Keto diet 1 week and no weight loss?

Options

Replies

• crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough fat for that to be a ketogenic diet. What you are doing there would be a high protein diet (unless your lean meat and veggies were covered in butter). Which is also why you would be constipated. KETO is a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet. I'd suggest doing more research. Also normally when starting keto you would do a fat fast. Look into that.

edited for link...go to r/keto on reddit and read the FAQ. http://www.reddit.com/r/keto

^^ this need them fats
  • Livdoesketo
    Livdoesketo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi I started the keto diet I am one week in but no weight loss my diet consists of:

*2 full eggs 6 egg whites,

*35g whey protein small spoonfull of peanut butter

*170g chicken fillit

*170g chicken fillit with handfull of green beans

can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong? I am 140 ponds,

Nowhere near enough fat to be considered a ketogenic diet, unless you are aiming to do Dukan which will make you tired/grumpy and eventually plateau. It took me 10 days to lose anything first time round, you have to be strict until you can be sure you are in ketosis. Reccomended ratios are 5% carbs, 35% protein, 60% fat, do 20g carbs a day MAX until you are in ketosis then you can experiment with adding more in, some people get away with 50g-100g and still in ketosis. For me a limit that high allows me everything I wanted to cut out in the first place so I stick to 20g a day.

You need to up your water intake to overcome constipation and the fact that ketosis is a diruetic process, if you are drinking enough (read 3+ litres a day) you will also need to supplement your salts/electrolytes/potassium in some way i.e. by drinking a cup of broth.

There will be comments on this thread about the lack of nutrients with this diet, how detrimental it is, how no carb is a fad. Keto is not a no carb diet, at not point do you cut out veggies (unless you want to) you just limit them to smaller amounts. For 20g of carbs I can get 50g of at least 6 different vegetables. You wont eat fruit, but honestly 1 portion of broccoli has more vitamin c than you need and you wont get a insulin spike.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Protein spikes your insulin, no fruit required.
  • Christina8585
    Christina8585 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I used the raspberry ketones and green bean coffee extract for about 4 months. They did help but here's the the thing. It's a fat loss aid, not a miracle cure. I had to work out and eat healthy while doing it. It did help me and I would get a mega fat whoosh every 4 weeks but it took a full 4 weeks to actually take effect. I firmly believe it was a beneficial part of the weight I did lose but I didn't want to stay dependent on pills so I stopped and now I'm struggling with some ups and downs. I need to up my cardio and burn more calories. There is no easy way out. Two full eggs and 6 egg whites is way too much. at least from my standpoint.

You want to have a breakfast that is balanced and has around 300 calories. you'd probably want to have only one full egg and no more than 3 egg whites all together= 4 eggs. Then add in some fresh spinach and one piece of whole wheat toast or an oatmeal or some type of grain. add salsa (10 calories per teaspoon) for extra flavor. and diced garlic and herbs and spices never hurt either.
    My personal experience with peanut butter is that it's a complete pain in the *kitten* to measure it out and like one teaspoon is 80 calories and it's fattening. Scrap it all together. Banish it. There are better ways to get protein than peanut butter. don't go for a ketone diet. It's not sustainable. You need to experiment with finding real regular every day grocery foods that you can eat and sustain your dietary needs.
  • Livdoesketo
    Livdoesketo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I used the raspberry ketones and green bean coffee extract for about 4 months. They did help but here's the the thing. It's a fat loss aid, not a miracle cure. I had to work out and eat healthy while doing it. It did help me and I would get a mega fat whoosh every 4 weeks but it took a full 4 weeks to actually take effect. I firmly believe it was a beneficial part of the weight I did lose but I didn't want to stay dependent on pills so I stopped and now I'm struggling with some ups and downs. I need to up my cardio and burn more calories. There is no easy way out. Two full eggs and 6 egg whites is way too much. at least from my standpoint.

