RASPBERRY KETONES.....GOOD OR BAD?

Options

Replies

• JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    If Dr. Oz endorses it, I run the other way.

Pretty much this.

Funny how when dr. Oz promotes an item people buy it but think it's a miracle item and dont need to exercise or diet properly...
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If Dr. Oz endorses it, I run the other way.

I second this
  • SusanB148
    SusanB148 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz actually endorsed the use of raspberry ketones for weight loss on his show (google Dr oz raspberry ketones for the segment of the show video), and yes, while I am aware that many people think he is selling "snake oil", he is actually a quite well respected and renowned cardiologist. That being said, I still am very wary of anything that is sold as "weight loss" products. As far as these were concerned, after researched, I decided, no harm to try these particular supplements. I have taken them for a few months. I don't know that they are really making any difference, as I am also eating correctly and exercising, so would be losing weight anyway. I don't feel like the weight loss is any quicker, and I am not purchasing any more. I wish you luck and success in your journey!

I lost my respect for Dr. Oz long ago. He does shows about every diet scam that comes down the pike just to get his audience numbers up.
  • lovingbears2
    lovingbears2 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz actually endorsed the use of raspberry ketones for weight loss on his show (google Dr oz raspberry ketones for the segment of the show video), and yes, while I am aware that many people think he is selling "snake oil", he is actually a quite well respected and renowned cardiologist. That being said, I still am very wary of anything that is sold as "weight loss" products. As far as these were concerned, after researched, I decided, no harm to try these particular supplements. I have taken them for a few months. I don't know that they are really making any difference, as I am also eating correctly and exercising, so would be losing weight anyway. I don't feel like the weight loss is any quicker, and I am not purchasing any more. I wish you luck and success in your journey!

I stopped watching and listening to Dr Oz a few years ago, when he started endorsing various fad diets on his show. Also, be careful of online reviews using his endorsement, a lot of them are false claims. He's recently spoke out against them.

Yes, he did, as he has actually been having his name used in areas that he has never even endorsed. He is suing several companies because of this. I knew that, when I put up this post, I would get a lot of negative feedback from the users, simply because of his name. He wasn't endorsing any particular raspberry ketone product. He was passing on the research that had been done on raspberries in general, and unfortunately, to get the effect he was referring to, a person would have to eat pounds and pounds of raspberries to get the same effect, thus a supplement of raspberry ketones was suggested.

OP, I have never personally watched Dr Oz, never really felt the need to, but, because one of my patients asked me this same question, I had to research it to answer, and I answered my patient (and alot more after that), in the same way I answered your question.

Yes, there has been research done in this area, some that shows some possible benefit, some that says possibly no. Dr Oz reported the information that he researched, just as I did (thus my quote above about his link as it was quicker to explain it that way). I tell my patients that ask the same as I told you, esp since you had already purchased them.... it won't hurt you to try them, and you may see some mild benefit, or not.

Unfortunately for you, OP, you also got attacked by everyone that you had hoped would be and should have been supportive, with assumptions made that you were looking for a "quick fix", and had no intention of using MFP and exercise as well. I was guessing that since you are already logged on to MFP, you are doing so, and therefore are heading in the right direction. Good for you!!! Using the supplement as an addition to your MFP and exercise won't do any harm, and may do some good. I understood that was your question. I'm sorry you were assaulted for asking for help on a support site.

Please don't be afraid to ask any questions with which you need help. The majority of the people on this site are actually quite helpful in most respects, and quite supportive. You, unfortunately, got jumped on by assumptions being made about you, and for that I am sorry.

Best of luck to you in your journeys!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for you, OP, you also got attacked by everyone that you had hoped would be and should have been supportive, with assumptions made that you were looking for a "quick fix", and had no intention of using MFP and exercise as well.

