You're not "special"

Options

Replies

• tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose weight get out of debt and watch carve. I am diabetic. My nutritionist said no garb is also not healthy for me. So 45 grams of carb for a meal and 30 for a snack. I lose more when I follow this. Probably has more to do with my blood sugar. Its weird because when I eat low carb i still eat way too much. I don't eat less. She gave me a ratio of 2/3 plate with veggies 1/3
    carb 1/3 protein. It works for me. I believe calories in calories out. Its science but we might have other factors. Fad diets are a waste of time.I think a normal person could eat junk all day and syllable lose. If you burn more than you eat. Its common sense.
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Stupid spell correct
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Marry me. :flowerforyou:
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Not always easy but it is always simple. :drinker:
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Clicked done before I was. ::smh:: All that excitement got my fingers moving fast! ha!

My sister is overweight also. Doctor put her on medication. Says she can only go on it for 3 months, then off of it for 6 months. She lost 30 lbs in 3 months. She also gained it all back and then some after being OFF of the pill for 2 months. Now ... this is also the same gal that refuses to cut back on things. She is a fast food junkie, and well.. she refuses to change that. She had a membership to the gym... but alas, complained and never went back. Point is... you can't lose if you don't WANT it. NO pill is ever gonna put the determination in your heart...and the movement into your feet.

Well said OP
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Not always easy but it is always simple. :)

That's well put....
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Very well said. :flowerforyou: I'd like to share my story about this :smile: ...

I didn't start seeing significant loss until I started ensuring Calories In < Calories Out on a regular and CONSISTENT basis. I'd also like to point out that my macros don't really matter either.

Used to be so focused on what my protein/ carb / fat ratio should be. Now I pretty much just try to eat what I know is well-balanced. I don't eat a ton of sugar, stay away from fried stuff, and try to snack on fruit and vegetables as often as possible.

Yes, there have been days where half my calories probably came from a giant cookie at a bakery or a slice of pizza and wings... however one thing remains the same......

As long as I remain in a DEFICIT, I've continued to see the weight come off. And its coming off in a manner that I'm proud of.... slowly.. but I'm also seeing a huge improvement in muscle tone and inches lost.
  • taku240se
    taku240se Posts: 14
    Options
    Good thread you guys and gals :-)
  • librarianjenne
    librarianjenne Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Could you please get a time machine, travel back to 1989 and tell this to my 18 year old self? Now, she won't believe you b/c she, well, knows EVERYTHING. When she argues just thump her on the nose for me will you? Thank you.

I would be much better off if someone had told my 18-year-old self the same thing in 1989!
  • NikAtNight82
    NikAtNight82 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    null-3.jpg
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I agree with the basic premise of if you have a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Beyond that, I think different things work for different people. LIke more exercise or little, low carbs or not, weighing daily or not, etc...

Mfp has been a life saver in helping me lose weigh(by creating a caloric deficit):)
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have noticed how disappointed people are when I tell them I lost weight by eating less and exercising more. I know they wanted me to tell them some magic diet I went on. They also don't like it when I say it took me 3 years to lose 40 pounds. They want to lose 40 pounds in 4 months.
    ^^Hit the nail right on the head!^^ It's exactly how I lost the weight (50 lbs in one year). No diet drugs, no diet shakes, and no wacky diet plans that cost hundreds of dollars, none of it! It's been all about control, and ever since I got diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes last year, I vowed to control the diabetes, not allow the other way to come around. :wink:
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    _facebook_-2100691292_zps16b413e2.jpg
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Kind of sounds like what my doctor (who's been slim all her life) told me. I was trying to tell her how I was struggling to lose weight and she quipped "The law of thermodynamics still applies.". Um, thanks. I will be sure to stop stuffing myself with potato chips every evening and eating chocolate bars for lunch. Duh!

I DO agree that a calorie deficit is what you need to lose weight.

However, HOW to get that calorie deficit and keep it up is the tricky bit. Different things will work for different people and for many people, it's HARD.

Indeed!

I was an IDIOT. I believed I wasn't special, so did my doctors. Everyone thought because I was overweight I was overestimating my caloric burn & underestimating my caloric consumption. Dismissing overweight people as just being sloth-like and gluttonous is just plain insulting.

Ahem. Calories in vs Calories out my *kitten*.

NO one counted on metabolic disorder, not even me. Having been healthy ALL my life, it came as a surprise but along with it vindication.

I KNEW I wasn't crazy!!
  • Vicki8524
    Vicki8524 Posts: 33
    Options
    I don't respond to a lot of posts, but this is one I totally agree. I can't understand people that do food restrictions or special diets. Just eat less of what you like! It just sounds so cruel to your body to eliminate foods that you like.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    What I am saying here is that unless one is suffering from a health issue or a reaction to certain foods, then eating a calorie deficit is what one needs to do to lose weight.

Agreed.
    Not some special diet, supplement, concoction, shake, meal timing, carb manipulation, etc. All of them have one thing in common when trying to get one to lose weight.......................less calorie intake vs calories burned.

This goes more to the psychology of weight loss. Some people do better, for example, by eating only once a day (Intermittent Fasting) as opposed to eating throughout the day. Others benefit from a very streamlined eating regime for a limited period. Creating a calorie deficit is the common goal, but how people reach it is different.

Some will say that they have control though. Apparently people have control over their money and spending, yet the majority of people still live paycheck to paycheck or are just scrapping by.

Eating and finances are two completely different areas. I'm sure there are lots of overweight people with excellent finances.

You don't NEED to spend extra money on carefully thought out diet plans that were concocted to make money for the seller.
    Just eat less and move a little more.

Some people benefit from different kinds of motivation. Eating less does basically work for me, but it apparently is hard for some people. I need a lot of motivation and toys to do rigorous exercise. I find it boring and I've done it enough to realize that I'm not likely to change my feelings. But I still want to do it.
  • eharn02
    eharn02 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you're saying I don't always have to 'eat clean' I love this post. I really don't know if I could eat clean for the rest of my life. What are everybody's thoughts on taking the old Weight Watchers plan approach? It was strictly based on calories in versus calories out. Everything was fair game as long you stayed within your points. I would take this approach within reason and use some of the eat clean tips I've learned; however, I just feel like I'm setting myself up for failure everytime I am dead set on eating clean for the week. It leads to a HORRIBLE weekend and I feel incredibly guilty every Monday -- today included. This post is good stuff. Looking forward to your comments!:smooched:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    If you're saying I don't always have to 'eat clean' I love this post. I really don't know if I could eat clean for the rest of my life. What are everybody's thoughts on taking the old Weight Watchers plan approach? It was strictly based on calories in versus calories out.

I expect this would work just fine as long as you don't have metabolic disorder.