DID YOUR MOTHER MAKE YOU OVERWEIGHT?

Options

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Ahhh the blame game. As much as Parents are an influence when you get to a certain age you can make your own choices and educate yourself. Why look for someone to blame? It's happened your working on it no point dragging personal issues through the mud.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Looking at pictures, the last time I was not overweight was probably around age 5-6. And I didn't get a game console until I was 12! I played out ALL the time. So I suppose it must have been a combination of my great appetite and the food available, although we never had a lot of fried food, sugary drinks or takeaway. Just slightly too much food everyday I guess. Still my problem now. :(
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I am too old to play the blame game, it isn't healthy to place something that only you can control on another person.

+1

My mother did the best she could. All parents make mistakes, but I'm a grown woman and I don't blame my mother for the decisions I made as an adult.
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I am too old to play the blame game, it isn't healthy to place something that only you can control on another person.

+1

My mother did the best she could. All parents make mistakes, but I'm a grown woman and I don't blame my mother for the decisions I made as an adult.

I agree - my parents tried the best they could with limited means, and the easiest way to get us to eat vegetables was with pasta, but it was also the quickest. But it's me that has to make the decision not to eat as much pasta. Which is tough.
  • alecialudwickjones
    Options
    It was all of my family really. My father passed when I was 6wks old so my mom was always trying to 'make it up to me' by spoiling me-food, toys, whatever. She worked a lot so when the sitter was there it just a make sure she doesn't die capacity. I usually ate breakfast, lunch, after school 'snack' (which was soup and sandwich) and dinner and often before bed was cereal or ice cream. Weekends at the aunt and uncle was country style-a table full of food to choose from, all greasy (and delicious).

The view was I'd out grow my weight, the rest did, but what they didn't consider was my activity level. I didn't grow up and run track or grow all the veggies we ate and constantly work in the garden. I was the tv watching, video game playing lazy girl. Yes they allowed me to become this way BUT I continued the cycle after I knew better. I knew how to change it but didn't make the effort.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Part of my relationship with food is down to my Mother. Not because of the way she cooked or the food that she fed us but because she was abusive and one of the ways she would punish us was to starve us or force to eat gone off food.

Luckily we ended in care by the time I was 11 but even now i find it hard to keep treats in the house without eating them all in one go. I have learnt that this is one of my'problems' and only buy small portions of what i like so I don't eat it.

Though even to this day there are food that both me and my sisters cannot stand and even the smell will make us gag.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    QUOTE FROM LAST POST:

"The view was I'd out grow my weight, the rest did, but what they didn't consider was my activity level. I didn't grow up and run track or grow all the veggies we ate and constantly work in the garden. I was the tv watching, video game playing lazy girl. Yes they allowed me to become this way BUT I continued the cycle after I knew better. I knew how to change it but didn't make the effort."
    [/quote]

I can relate to the first sentence here. It was always "puppy fat" and "you'll lose it as you grow taller". I believed it dammit when I was a child, why wouldn't I? Children don't know anything about nutrition - just what tastes good. I wish I'd known then what I know now, but in my childish brain, would it have made a difference? There were other things to think about like playing and school. The first time I ever ran around was in the schoolyard, and I remember feeling pooped then - now I run around (or rather power-walk) without thinking twice about it and love it.

As to your last sentence, yes - we have to make the effort even when we know. That's why we're here and why we are succeeding!

Thanks for that - I am learning more about myself every day thanks to my MFP pals.
  • GameOfPounds
    GameOfPounds Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    a little...but I blame myself and my nanny more..
  • lakishamcquany
    lakishamcquany Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My mother is always trying to force feed me, adding more food on my plate when i eat with her.. it's pretty scary and i do love her but she's never really helped my diet. She's always insisted on fruit and veg but at the same time piling my plate as a kid, adding in the extra bits when she cooks for me isn't "nice" it's a weight..

I love the woman to death but she's so heavy handed with the old salt too!! Ever since I started feeding myself I dropped two stone like no mans business.. pretty odd how love turns into obesity!?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Did your mother make you overweight?

Ummmm no. I did.

We grew up poor, even in the 80s we were poor. Mum was a single mother of 2 with a mental problem that meant she could not work. An ex husband who paid her $100 a month for 2 kids & not much else. Shoes were xmas presents. Milk.... hell even milk I had to save up for when I got my own money. We ate very little & spent most time outside playing in order to not want to eat.