Erm, and were people supposed to tell the OP that the ketones would lead to weight loss and that her money had been wasted? I fully admit that in a desperate bid to lose weight I have been conned by such miracle claims in the past. I just wish I had had a forum like MFP to set me straight and get honest answers from before I wasted my time and money on carb-blockers, homeopathy, hoodia, Bach Flower Remedies, Slendertone etc etc.
  • lovingbears2
    lovingbears2 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for you, OP, you also got attacked by everyone that you had hoped would be and should have been supportive, with assumptions made that you were looking for a "quick fix", and had no intention of using MFP and exercise as well.

Erm, and were people supposed to tell the OP that the ketones would lead to weight loss and that her money had been wasted? I fully admit that in a desperate bid to lose weight I have been conned by such miracle claims in the past. I just wish I had had a forum like MFP to set me straight and get honest answers from before I wasted my time and money on carb-blockers, homeopathy, hoodia, Bach Flower Remedies, Slendertone etc etc.

Actually, the response she asked for was to a very simple question. I don't believe anyone suggested telling her something that wasn't correct. She didn't say she was desperate, or only wanting to use the supplement in place of a healthy diet and exercise. She just asked if it would be helpful. Many of the responses on the forum were assuming she was trying to use the ketones as a "quick fix", or as a miracle drug, and she was attacked in that manner. That is to what I was referring.
  • fgt0277
    fgt0277 Posts: 1
    Options
    Raspberry ketones DO work, BUT you HAVE to buy 100% PURE 500mg caplets. They cannot have any fillers or extra stuff added to it. Also, they're pretty darn expensive, so if you see a bottle for less than $50, don't buy it. There are a lot of copycats out there and "Made in China" ones-- those aren't real raspberry ketones. If you see that it has caffeine (green tea extract) or acai extract added to the pills, do not buy it.

Also you MUST exercise and eat less than 1,500 calories for it to work.

I started using them and I have lost almost 5 pounds in a week and a half. They work, but you have to get off the couch, exercise, drink a ton of water, and eat healthy.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    "Also you MUST exercise and eat less than 1,500 calories for it to work. "

LOL
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Raspberry ketones DO work, BUT you HAVE to buy 100% PURE 500mg caplets. They cannot have any fillers or extra stuff added to it. Also, they're pretty darn expensive, so if you see a bottle for less than $50, don't buy it. There are a lot of copycats out there and "Made in China" ones-- those aren't real raspberry ketones. If you see that it has caffeine (green tea extract) or acai extract added to the pills, do not buy it.

I started using them and I have lost almost 5 pounds in a week and a half. They work, but you have to get off the couch, exercise, drink a ton of water, and eat healthy.
    no.
  • kiwiana1970
    Options
    I bought some used them ran out of them and are still loosing weight without them , my best weight loss tool has been fitness pal just watching my calories :)
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Any idea about the mechanism of action of this product?
    Looked online. I only found two links on pubmed (sadly I can't access the papers).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15862604
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20425690

The first study was done in rats in S Korea, the second was an in vitro immunoassay done in Japan. They both say that these products 'might work', but I am alarmed that with so little evidence these products are on the market and being flogged everywhere.

If it was a new drug, this would never pass muster.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Really? If I exercise and eat less then I will lose weight? Well I never!
  • CandiedMittens
    Options
    I recommend looking up about Ketoacidosis.
    I don't understand why a cardiologist would enforce these.
    They have the ability to throw a diabetic into intensive care, and if you become addicted to them, even a normal healthy person.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    I recommend looking up about Ketoacidosis.
    I don't understand why a cardiologist would enforce these.
    They have the ability to throw a diabetic into intensive care, and if you become addicted to them, even a normal healthy person.
    You mean Dr.Oz?

Easy.

Cash. He'd recommend meth and coffee up the butt if they needed a spokesperson. Anything for a buck.

...and sadly, there are FAR too many people that would probably jump on board for both of those too. At least, as evidenced by these forums.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    @Acg67 .......noooo I'm no rat. I actually had a relative who is in very good shape tell me about this. Good grief, who pooped in your special K this morning?! :wink:

Guaranteed, you will always get snarky responses from a lot of people here.