You want to have a breakfast that is balanced and has around 300 calories. you'd probably want to have only one full egg and no more than 3 egg whites all together= 4 eggs. Then add in some fresh spinach and one piece of whole wheat toast or an oatmeal or some type of grain. add salsa (10 calories per teaspoon) for extra flavor. and diced garlic and herbs and spices never hurt either.
    My personal experience with peanut butter is that it's a complete pain in the *kitten* to measure it out and like one teaspoon is 80 calories and it's fattening. Scrap it all together. Banish it. There are better ways to get protein than peanut butter. don't go for a ketone diet. It's not sustainable. You need to experiment with finding real regular every day grocery foods that you can eat and sustain your dietary needs.

Raspberry ketones=/ the ketogenic diet which is what I described in my earlier post. I agree with you on their complete lack of function, and about pb. Always stalls my weight loss for some reason.
  • shst07
    shst07 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong?

a fad diet with not enough caloric intake.

This.
  • Tubbytucka
    Tubbytucka Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    To the OP: as suggested above, go to reddit and read the keto pages; there is a lot of good info and more encouraging people on there. You'll see what to expect as far as side effects (no poo = eat more leafy greens) and how long it will take to get into ketosis etc.

I have been on a ketogenic diet about 3 months now and I feel great - I've dropped about 15lbs, but the big thing for me is I don't get hungry as often. A 3 egg omelette with cream, cheese and spinach keeps me feeling full a lot longer than a bowl of cereal or some toast ever did.

Looking at what you've listed as your diet, I agree with the folks that say eat more fat - remember, you're replacing carbs like bread, potatoes, pasta and sugary crap as a fuel supply with fats like animal fat, eggs, diary and avocado. It's not a carb free diet, it's just you get your carbs from different veggies, not processed stuff.

First calculate your calorie requirements for your target weight loss (ie, 1-2 lb a week) then you can adjust your MPF diet goals so you're aiming at 65% fat, 30% protein and 5% carbs. Go to Home/Goals > hit the 'change goals' button then click the custom settings button and 'continue. You can change the % for protein/carb/fat there.
  • hfox9707
    hfox9707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi I started the keto diet I am one week in but no weight loss my diet consists of:

*2 full eggs 6 egg whites,

*170g chicken fillit

*170g chicken fillit with handfull of green beans

can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong? I am 140 ponds,

Lower your protein intake to about 35% up the fat intake to about 65 to 75% and keep net carbs at under 20 grams. Drink lots of water.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You have no fiber in your diet. Besides the regularity issues, how do you not go crazy with no carbs?

There is a misconception that seems to be widespread that carbs are bad. Carbs are not bad, it is refined carbs that we should limit.

Carbs from whole fruits and veggies are not only good, they are essential for normal functioning of your body.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Way too much protein - you want more grams of fat than protein for a ketogenic diet.

Egg whites, protein powder, chicken are all low fat high protein options.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    You have no fiber in your diet. Besides the regularity issues, how do you not go crazy with no carbs?

There is a misconception that seems to be widespread that carbs are bad. Carbs are not bad, it is refined carbs that we should limit.

Carbs from whole fruits and veggies are not only good, they are essential for normal functioning of your body.

Yea you have it wrong too, refined carbs are not inherently bad. Fail.
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    you need fiber!!! Veggies are not evil on keto, just avoid the really really starchy ones like carrots.

Veggies like broccoli, asparagus, leafy greens are all good, and will help keep things moving.

Also, less protein, more fat.

like someone else has said, check out reddit.com/r/keto read the FAQ there, and you can ask questions, without the masses going "don't do that diet, it's just a fad, don't do keto, you NEED carbs"
  • memubo99
    memubo99 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    OP I have been on a ketogenic diet for 3 months now and its fantastic!
    Started at 143lb and now weigh 122lb I am at goal weight. Happy to maintain now.i
    I intend staying away from carbs forever due to insulin problems. I missed them at first but gien how well I feel now I see no reason to eat carbs other than vegetable carbs ever.

