I am stuck at a 5 lb loss! Please some advise.. Diary Open

Options
I need some help, I been doing all the right things here. I have not lost anything in 2 months just my initial 5 lbs (of which I think is water weight). I eat good 1,200-1,500 calories a day and exercise. I work full time and have 3 small children at home so some days I do skip the workouts but at the very least what can I change? or what can I do to see some results here!! any advise is appreciated.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ditch the meal replacement shakes and eat real food.
  • Jennifera714
    Options

All ingredients are orangic which include 21 super foods, gmo free, non dairy, vegan I don't see how this can affect my progress so far.
  • AlexisJ330
    AlexisJ330 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Organic does not necessarily mean "healthy." I agree with eating real food not meal replacements. Also, it looks like you are always way below daily goal. Many people find it helpful to eat back some of the calories burned in exercise. Your body might be needing those calories. I know it is not what most people want to hear, but sometimes by eating more you will lose more.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options

I agree! I would also cut the yogurt ... especially flavored, if it isn't flavored and it is fat free okay, otherwise give it up.

I eat pretty much whole foods, occasionally I'll throw in something not good for me ... as a treat ... not as a "meal replacement" eat real food, you will not be hungry, you will have plenty of energy so that you can work out. No short cuts, eat right, work out right, and you will loose. Only shoot for about a pound a week and be patient.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, if you are always eating the same things, your body gets used to it and compensates. So yes, try to eat real food instead of the meal replacement - there are TONS of awesome options out there. In addition, I agree with alexisjackson on the calorie thing. There are many days when you don't hit your actual goal and, in fact, come quite far below it. What are your "stats"? or what is your BMR at the very least? I usually use this site to determine it?

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Can't say I agree with anything that's been posted with the exception of mentioning BMR...

OP, you don't log everyday... that's the first red flag.

Do you weigh your food?
    Do you track all the little nibbles?
    Do you log consistently?
    Do you know what TDEE and BMR are?
    How are you determining your calorie burns?
    Do you know if they are accurate?

Start there... don't worry about the shakes if its a convenience thing for you. That is probably the least of your problems.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Meal replacement shakes and fast food are 99% of your diet from what I saw. I'm going with the rest of the folks - eat real food.
  • Jennifera714
    Options
    Unfortunately, if you are always eating the same things, your body gets used to it and compensates. So yes, try to eat real food instead of the meal replacement - there are TONS of awesome options out there. In addition, I agree with alexisjackson on the calorie thing. There are many days when you don't hit your actual goal and, in fact, come quite far below it. What are your "stats"? or what is your BMR at the very least? I usually use this site to determine it?

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/

5 ' 7 : 175 lbs my bmr is 1570
  • Jennifera714
    Options
    Can't say I agree with anything that's been posted with the exception of mentioning BMR...

Do you weigh your food?
    Do you log consistently?

Start there... don't worry about the shakes if its a convenience thing for you. That is probably the least of your problems.

I do not weigh my food. I do track what I eat all the time just don't log on the weekends I am so busy with 2 infants and a 11 yr old. I do know what TDEE and BMR are (mine should be 1570). I do track calories burned with a device I use I am sure they are pretty accurate.
  • shutupandlift13
    Options

Do you weigh your food?
    Do you log consistently?

I do not weigh my food. I do track what I eat all the time just don't log on the weekends I am so busy with 2 infants and a 11 yr old. I do know what TDEE and BMR are (mine should be 1570). I do track calories burned with a device I use I am sure they are pretty accurate.

May I ask which device? You might have this in your diary but what do your workouts typically consist of?

With your stats you are probably eating enough if you are getting to that 1500 to 1600 mark TOTAL. I have a fairly active job in construction surveying and hit the gym for a couple hours lifting and doing cardio at least three times a week and lose roughly a lb per week eating an average of 1700 a day. I mention this because our physical stats are similar.

I would start with weighing your food and attempting to log as often as you can. Would it be possible to pre log your weekend? Do some meal planning?

While I'm all for real foods, if for no other reason than fullness and satiety, if you are meeting your macros and cal goals by using meal replacements occasionally because of time and convenience and aren't overeating because of lack of physical fullness, there's nothing wrong with it, IMO.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

Do you weigh your food?
    Do you log consistently?

This.

