You're not "special"

Options

Replies

• FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I AM SPECIAL!!!!! I am a delicate little snowflake and to suggest otherwise is offensive! :explode: :noway:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Genuine question: is there really no distinction of types of calories in? I basically agree with your stance, but I've noticed in my own regimen that the more (non-vegetable derived) carb I eat, the harder it is for me to lose weight. So even holding total calories in constant, I lose faster when I eat more protein/fat and less carb. To the point where I can lose faster even when I eat a few more calories this way, than lower calories with higher carbs. I'm still in a deficit overall either way. So yeah, I guess I just wonder if calorie deficit is a necessary but not sufficient condition, at least for some of us. And then, does that make us special?
    Carbs are converted into glycogen and stored in the cells. To do this, water is also needed. So when someone goes low carb the initial loss will be lots of glycogen along with water. Protein and fats don't need water to be stored in the body, so this would mean less water weight. Once a low carber consumes carbs, it's not unusual for their weight to skyrocket because of glycogen and water storage again.
    And this happens with basically everyone in the general population. So not "special".

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I read on another site that resulted in my finally being able to lose weight. "Nobody violates the first rule of thermodynamics. If you're in a deficit you lose, in a surplus you gain." I had been resistant to weighing my food until I read this from a well respected poster. I started weighing and I started losing.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Think NROLW is one of those money-making machines.
    Nope. Lifting weights actually is a great weight to lose weight and "harden" up those unconditioned muscles. Nothing wrong with a system that actually promotes health and is actually sustainable (once you learn it, you don't have to keep paying) for life.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    So you've cracked the code but still managed to eat yourself out of shape? :)
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    So true! I feel bad for the people who spend all the money on the gimmicks to lose weight. Or who go on the crazy diets and deprive themselves.

I also get the "look", when I tell people I lost the weight from eating better and exercising. Then they look strangely at me when I eat a hamburger or have a piece of cake. They must think I starve and never have a treat.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I am too. niner, going to wrestle you now. ;/
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Blanket statements... all kinds of fallacies. If people weren't unique the same exact diet and exercise routine would work for everyone.
    Calorie deficit is what works for weight loss. There's NO DISCREPANCY from any Journals of Medicine, Physiology, Biology, etc. on this.
    As mentioned, unless there's health issues (including hormonal), reactions to certain foods calorie deficit works. There's no mention of what type of exercise or what type of diet to do to achieve this on the OP. Some will do it with IIFYM, some with 6 meals a day, etc., but it comes down to calorie deficit.

So again, not special. Show me someone losing weight eating a calorie surplus..................that would be special.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Did you...just call Niner out of shape?

....I'm not sure what to say to that.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Lol, not out of shape. If I'm at 165lbs (which is what I have for goal) I'm at 9% BF or less. It's just a temporary goal since at my age it's hard to sustain, but to attain it for a couple of days would be good enough to say I did it again after last doing it 23 years ago. I hover right around 180lbs-190lbs year in and year out which keeps me at about 15%-20% BF well within reason.

IDEA Fitness member
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    100 pounds and totally sedentary, injured in bed. I can still eat 2000 calories and stay at this weight. Eating 2500+ consistently for 6 months lead to a gain of 1 pound per month. I've never dieted for weight loss. still going to wrestle you. ;P
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    Never having dieted is part of the answer. :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    100 pounds and totally sedentary, injured in bed. I can still eat 2000 calories and stay at this weight. Eating 2500+ consistently for 6 months lead to a gain of 1 pound per month. I've never dieted for weight loss. still going to wrestle you. ;P
    As long as I get to wear spandex.:wink:

IDEA Fitness member
  • resistance_freak
    Options
    I'm just here for the wrestling match
  • bspikes86
    bspikes86 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i know this has probably been asked a million too, but you are a personal trainer. is it really important to eat back your calories burned? i really dont understand. i am really heavy and have 130 pounds to lose. i assumed that 1600 calories is enough to be losing weight. i would appreciate your input.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

you always wear spandex! silly.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    Wait, didn't you get in trouble a year or two ago for being too sexy in those spandex? ;D
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    i know this has probably been asked a million too, but you are a personal trainer. is it really important to eat back your calories burned? i really dont understand. i am really heavy and have 130 pounds to lose. i assumed that 1600 calories is enough to be losing weight. i would appreciate your input.
    PM your stats.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

lets-get-ready-to-rumble-a.gif

LET'S GET READY TO RUMMMBLLE!!!!!!!
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Kind of sounds like what my doctor (who's been slim all her life) told me. I was trying to tell her how I was struggling to lose weight and she quipped "The law of thermodynamics still applies.". Um, thanks. I will be sure to stop stuffing myself with potato chips every evening and eating chocolate bars for lunch. Duh!

I DO agree that a calorie deficit is what you need to lose weight.

However, HOW to get that calorie deficit and keep it up is the tricky bit. Different things will work for different people and for many people, it's HARD.