You're not "special"

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
What I am saying here is that unless one is suffering from a health issue or a reaction to certain foods, then eating a calorie deficit is what one needs to do to lose weight.

Not some special diet, supplement, concoction, shake, meal timing, carb manipulation, etc. All of them have one thing in common when trying to get one to lose weight.......................less calorie intake vs calories burned.

Don't think that you're NOT going to be the one who regains after getting off some special diet. 90% plus do and odds aren't in your favor.
Some will say that they have control though. Apparently people have control over their money and spending, yet the majority of people still live paycheck to paycheck or are just scrapping by.

What's the point here?

You don't NEED to spend extra money on carefully thought out diet plans that were concocted to make money for the seller.
Just eat less and move a little more.

That's not to say you can't enhance your body with exercise, but it just boils down to calorie in/calories out when it comes to actual weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    But... my mommy says I'm special...

ps, I agree. Just thought I should throw that in there.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    makes sense to me :wink:
  • mcflat29
    mcflat29 Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    Agree if I get one more person trying to hook me on shakeology... :noway: I even told one, "Sorry, I don't do fads". They actually tried to give me a lecture on why it wasn't a fad... :grumble:
  • NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Very well written... I needed to read this. Thank you:flowerforyou:
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    :drinker:

Here, here!
  • smirf1972
    smirf1972 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    soap box anyone lol:laugh:

your right though:drinker:
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    Tis true. Learning this has made my life so much easier.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Here here!
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with this. I was once told by trainer that based on my blood type I should eat more carbs. Oddly enough when I eat carbs I gain weight and feel terrible. I think I will use my own brain thanks. But yeah, not special.
  • xclassiqx
    xclassiqx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    --I agree wholeheartedly with this post but....
    People don't want to hear this though.
    It's much easier to believe going on a fad diet will get them the body they've always wanted.
  • allstatemom
    allstatemom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have noticed how disappointed people are when I tell them I lost weight by eating less and exercising more. I know they wanted me to tell them some magic diet I went on. They also don't like it when I say it took me 3 years to lose 40 pounds. They want to lose 40 pounds in 4 months.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    But...But...Nevermind... * Pours her "fat flush" water down the drain... * :sad:
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    There are 2 sides to the deficit equation: calories in and calories out. I agree with this. We have direct control over calories in. That's the simple side of the equation. But we also have control over the calories out side. Directly via exercise. Indirectly via our diet. I believe there are diets that enhance metabolic efficiency. I think this is where all the controversy sets in. Which diet does maximize metabolic efficiency? Keto, Paleo, Slow Carb, Twinkie, Macros, IF, MFP etc., etc., etc... That argument could and will go on forever.

But I think your most important point is long term viability of a particular dietary approach for each individual. Trying something whacky and losing a bunch of weight is great. Gaining it all back because that diet is not sustainable for the individual is not great. Each individual should identify an approach that they think they can sustain long term and start with that. Make some adjustments along the way. You may not lose weight as fast as you would like, but when you do get to your goal weight, the transition will be simple and sustainable. Slow and steady wins this race.

Thank you for this excellent thread.

Tom
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have noticed how disappointed people are when I tell them I lost weight by eating less and exercising more. I know they wanted me to tell them some magic diet I went on. They also don't like it when I say it took me 3 years to lose 40 pounds. They want to lose 40 pounds in 4 months.

^^ This! I'm 3 lbs from goal (almost 40 lbs gone total) and so many of my FB friends are doing Herbalife and dropping the same in 1/4 of the time it took me. I don't want to see them fail, but I don't think they will sustain their weightloss. Counting calories teaches us how to have a good relationship with food, even if we go through a phase of calorie obsession.
  • _Giggles_
    _Giggles_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is so true.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Pssh, speak for yourself. I'm incredibly special!
  • N8r8r
    N8r8r Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    But... my mommy says I'm special...

ps, I agree. Just thought I should throw that in there.

:drinker: on that one
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    love! :flowerforyou:
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    So true. I'm tired of seeing people on these forums give advice like "Well for ME, mfp wasn't working. I HAVE to cut out sugar to lose weight. Try cutting sugar out of your diet!" Again, unless you have a special medical condition, you don't HAVE to cut out anything to lose. And are you going to just never eat sugar again for the rest of your life?

And the scams you have to pay for are even worse.
  • mumx5
    mumx5 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Well said!