I made me fat, nobody else. Later in life, after my son was born.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    No my mum didn't make me overweight. But she did teach me to view food in a way that helped me make myself overweight.

I posted this in another thread yesterday, but my mum was of the wartime generation, and I was born in the 60s, but her wartime habits stuck with her, "waste not,want not" and so on, so it was a cardinal sin to waste food! I still have a lot of her kitchen habits, like if I make custard or gravy with powder, I save a bit of the milk or water to swill out the bowl I mix it in!

I've carried a sense of responsibility and obligation, and a real hangup about leaving food. So that's meant I'll always eat more than I needed to. I still struggle to leave food - either on my plate, or on the serving plate! Eating with friends is hard - at home I just cook my portions.

My mum was the opposite in fact - we never had much money, so couldn't afford much in the way of sweet treats. We'd have them on a Sunday only! And often home bakes, so not as exciting as shop bought. So on the rare occasion when we ate tea at an aunty's house, there would be all these wonderful goodies - Penguin or Club biscuits! Battenburg cake! Mr Kipling cakes! Mmmmm. But we knew we could take ONE and then no matter how much our aunty plied is with seconds, we knew we couldn't have another, on pain of death! And mum would be sitting there watching. So we politely declined, weeping inside. So when I got older, and could buy my own, that restriction wasn't there any more and I could sit and eat the whole packet if I wanted, and did. And gained weight!.

Also, I've copied my dad who used to put a thick layer of salt all over his food, and butter on his bread by the slice! - I've tried and tried, and I can't taste my food without adding salt and I can't eat bread or crackers or scones without a thick layer of butter. (so I eat very little of them now!)

I think we pick up things from our parents that they aren't trying to impart. My mum was trying to teach me good things about not wasting food - the flip side is that I've taken this sense of obligation that's caused me problems.

The other thing to remember is that in the war and post war years, food was totally different - no processed food, everything cooked from scratch, and much less unhealthy, and sugar after rationing was a luxury! Your mum couldn't conceive of a world like ours, where we're bombarded with sugar and fat! She was probably motivated by her experiences of privation in the war, not wanting you to be deprived and denied - we're looking with hindsight with our experience of overeating and overweight.

ed: Just thought too, I'm the one who piled the weight on. My sister has always been slim. Same mother, same experiences, different outcome!
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    As a kid...yes. Now I have no one to blame but myself.

Thank you reasonable person!
  • Christina8585
    Christina8585 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Oh definitely. She always doubled or tripped portion sizes. She always made me clean my plate and veggies always consisted of a half a plate of fried buttery veggies with sauces on them. I never had a chance growing up. And I never understood why other ppl could eat what appeared to be the same foods of me and not be fat while i was always bigger. Well, mainly portion control and yup, grew up poor and of course macaroni and cheese, cookies, granola bars, candy , chips, pop, tuna and mayo, all those things for sure made me fat. And when you don't understand portion control, it's almost impossible to properly diet.
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    My mom doesn't like food and doesn't enjoy eating and she made me feel that my love for food is somehow bad and shameful. I will spend thousands on therapists for my binge eating disorder that she created.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    As a child, I wasn't overweight until about 3rd grade. And that was due to my mother not saying "no" to me when I wanted more food, but didn't need it. Now, I took control of how I ate (somewhat) and became more active as a teenager and became healthier, so go me. But, I ballooned back up when I hit my mid 20s. I have no one to blame but myself for my former adulthood obesity. Yes, it was from learned habits I had from childhood, but I made the choice to not do anything about it.
  • kitsiekitty
    kitsiekitty Posts: 166
    Options
    I wouldn't blame my family completely, but a bit I would say? Our staple household food consisted of a lot of carbs (rice, potatoes, noodles. We would have stir fried noodles for breakfast!), plus we usually had 5 meals a day. Or I did anyway. My grandmother was the one who took care of me, and she seemed to think I would stave as a kid if I wasn't fed 5 meals a day. Even dinner, the dishes were caloric dense, or laden in oil. Plus, it doesn't help that not only do I have a major sweet tooth, I adore dairy products, cheese especially.

