Killing myself for Nothing

Options

Replies

• Getawayfromthecake
    Getawayfromthecake Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The most i have ever lost is 7lb a month, and I was very happy with that number!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I cleanse because of all the toxins I have consumed from preservatives and chemicals in our food. The toxins build up in our bodies and the way the body protects itself is by storing toxins and free radicals in fat. As I lose weight, toxins are released back into the blood stream. I cleanse 2 days a wk/3 times a month. If you don't cleanse the toxins as u lose weight you end up with very high levels in ur systems which causes to body to want to protect itself and store them as fat again...rebound.

That sounds like science but is actual just nonsense. You do not need a cleanse.

http://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/the-detox-delusion/

I've lost 45 pounds and have never "cleansed"-- when exactly can I expect all that fat to just come back regardless of how much I eat?

In addition, 15 lbs per month is almost double the rate of healthy weight loss. It's almost certainly not all fat. You're likely sacrificing your muscle to maintain that rate of loss.
  • Jomackinnon
    Options
    That's amazing we'll done ! Exercise is a joy just enjoy it and mix it up a bit ! I hate the treadmill boring as ....
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Jillian expects five pounds a week.

Jillian, to put it bluntly, is full of fecal matter.

Ten pounds in a month is absofrickinlutely incredible progress, and you should be proud. You should also not expect it to continue at that rate, because you don't have enough excess body fat to support that kind of weight loss.

Ideally, with 44 pounds left to go, you should be aiming for one pound a week. The only thing you should feel depressed about is that your expectations were unrealistic.

Haha. I have a bit of a soft spot for Jillian, because A. I think she can be funny, B. She can do a series of one armed pullups, and C. I read a slew of diet books last summer, including hers, and she was the ONLY one who didn't make the claim that bread was the devil and that fruit should be limited and bananas avoided altogether.

All that being said, Jillian also gives a ton of advice that has been frequently argued, such as, eating 1,000 calories in one sitting, no matter what the rest of your day looks like, will make you fat, eat your carbs in the morning, etc. Also, I follow this blogger who's a trainer and absolutely hates her. He's always posting screen caps of her doing squats or push ups with improper form, when she's supposed to be demonstrating how to do the move!

So yeah, I'd hardly consider her word gospel. Anyone would say that 10 pounds in a month is great progress. I'd be stoked if I lost 10 pounds even if it took me a year.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Wait a minute here! You're *****ing about a loss of 10lbs/month. I'm ecstatic if I hit 5lbs in a month. But I know I didn't gain 10lbs a month (or even 5 for that matter), so I don't expect to lose it like that either.
  • ClareWantsProgress
    ClareWantsProgress Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    10 pounds is more than I've managed in 5 years.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels's advices = ????

yeah she sounds pretty mental, maybe she needs an intervention :huh:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    10lbs in a month is huge. It took me like, 4 months to lose 10 lbs!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Seriously... I have been eating 1200 calories a day, doing Jillian Michael's Body Revolution for a month, jogging on a treadmill every evening and have only lost 10 pounds!!!! Jillian expects five pounds a week. If you do the math, not counting extra calorie burn for the metabolic training, just what my heart rate monitor says I have burned, I should be losing 3.5 pounds a week. I have barely lost a jean size. So depressed!

Your heart rate monitor is not a reliable device for calorie burn. It's great for seeing how hard your heart is working. Five pounds a week sounds like an awful lot unless you're extremely obese.

Don't be depressed. Celebrate your consistency. I would double-check what you're eating. It's probably more than you think. You also may be working out less intensely than you think. The calorie deficit is the most important part of weight loss.
  • Eandretta96
    Eandretta96 Posts: 119
    Options
    If our bodies could not "cleanse" themselves, our species would've died a long time ago.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Some people would kill to lose 10 lbs in a month. Jillian Michaels wants your money, so of course she would make outlandish claims about how many pounds you "should" lose in a week.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing great, keep up the good work! Pretty soon you'll begin to notice that your routine is getting easier. The initial changes are so subtle that it is hard to tell. Be sometime around the 6-7 weeks mark things will start becoming obvious and the changes will give you a second wind of motivation.

Just keep going for a little while longer! You're so close, don't quit now!
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Fixed it for you... ;-)
    No, I had been a stay at home mom for years, took care of myself, ate right and exercised. Then I started working full time in a behavior disorder classroom. I packed on 40 pounds in 2 years by eating school lunches, drinking lots of soda, having treats in the teachers lounge, etc. Plus it was a high stress job.

So now, I am eating right, will continue packing my lunches for work once it starts back up instead of taking the easy way out and having the school lunch. Then I just have to plan a time in the day to incorporate exercise and I will be okay. I am sensible about the long term, just not very sensible I suppose when I hear JM talking about 5 pounds a week and a jean size in the first week and my weight loss is ACTUALLY ABOVE WHAT IT SHOULD be.

Seriously, you are doing absolutely AMAZING! Self-defeating talk isn't going to help you in the long run. Be proud of what you've accomplished, because you are a rock star!
  • jjjbeans111
    Options
    measure yourself. you are probably gaining muscle.

Agreed! Don't give up, you are on the way!
  • run2bfree
    run2bfree Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think you need to relax. I WISH I could at least do .5 lbs week of loss... you are doing great. don't give up.. these things take time and you have ONLY been doing this a month... that's tiny.... stay positive and keep your goals in mind.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    10 lbs over a month and you cmplain, I think you have done well. I have been doing this for over a year but because I have an extremely slow metabolic rate my weight does not want to move and even my doctor says it will be hard for me. I have lost 6 lbs in a year but that's OK. I am not in a hurry I just will be happy if it moves.

Sounds a lot like what I deal with.
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I've lost 25 pounds in 6 months. (Though I have gained muscle)

10 pounds a month is quick.

Think of it as a lifestyle choice, slow down a bit and don't burn yourself out.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own goals, but seriously, the point shouldn't be to kill yourself. It should be to get to healthy weight and maintain it.
  • Orfygirl
    Orfygirl Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    This is coming from someone who has done Body Revolution 4 times. I never lost weight while doing it, just inches. Unless you are planning on sticking strictly to Jillian's DVD set and meal plan, you are not going to have the drastic weight loss that she states you will have in it. Also, if you were conditioned at all at the start of it, like I was, you are not going to have the same results as Jillian states because it is meant for you to start at a couch potato level. I only did weeks 1-4 once because I actually gained weight. Every other time I went through the program I had to start at weeks 5 &6. It is a great program and all but it is not for everyone, not everyone will have the same results. I suggest that you measure yourself periodically throughout the program, you may not be losing actual weight but gaining muscle and losing inches. Good luck!