes before falling asleep in the evening. Oh, and don't forget to floss.

Wait, can I change my answer to this one? It is hell when you fall asleep and you haven't swallowed yet.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Wait, can I change my answer to this one? It is hell when you fall asleep and you haven't swallowed yet.

Not to mention the icky taste it'll leave in your mouth.
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    No. That being said I try not to eat after 8 pm only to avoid acid reflux when I go sleeps.
  • RAGGEDYANN1970
    RAGGEDYANN1970 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    it has never mattered to my body. i eat anytime i want as long as i stay within my calories. i was successful in losing 41 lbs last year before i got pg.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    You might see a difference because of bloating, but meal timings don't matter.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I try to give myself 15-30 minutes before I go to bed. I don't get heartburn, but in my mind I don't think I should lay down with fresh food still floating around in my stomach. I like to let gravity help out a little and let the digestion process start. Plus, I'm a tummy sleeper, and laying on my tummy with a full belly is uncomfortable.
  • cbc937
    cbc937 Posts: 15
    Options
    not eating before bed is bullcrap - there is a specific "timing" to eating, however yes you can eat before bed and should

the one guy said he eats 70% of carbs before bed is just retarded....

hes either on steroids or gifted genetics..........

but he is right with the "myth" part - carbs = energy and if you don't use them in the day they store as fat... however you can eat them before bed if your macros are spread out.

you should eat 30-40% carbs before working out 1.5 - 30 minutes before and 25% GI carbs post workout

rest can be spread out how you would like as long as they are clean carbs...... to reach your total macro nutritionally level
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    I have a strict rule to stop snacking by 7am so that i can have a proper breakfast. you will hear all kinds of things from it does not matter at all to the Intermitten Fasters who eat 10000 calories in two hours but that is it. I say find what works for you and does not leave you feeling hungry.
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    A couple years ago, my nutritionist/trainer had me drink a protein shake 10 min before I went to bed. He said it would keep my metabolism up and running through the night. I truly believe him because every time i stuck to this, I lost weight, when I would quit doing it, my weight lose slowed. When trying to lose weight, I still try to do this.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    A couple years ago, my nutritionist/trainer had me drink a protein shake 10 min before I went to bed. He said it would keep my metabolism up and running through the night. I truly believe him because every time i stuck to this, I lost weight, when I would quit doing it, my weight lose slowed. When trying to lose weight, I still try to do this.
    Metabolism runs whether you're awake or asleep. No metabolism means you're dead.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition