What to bring for dessert?

Options
Quest529
Quest529 Posts: 103 Member
We'll be going to my grandparent's house for the 4th and I'm supposed to be bringing dessert. I'd like to keep it fairly "healthy" as we're all on some sort of nutritional "program" or have certain dietary requirements.

2 are on diabetic restrictions. I'm thinking more so along the lines of not spiking their blood sugar too much, though they can control what they eat themselves.

1 is allergic to chocolate (bummer...)

My husband and I are just trying to hit our macros and stay within our cals. If there is anyway to get some protein in dessert, we'd be all for it.

Any ideas? We are traveling with whatever we bring, so nothing that'll melt please.

Replies

• allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    <http://www.annies-eats.com/2011/09/12/baked-oatmeal-with-fruit/&gt;

No total calorie count, but looks low sugar and full of "good stuff"
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    We'll be going to my grandparent's house for the 4th and I'm supposed to be bringing dessert. I'd like to keep it fairly "healthy" as we're all on some sort of nutritional "program" or have certain dietary requirements.

2 are on diabetic restrictions. I'm thinking more so along the lines of not spiking their blood sugar too much, though they can control what they eat themselves.

1 is allergic to chocolate (bummer...)

My husband and I are just trying to hit our macros and stay within our cals. If there is anyway to get some protein in dessert, we'd be all for it.

Any ideas? We are traveling with whatever we bring, so nothing that'll melt please.

Check out skinnytaste.com

her light cheesecake is AMAZING...she also does cakes and things that are light but still delicious.
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    how about a fruit salad or some brightly colored fruit skewers? you can make a dip out of greek yogurt, a little honey, and some pb2. there's lots of protein in greek yogurt!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'd go with fruit tarts made with at least 1/2 whole grain flour for the tarts and topped with mascarpone cheese. The fiber and protein should slow blood glucose spikes for the diabetics and, no chocolate. You could even offer chocolate shavings as an optional topping if you wanted. The mascarpone could easily be transported in a small insulated bag and added after you get there.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    since one is allergic to chocolate there goes everything i was going to suggest. i second the fruit idea or bring some sliced pineapple to put on the grill and some frozen greek yogurt or perhaps fruit and low fat cool whip (as a dip)
  • shadowharuka
    shadowharuka Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/post/51247006634
    This dessert has red white and blue so it works really well for the 4th! Plus mostly natural sugars from fruit.
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Aloha cake (152 cal/slice) **I got 20 pieces of cake out of this recipe*

Aloha cake - very easy (and nice light dessert):
    1 box yellow cake mix
    3/4 cup applesauce (I used no sugar added)
    3 eggs
    11 oz can mandarin oranges, with juice
    1/2 tsp vanilla

Frosting:
    1 box instant coconut pudding
    20 oz can crushed pineapples, with juice
    8 oz fat free cool whip

Mix cake mix, applesauce, mandarin oranges and vanilla together in mixer until well blended. Pour into a greased (I used baking spray) 9x13 pan and bake for 30-35 min at 350. Let cool completely before frosting.
    Beat the coconut pudding and pineapple together a couple of minutes until thick (dont make the pudding with milk - just pour mix into bowl w/pineapples). Fold in the cool whip and spread over the cooled cake and refrigerate. *I only ended up using 1/2 of the frosting mix for my entire cake*

Edited to add: Nevermind - just saw the note about needing a dessert that wont melt/you can travel with.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of grilled pinapple! Could make a "dip" of (Fage) greek yogurt and a bit of honey or maple syrup (or sugar free syrup, though, personally, I avoid "fake" anything when it comes to what I'll eat)
  • StrivingSagittarius
    Options
    Jello with flavored lite cool whip! Yummy!
  • jsimler1
    jsimler1 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Skinny Funfetti Cupcakes Recipe:
    (makes 24 cupcakes, 110 calories per frosted cupcake, 2 Weight Watchers Points)
    Ingredients:
    Cupcakes:
    1 pkg. Pillsbury Funfetti Cake Mix (just the powder, not the recipe on the box)
    1 (12 ounce) can Sprite Zero
    Frosting:
    1 (8 ounce) container Fat Free Cool Whip
    1 (1.5 ounce) pkg. Fat Free Vanilla Jello Instant Pudding (just the powder, not the recipe on the box)
    Directions:

Cupcakes:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 24 cupcake tins with paper liners. In a large bowl, combine cake mix and Sprite together. Continue to mix until the batter is smooth without any lumps. Pour approximately 1/4 cup of batter into every cupcake wrapper. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Let cool before frosting.
    Frosting:
    In a mixing bowl, add Cool Whip and pudding. Mix with a whisk by hand or an electric hand mixer until smooth. Spread over cooled cupcakes. Makes enough frosting for 24 cupcakes.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    How about skewers with strawberries, blueberries, and chunks of angel food cake?
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    For something like that, I almost always just cut up a large watermelon. It's perfect when it is so hot out!
  • hap2010
    hap2010 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I would do greek yogurt with blueberries raspberries and strawberries. It would be very colorful and refreshing. You could offer some granola or nuts to add a little crunch.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    fruit salad- just fresh fruits cut up in bowl
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    http://fedandfit.com/2013/06/27/paleo-strawberries-cream/
    Add some blueberries to make it red white and blue.

Tropical fruit salad:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/06/tropical-fruit-salad-recipe.html

Red white and blue fruit skewers with cheesecake yogurt dip
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/05/red-white-and-blue-fruit-skewers-with.html
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,262 Member
    Options
    Definitely fresh fruit this time of the year. I'd cut up watermelon, pineapples, and strawberries.
  • Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,284 Member
    Options
    I would do greek yogurt with blueberries raspberries and strawberries. It would be very colorful and refreshing. You could offer some granola or nuts to add a little crunch.

Yummm... I usually add a little honey as well!
  • Bailey532
    Bailey532 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the fruit skewers and maybe a greek yogurt dip or just whipping cream....
  • jilly1130
    jilly1130 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You should definitely look at hungrygirl.com. This is an awesome website and you will find so many low-calorie dessert options and I am confident you will find one that will work for your circumstances. Happy 4th of July!
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    add a peanut butter dip to the fruit skewers and greek yogurt dip. some natural peanut butter and honey or agave syrup.