To eat or not to eat with the grilled chicken breast

Options

Replies

• jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Would only eat boneless, skinless chicken breast if I was forced to and I would probably need to stuff it with something delicious like cheese, herbs, ham, garlic etc to make it palatable.

This^^^
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I for one have not eaten a chicken breast for a year, and that was only because I was at this place that supposedly made great fried chicken, but only had breasts. And really, that's the only way to eat white meat. Well, I guess it's ok cured in fish sauce, sugar and sriacha, but then it's more like ham...

Anyway, if you insist on eating the tofu of the meat world, try a stir fry. That way you can use less chicken and more vegetables. Yum!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Roasted root veggies, brussel sprouts with dried cranberries and bacon, Mexican style rice and black beans with mango salsa, pineapple and bell peppers

I knew I friended you for a reason. Hot damn.
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Salad or limited carbs. Like 40g rice or 5 baby potaotes. Or you could have a small baked potato?
    Other than that you can always try cauliflour rice.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I usually have a sweet potato (my favorite) and some green vegetable (asparagus, broccoli, green beans, sugar snap peas, etc.).
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I LOVE yellow squash and onions. I spray the bottom of a baking dish with Pam and then slice the onions and squash, salt and pepper them any seasoning you like could be added. Bake until done but still a bit crunchy.
  • blumbard
    blumbard Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If your chicken is tasteless, a little salt and pepper goes a long way. Or chef Paul's seasoning is really good. Don't buy frozen. Get it from the butcher and you're probably cooking it too long. It can still be juicy as long as the juices run clear. I grill zucchini with onions and sweet potatoes cut up. Add minced garlic a bit of olive oil and a tsp of smart balance butter. I put it in an aluminum pan and roast it on the grill with beside the chicken. Best thing ever!
  • ShaneMac4u
    ShaneMac4u Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks much for the feedback. I definitely will be doing more with the suggestions on grilled, steamed and baked veggies.
  • dcone2001
    dcone2001 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like using guacamole as a dip with it. Tastes great together. Sweet potato, salad and always a bag of steamfresh veggies makes a nice meal.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I'd probably give it a tablespoon of salad dressing for flavor and go hog wild on the veggies. I haven't put chicken anything on the log yet but when I do it's gonna be dark meat, which means it can pair with stuff with fat-soluble goodies and no help beyond maybe some salt and spices :)
  • CometMeebru
    CometMeebru Posts: 122
    Options
    bacon
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've had boneless, skinless chicken breast more than 3 or 4 times in 2 years. If I did, it would be chopped and added to a giant spinach and greens salad with bacon, feta, walnuts, dried cherries, olive oil and lots of spices. Need to do something to give it fat and flavor.
  • Felecia1923
    Felecia1923 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I put my chicken in a salad a lot,homemade soup, I also make homemade pizza(good on pita bread or wheat tortillas) with chicken and veggies you don't have to use actual pizza sauce its really good with low fat flavored cream cheese sauce. If you like steamed veggies zip lock steamer bags are awesome you don't even need to put anything on the veggies..

We do brown rice, steamed veggies, watermelon, salad, the occasional raw fruits or veggies with dinner and some other stuff I can't think of atm. Also a good seasoning to add to food for flavor is salt free tony's creole seasoning I put it on everything with garlic and onion powder the food doesn't even need salt.

Sorry if I went on too much. Just trying to be helpful.
  • beautyonthebeach83
    beautyonthebeach83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I prefer bone-in, skin-on chicken but use the boneless/skinless for certain things. I like to make fajitas with them with onions, red/yellow/green/orange peppers, mushrooms and zucchini. I make my own "fajita seasoning" using spices from my cabinet. (The seasoning envelopes in the store are full of MSG and other undesirables, so I avoid them personally.) I serve fajitas with black beans, tortillas and guacamole. If you're watching sodium I definitely recommend cooking beans from scratch. If you have a crock pot this can be done very easily. I also like boneless/skinless for curries. Last night I made chicken tikka masala and served it with cumin rice. I'm not sure what your cuisine preferences are but...

I love baked sweet potatoes with a little butter and cinnamon to balance out a very spicy chicken meal. Salads are another favorite side. The dressing and toppings depend on how I season the chicken. If I'm smothering the chicken in homemade buffalo sauce then I make blue cheese dressing for my salad. If I'm doing a Greek rub then I might do a balsamic or red wine vinaigrette. If I'm doing a lemon/herb chicken then I like roasted asparagus as a side. When I make chicken with homemade BBQ sauce I like to do steamed broccoli with some cheese melted on top for a side. It really depends, but you can't go wrong with veggies, and they're good for you.

Boneless skinless does not have to be flavorless. :) For tonight's dinner I made an "alfredo" sauce and separately sauteed chunks of boneless/skinless thighs (seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder and dried herbs) in a little olive oil. I served this on top of fettucine. Tomorrow we're having crock pot tacos. I made some tomatillo salsa and tomorrow morning I will throw some boneless/skinless breasts into the crock pot with the salsa and let it go til evening. It falls apart and makes great taco meat. I'm going to serve it in mini corn tortillas with shredded cabbage and crema with a side of black beans. I cook my black beans with chopped onions, minced garlic, a little salt and ground cumin.
  • CrimsonNBlues
    CrimsonNBlues Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I actually love chicken breasts, and I find them really versatile. My current favorite recipes is Balsamic Chicken with Pears and Cherries. The sauce is delicious (recipe below). Also, for really juicy chicken breasts, I pound mine to about 1/4-1/2 inch uniform thickness, season with salt, pepper and rosemary, toss it into an already hot pan with some olive oil, and cook it for no more than 3 minutes on each side.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Poultry/BalsChickenPear.htm
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    steamed veggies, spaghetti squash, baby potatoes, salad, corn with edamame, stuffed with spinach and goat cheese, thrown in a baking dish with onions, bell peppers and fajita spice
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I have been making my chicken breast (full breast) with lemon and herb seasoning, I eat it next to an herb lettuce salad with shredded carrots, cherry/grape/mini tomatoes and italian dressing. It's been a pretty good combo so far for me.
  • jipsybird
    jipsybird Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes glazed with coconut oil, sprinkled with rosemary and cooked with a full clove of garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then cook. Delish.

That sounds so delicious! I will definitely be doing that one! :)

So many great ideas on here!

Thought I would bring up that some people actually grill avocado (haven't tried it yet, want to). Just slice in have, grill with the skin left on, start with the open side down and after a few minutes, flip. I don't think it cooks longer than 10 minutes total.

I have a veggie pan for the grill. What I like to do is marinate some veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, squash, peppers, onions...) for about 15 minutes in something like an italian vinaigrette. Grill them up.... so tasty!

Enjoy!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    mashed butternut squash.
  • martasmith54584
    Options
    Garden salad or veggies. Have had salad and chicken for lunch the past 2 days. Still like it lol