My body refuses to lose weight. HELP!

Options
13»

Replies

• krissynicole787
    krissynicole787 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I would stick with 1200 and ensure it's more 'natural' foods - lots of fruit, veggies (but not too much fruit since its high in sugar). Stick with lean meats - tuna and chicken. Eggs for protein. Stay away from packaged foods with lots of preservatives. I would also increase your workouts to 5-6 a week until you see results at least 60 minutes per workout. Perhaps talk to a trainer at the gym to analyze your workouts.
    I've been doing this for a month and am down 8 pounds. I also try and stay away from most carbs.
    If this doesn't work after a few weeks I would encourage you to speak with your physician.

^^THIS^^ Also,get your thyroid checked.
  • jenniferwoodweeg
    jenniferwoodweeg Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would stick with 1200 and ensure it's more 'natural' foods - lots of fruit, veggies (but not too much fruit since its high in sugar). Stick with lean meats - tuna and chicken. Eggs for protein. Stay away from packaged foods with lots of preservatives. I would also increase your workouts to 5-6 a week until you see results at least 60 minutes per workout. Perhaps talk to a trainer at the gym to analyze your workouts.
    I've been doing this for a month and am down 8 pounds. I also try and stay away from most carbs.
    If this doesn't work after a few weeks I would encourage you to speak with your physician.

Sound advice! I believe increasing cal only has slowed my progress. Was not until I increased work-outs and really ate a cleaner more balanced diet did I see real results
  • parmoute
    parmoute Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Well..we've had a lot of stress in the past year...including now. (working as a temp since January) so I've tried not to beat myself up about it...but I finally think I'm ready to focus on me.

Sounds like you've probably gotten most of the advice you need already, but remember too that stress will also mess with your hormones (like cortisol) and can work against you when you're trying to lose weight. Definitely try upping your calories and/or eating back your workout calories (I eat back 85% of what MFP gives me and it's working very well), but it's something to keep in mind. Sometimes I won't see the scale move during a particularly stressful period, then once I am able to relax my body seems to readjust again.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    thank you!
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Did you lose inches? I focus more on how I look as opposed to what the scale says.
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Since you have a history of an eating disorder, I would suggest seeing a nutritionist. She/he would know best for you.

This! Or start with your doctor and he/she can help you get on the right track.
  • BOYBLUE2013
    Options
    So as the body requires more calories to fuel itself does it not then go in search of this extra fuel from its fat stores.
    I think if I reach a plateau which no doubt I will then I will continue to maintain reduced caloric levels and increase my exercise output knowing that eventually the laws of physics will make me smaller.
    If not then I will hire out my body to medical science for detailed analysis.
    I guess I put the weight on slowly and so sometimes it may just come off slowly but I don't fancy increasing calories to lose.
    Just my thoughts opinions and 2 pennies worth and may not obviously be correct as I currently weigh 17 stone and therefore am not an authoritative expert on weight gain or loss.
    I am sorry but I am personally not 100% convinced into the eating more calories to lose weight and the bodies adaptation to starvation mode and holding on to its fat ect.
    How is it then that peeps go on highly restrictive non heathly diets ie lighter life 600 cals a day and the weight flys off them.
    I am sure its true for a limited time but over a prolonged period the weight should literally fall off should it not.
    The law of physics energy in = energy out etc.
    Less food more exercise we lose.
    More food less excercise we gain
    Im of the second persuation which is why im typing here at fat class.
    Adios

The weight only flies off when they are severely obese. But 600 calories is barely enough to sustain any of your organ functions. In fact, your brain needs 500 calories a day alone. Not only that, you will not get the nutrients nor adequate protein at this levels. So a significant amount of weight lost is lean body mass which will lead to a ton of complications.
  • joolsmitchell
    joolsmitchell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    So as the body requires more calories to fuel itself does it not then go in search of this extra fuel from its fat stores.
    I think if I reach a plateau which no doubt I will then I will continue to maintain reduced caloric levels and increase my exercise output knowing that eventually the laws of physics will make me smaller.
    I guess I put the weight on slowly and so sometimes it may just come off slowly but I don't fancy increasing calories to lose.
    Just my thoughts opinions and 2 pennies worth and may not obviously be correct as I currently weigh 17 stone and therefore am not an authoritative expert on weight gain or loss.
    I am sorry but I am personally not 100% convinced into the eating more calories to lose weight and the bodies adaptation to starvation mode and holding on to its fat ect.
    How is it then that peeps go on highly restrictive non heathly diets ie lighter life 600 cals a day and the weight flys off them.
    I am sure its true for a limited time but over a prolonged period the weight should literally fall off should it not.
    Adios

The weight only flies off when they are severely obese. But 600 calories is barely enough to sustain any of your organ functions. In fact, your brain needs 500 calories a day alone. Not only that, you will not get the nutrients nor adequate protein at this levels. So a significant amount of weight lost is lean body mass which will lead to a ton of complications.
    You seriously need to talk to a health professional! you have it so wrong its scary!
  • BOYBLUE2013
    Options
    Hi Jools forgive me for getting it so wrong and scaring you , it was never my intention.
    Being overweight I am obviously doing something wrong as indeed are you or you would not be on this forum now would you?
    As near the mark as I can gauge it is energy in = energy out and over a protracted period of time we either gain or lose dependant on this simple equation.
    As you obviously appear to be an authorative figure on health and nutrition perhaps you may wish to input your detailed analysis thoughts and hypothesis on the subject of weight platause and metabolic resistances.
    A little more than a giggly girl one liner would be ever so much appreciated.
    I am all ears and please do continue in depth.
    And do try to remember jools before berating me that by signing up to this board we all technically have it "so wrong" otherwise we would not be here at fat class debating the reasons of being obese and overweight.
    Thanks
    Blue
    Adios

You seriously need to talk to a health professional! you have it so wrong its scary!
  • joolsmitchell
    joolsmitchell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I know what I have been doing wrong and thats why I am doing something about it! I never said that I have all the answers thats why I suggested you talk to a health professional! But I do know enough to know that eating too few calories and over exercising is not a good thing and will ultimately lead to failure! so instead of trying to make people look silly try listening for a change...people are only trying to help!..I will not reply to this thread any more. Good day!!
  • BOYBLUE2013
    Options
    My word Jools what a large amount of exclamation marks,
    You did suggest you have all the answers by telling me that i had it so wrong with one of your world famous exclamation marks at the end to over emphasize your point.
    Neither do you appear to know enough about calorie consumption and over exercising as in your profile you mention weight problems for many years and it is for this very reason you are a member of this excellent forum.
    Your one liner snap at me was condescending and neither as I anticipated did it elaborate further or assist me in anyway.
    I am always prepared to listen and debate BUT unfortunately your explanations or reasoning beyond your one liner did not materialize
    Good luck with all your weight loss so that you can eventually have your surgery done.
    Feel free to add me as a pal as we are all in the same boat so as to speak and are here to help each other,are we not ?
    PS A small description of exclamation marks AND Multiple Exclamation Point Madness! !!!
    In informal writing, many people often use one (or many) to emphasize their excitement.
    For example: “No!!! I told you metal can’t go in the microwave” certainly gets the point across and has a lot more impact as you run for the fire extinguisher
    Any exclamatory sentence can be properly followed by an exclamation mark, to add additional emphasis. After all, isn’t it a lot more exciting to say “I am excited!!!!!” then to say “I am excited.”
    They are commonly used after interjections (words or phrases that are used to EXCLAIM COMMAND OR PROTEST !!!!!!!!!!!!!