400-500- cals too much?

Options
Hi!
Do u think that a meal of 400-500 cals is too much? I mean, how many cals should a "normal" meal be?

Replies

• babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    it doesnt matter.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    your myfitnesspal calorie goal divided by three
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel bad, it's an inappropriate amount. 4-500 cals is a nice small portion, if that's what you're looking for. My breakfast this morning was 800. Some people don't eat breakfast. Whatever works.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Not to much. Depends on how many calories you get in a day - take out 200-300 for snacks then divide by 3. Or you can go the route where you eat a large breakfast, moderate lunch, and smaller dinner. Or eat them all at one meal. There's no right way.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I've had some meals that were 150 calories, and other meals that were 1200 calories. It all depends on your caloric goal and meeting your daily requirements.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Do u think that a meal of 400-500 cals is too much? I mean, how many cals should a "normal" meal be?

That doesn't even sound like enough for a decent snack
  • MatthewMacG
    MatthewMacG Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi Andresconejo,

A meal can be as many calories as you choose. Your body won't care when you eat the calories as long as you eat them. I would suggest you decide what you need to feel satisfied at any given meal, for example I like to eat eggs at breakfast because they keep my hunger at bay, whereas a cake of equal or greater calories to the omelet I ate for breakfast might leave me feeling hungry after an hour.
  • Eandretta96
    Eandretta96 Posts: 119
    Options
    Doesn't matter. You can have all your day's calories in one meal. Just hit your macros.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    For me, breakfast is about 350-400 cals, lunch and dinner from 500-700, throw in 100-200 cals in snacks takes me to about 1900cals/day. That works for me.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Let's see--this morning, my breakfast was 920 kcal. That wasn't too much for me. Whether it's too much for you, only you can know.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    1000 at least ;)

How much, when, how frequent, those are negligible details when it comes to meals. Find an eating routine that works for your habits and your schedule that allows you to stay at a deficit consistently. That's what matters in the long run.
  • VivereDisce
    Options
    That's around what most of my meals are if I'm not doing a lot of snacking through the day. 3 meals would put you at 1200-1500 calories with no snacks. If you work out, you can eat back those calories as snacks if you're still hungry!

If I have a day that has a lot of snacking, I'll have 200-300 calorie meals, which would be a lot of salads or lighter meals.
  • NatureChik1985
    Options
    My lunch was around 1000 calories which is pretty normal. 400 calories would be more of a snack for me.
  • melissakolek
    melissakolek Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Protien is just as important if not more than calories. Focus on protein first. That will keep you full.
  • Emsie_lou
    Emsie_lou Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I follow 300 for breakfast, 450 for luch and 450 for dinner. then 100-200 on snacks. But this goes over sometimes.
  • rekus73
    rekus73 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    depends when...how active and how hungry you are...
    if I just worked out...and I am hungry ....I eat....and I eat a lot...
    Sometimes over 500 calories...who cares...as long as you're eating nutrient dense foods...that is nourishing your body who cares if you eat 300....400....or 500 calories...you eat more now....then eat less at the next sitting....but eat to be satisfied...not to make sure you stay within some imaginary calorie limit.... :)
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    It all depends on you. I eat a smaller lunch and breakfast, and small snack through the day and have a larger dinner, anywhere between 500-900 calories depending on what I am eating and if I worked out that day. My favourite meal is supper, and is the only meal I get with my husband every day so I like to enjoy myself!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    For you, not at all. You are an 18 year old male with a calorie goal of 2500.
  • _adp_
    _adp_ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    400 - 500 is probably not bad but the worst habit would be to eat a majority of your daily calories in one meal. Whatever the body can't process is turned to fat and your metabolism is reduced to compensate for the "period of starvation" during the rest of the day. The best approach is to have multiple "meals" that are spread throughout the day. I also try to align my food intake with the anticipated excercise until the next meal. Medium size meal at breakfast (500 cal) to compensate for not eating at night; large meal before exercise usually lunch (800 cal); a small dinner before bedtime (400 cal); and two 150 cal snacks during the day.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    400 - 500 is probably not bad but the worst habit would be to eat a majority of your daily calories in one meal. Whatever the body can't process is turned to fat and your metabolism is reduced to compensate for the "period of starvation" during the rest of the day. The best approach is to have multiple "meals" that are spread throughout the day.

False.

The best approach is the one that allows you to stay within a small to moderate caloric deficit while hitting macronutrient goals to help in preservation of lean body mass. Your metabolism is not so easily effected by just hours of "starvation".