You need to track ALL your food intake, daily, and do so as accurately as possible. The best way to do that is weighing everything on a digital scale as it's much more accurate than eyeballing, using measuring cups/spoons, etc. Bites, nibbles, spoon licks, condiments, oils you use to cook with, etc. all should be logged in your diary. If you drink alcohol, that should also be logged.

Start by tracking everything and being super accurate, and see what happens.

Also make sure you've got appropriate calorie and macro goals set for yourself.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    If your BMR is 1570, then I'm going to say you simply aren't eating enough calories, according to your diary log. Weigh everything, and log absolutely consistently. Your body needs at least 1570 calories *just to survive!* When you move around, walking around the house, or even actual "exercise" you need to keep those burned calories in mind as well - and eat those, too. That's why your diary gives you a different "goal" each day.

Eat the calories that are listed in your daily goal, which includes your exercise calories. It will help.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options

Do you weigh your food?
    Do you log consistently?

With the amount of weight you have to lose, I would say you are under eating significantly for your activity level - AND if you aren't logging food daily and measuring (with a digital scale) what you eat - you don't even have good data to review. Get those things in order and work at that for a month.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Not logging on weekends is kinda suspect.
  • Jennifera714
    Options

Do you weigh your food?
    Do you log consistently?

May I ask which device? You might have this in your diary but what do your workouts typically consist of?

With your stats you are probably eating enough if you are getting to that 1500 to 1600 mark TOTAL. I have a fairly active job in construction surveying and hit the gym for a couple hours lifting and doing cardio at least three times a week and lose roughly a lb per week eating an average of 1700 a day. I mention this because our physical stats are similar.

I would start with weighing your food and attempting to log as often as you can. Would it be possible to pre log your weekend? Do some meal planning?

While I'm all for real foods, if for no other reason than fullness and satiety, if you are meeting your macros and cal goals by using meal replacements occasionally because of time and convenience and aren't overeating because of lack of physical fullness, there's nothing wrong with it, IMO.

I use a Nike application that is on my ipod that counts your calories which are determined by the amount of steps you step (pedometer) I am sure its not 100 % accurate although better than nothing right. I walk on my half hour lunch with co workers briskly for the entire 30 mins Mon-Fri 1.28 miles. I also recently purchased a spin bike that I use for about 15 mins each day Mon- Fri along with a DVD workout video Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. We are on day 22 on the 30 day squat challenge (225) squats today. SO basically my day consist of walking here at work during lunch and my work out video(30-45 mins) and a bit of my spin bike daily Mon-Fri only.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Meal replacement shakes and fast food are 99% of your diet from what I saw. I'm going with the rest of the folks - eat real food.

Me too. I am going along with the rest of the folks. Don't know where the other person got their ideas from about continue eating meal replacement. Is this going to be something for life.
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If your BMR is 1570, then I'm going to say you simply aren't eating enough calories, according to your diary log. Weigh everything, and log absolutely consistently. Your body needs at least 1570 calories *just to survive!* When you move around, walking around the house, or even actual "exercise" you need to keep those burned calories in mind as well - and eat those, too. That's why your diary gives you a different "goal" each day.

Eat the calories that are listed in your daily goal, which includes your exercise calories. It will help.

I wouldn't eat back the exercise calories. Eat over your BMR - absolutely, positively YES! So eat at least 1600 calories every day without exception.

But if you burn 750 calories at the gym, I wouldn't advocate eating 2350 calories that day. Put those exercise calories toward fat-loss.

That said, listen to how your body feels. If you're hungry or tired, it's ok to up your calories a bit especially on heavy workout days. But if you feel good eating 1600, work out out hard and put those exercise calories toward fat-loss.
  • Jennifera714
    Options
    Not logging on weekends is kinda suspect.

LOL call me DUBIOUS!......
  • shutupandlift13
    Options

Me too. I am going along with the rest of the folks. Don't know where the other person got their ideas from about continue eating meal replacement. Is this going to be something for life.

Did you read where I said occasionally?

I know plenty of people who have adequate calories and nutrition (both macro and micro) who replace at least one meal a day with something like a protein shake. Its the same concept. If she's doing this once a day because she doesn't have time, nbd. If every meal is in liquid form than she might start seeing some digestive issues. If the nutrition isn't there then she might see energy issues as well.