Ain't that the truth!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

There is nothing wrong with wanting to use something in addition to the healthy eating and exercising. No where did the OP say that she was going to sit on the couch, drink beer and eat cheetos while popping the Ketones and expect to magically lose weight. She came here and asked an honest question and got attacked by that. COULD she have used the search function? Sure. A lot of us could use the search function but we don't because it's easier to ask the question then go through hundreds of posts that probably end up with the same result: Everyone slamming and shaming the OP for asking such a question.

No one is really "setting her straight". They are all jumping all over Dr. Oz (who not sure why he was even brought into the conversation other than to bring out the Dr. Oz Haters - yes I know he 'endorses' them but there was still no need to bring him out) and everyone is basically telling her she's an idiot (not straight out) for asking such a question. It's no wonder people deactivate their accounts after entering the boards once.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Any idea about the mechanism of action of this product?
    Looked online. I only found two links on pubmed (sadly I can't access the papers).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15862604
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20425690

The first study was done in rats in S Korea, the second was an in vitro immunoassay done in Japan. They both say that these products 'might work', but I am alarmed that with so little evidence these products are on the market and being flogged everywhere.

If it was a new drug, this would never pass muster.

Ahhh yes. The wonderful FDA who allows drugs that can cause cancer, TB, and have other such warnings as "fatal events may occur" to slide onto the market. Or other drugs where twenty years later you find out all the horrible things that can happen to you if you take them.

They're already trying to regulate supplements and make it so that you need to get a prescription for fish oil. The only thing the FDA is concerned about is getting their piece of the pie and as long as supplements aren't available through RX they get nothing and therefore are searching for ways to get their hand in the pot.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with wanting to use something in addition to the healthy eating and exercising. No where did the OP say that she was going to sit on the couch, drink beer and eat cheetos while popping the Ketones and expect to magically lose weight.
    Even if it's just a placebo effect? Think about how many hundreds of these threads pop up where folks aren't eating enough, or they're overexercising, or not measuring their intake.. etc. To put it in a nutshell, all of the people that are basically doing it wrong. They come on the forums too. They come here looking for excuses and easy ways out. Even if the OP of this thread isn't one of those, what's the point in giving her a pass to do it? Say she takes the ketones, remains in a caloric deficit via diet and exercise (the right way) and comes back to post about how she lost weight because she started taking some miracle pill in addition to putting in the work themselves. That's the issue I have with not just squashing these topics the instant they appear.

No one is really "setting her straight". They are all jumping all over Dr. Oz (who not sure why he was even brought into the conversation other than to bring out the Dr. Oz Haters - yes I know he 'endorses' them but there was still no need to bring him out) and everyone is basically telling her she's an idiot (not straight out) for asking such a question. It's no wonder people deactivate their accounts after entering the boards once.
    Giving her the facts is setting her straight. They aren't proven to have any bonus unless you're apparently some form of test subject rat in a lab. If she felt the need to deactivate because a bunch of meanies on a message board told her that magic pills were useless, then maybe an internet forum isn't the place for them.

ETA: 8th post mentions Oz.. 9th post in gives links to a handful of other identical threads. OP has been here longer than I have, has over 100 posts in the forums. In that time, you mean to tell me that they haven't seen the topic come up in one of the thousands of weekly reposts? Were it a brand new user that just started, my response would've been the same... but someone that's been here that long, has been active on the forums? I just don't think they get a pass.
  • georgianwokobia
    Options
    I tried them and after two weeks I had lost as much weight as I wanted to, they were very effective, however since coming off them, the weight has PILED back on. I would recommend the old fashioned eat healthy and exercise diet cause that's what I've ended up having to do anyway
  • Ximana
    Ximana Posts: 26
    Options
    i'm up for eating chips-maybe nacho and popping slim pills

just kidding