Its a choice though, as I've learned. And now I'm changing my choices. I still indulge my sweet tooth, but i indulge it better. Instead of cakes and chocolate, i take fruits and only small amounts of chocolate. Cake is few and far in between. My grandmother still acts the same whenever I visit, plying me with tonnes and tonnes of food everytime I visit, especially since she knows it down to the book which are myf avorites. Sooooo I don't try to resist it. I just eat a small portion. Its just a choice. :)
  • getyourbeans
    getyourbeans Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am scarily like my mother. I don't recall her ever not being on a diet, and her weight fluctuated considerably throughout my life. I remember her trying to talk to me about my weight when I was about 16 (and way too sensitive to talk about that sort of thing!) and saying that it was killing her to watch me go through the exact same thing she had gone through. My weight has fluctuated constantly throughout my life, I'm also constantly "on a diet" and have been conscious of my weight since I was about 9 years old.

The funny thing is, I have two sisters (non identical twin and two years older) and they are both tiny and have never had a weight issue in their lives. In saying that, both of my sisters are petite, have small frames and are pretty narrow. By contrast, I have wide hips, shoulders and big feet. I have always felt bigger than I probably am because I was always surrounded by tiny people. My frame is more like my mothers though and we have so many similarities now - in mannerisms, our sense of humour etc. When I go home, I'm often referred to as her mini-me. So maybe a tendency towards certain eating habits is learned. I don't know why I'm so much like my mum and my sisters are so different though. My weight is totally down to me though and my tendency towards gluttony - we always had reasonably healthy food (rarely had chocolate or chips or soda in the house) but I remember binge eating - in secret - when I was in primary school.

I can't even imagine how it's a theory that could properly be tested as there are so many variables - and circumstances that disprove the rule.
  • helsbelshms
    helsbelshms Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    For me it's a no. I grew up a very active child, I was always outdoors doing something. As a teenager I was part of a trampolining club and then transitioned on to going to the gym 3 times a week. I was extremely fit and so was my mam (we went to the gym together). All meals were healthy, my mam always cooked healthy fresh meals and my favourite (and it still is) is home made vegetable soup. I did eat sweets and crisps daily, but I was active enough to burn off those calories. My problem came in my early to mid twenties when the gym closed down and at the same time I started studying again. Lack of exercise plus my semi healthy diet, meant the weight crept on and laziness set in. For me it has never been about eating too much or all of the wrong things, it's been about being too lazy to get out and about. I've always been capable of going from breakfast until tea without eating if I'm busy (I know that's not healthy, I'm just saying that food doesn't rule my life when I'm busy), when I've got spare time on my hands that's when I start to crave unhealthy food. So the moral of my story is to get off my lazy backside and keep active and busy :)
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    My mom was heavy for her height. She also was a heavy smoker. Somehow, only one of us six kids ended up with a weight problem in our teens-- my brother. He was a chubby, overeating baby and grew into a chubby, adolescent and teen. He got teased and bullied a lot for it (looking back, it was wrong of my dad and my brothers to call him "moose"), and ended up with an eating disorder.

I was just thinking about this topic the other day. My mom, despite her own weight issues, managed to sneak in healthy eating habits and food choices without our realizing it. Snacks were tomato slices with mayo (gross now, but yummy then), no pop in the house, and junk food was an occasional treat.

My mom and dad are depression era survivors. My mom came from a wealthy family, so she always had food to eat during the depression. One of my favorite stories from her childhood was the "Peanut Butter v Pork Roast" story. Her mother refused to allow peanut butter in the house, because that's "what poor people ate" during the depression. My mom LOVED the "forbidden fruit", and begged and pleaded for my grandmother to buy some for her. Since she wouldn't, mom got very clever. They would always have some big roast for Sunday, and mom would take pieces of roast into school and trade them for peanut butter sandwiches.

The other funny story here is what my mom used to say to me regarding junk food: "You better watch what you eat, because when you're 25, your metabolism is going to come to a screeching halt and you won't be able to eat so much of it anymore without gaining weight" (I was a VERY skinny, gawky, kid. One day, I grew tired of hearing her lecture, and I called her out on it. I said, "Mom, I'll stop going to Burger King when you take that cigarette out of your mouth as you lecture me about poor health habits". That shut her up.