I eat 1300-1500 calories a day at 70/25/5 fat/protein/carbs and even have binges of marscapone cheese and I still lost weight.
    I eat cauliflower, spinach. broccolli, lettuce asparagus and rhubarb. take potassium and magnesium tablets as well as the odd spoon of psyllium husk. All this keeps me regular.

I lost weight slowly but surely and found that even if the scales didn't move downwards my body lost inches, so keep going and remember lots of fat!!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    http://josepharcita.blogspot.com/2011/03/guide-to-ketosis.html?m=1#33MM
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1511-reddit-keto
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1160-keto
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
    http://www.vivalowcarb.com/
    http://nuclearfuzzgrunge.com/tlcm/
    http://www.gnolls.org/1141/eat-like-a-predator-not-like-prey-paleo-in-six-easy-steps-a-motivational-guide/
    http://www.contraros.com/nutritional-ketosis/ketogenic-food-list/
    http://cavemanketo.com/
    http://reddit.com/r/theketodiet

I started a ketogenic diet against my medical professional's advice. She said I was gonna gain weight, get dizzy, be lethargic, get bad cholesterol and have a heart attack.

7 months later... 7 months with just thick ribeye steak, juicy pulled pork, fatty chicken drumsticks, some cheese, eggs, bacon and almonds... 7 months with no vegetables, no whole grains, no high fructose corn syrup (but lots of aspartame and splenda!) I had lost 40lbs (30yo 5'7" male, from 222lbs to 180lbs), had perfect blood pressure and heart rates, and my blood test showed my cholesterol was so low I had to start supplementing with MORE BUTTER and fish oil. I had to increase my sodium levels to keep my blood pressure from going below average.

I've maintained fat loss of 50lbs just by eating a crapton of steak and cheese and drinking half a gallon of diet coke a day. I've also successfully gained muscle in a caloric deficit through long-term recomposition by heavy lifting with squats and lunges and pull ups. I've never been able to do a pull up before in my life, ever, until now. I eat almost exclusively meat and I'm as healthy as an ox.

Just stick to 65-70% calories from fat, 25-30% from protein and 5% or less from carbohydrates. You'll be a fat burning machine in no time. If you eat 1500 calories a day, you want 975 calories from fat, at 9 calories per gram, that's about 109-115 grams of fat intake per day. For protein, you want about 475 calories, at 4ish calories per gram, which is about 110-120. Then you have 15-20 grams of carbohydrates per day. I have days where I have less than 5g carbs and feel fantastic. Basically, try to eat an even ratio of fat grams to protein grams, and at the most, 1g carbs to each 7g fat+ 7g protein.

For results today, start yesterday.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Also, whoever says you need fiber, you're crazy. If you only consume fuel your body can efficiently digest, there's no need to produce waste products nearly as often. I have no problem pooping every 3-7 days and having it come out without straining and grunting and popping a blood vessel and worrying about prolapse. If you really feel the need to be regular, try bulletproof coffee. Caffeine and coconut oil are FANTASTIC for making you need to void your bowels.
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Also, whoever says you need fiber, you're crazy. If you only consume fuel your body can efficiently digest, there's no need to produce waste products nearly as often. I have no problem pooping every 3-7 days and having it come out without straining and grunting and popping a blood vessel and worrying about prolapse. If you really feel the need to be regular, try bulletproof coffee. Caffeine and coconut oil are FANTASTIC for making you need to void your bowels.

good points all around! I must say, most people, if they don't eat any veggies, do get some serious digestive issues, which is why i mentioned the greens. Plus, they are good for you.

Bullet Proof coffee is amazing.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong?

a fad diet with not enough caloric intake.
    :drinker:
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
  • inovation121
    Options
    I understand i need to increase my fat intake but what is the beest foods to eat to increase fat and get into ketosis?
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Foods like: lots of butter, fatty meats, chicken skin, mascarpone,full fat cream, bacon,healthy oils, coconut oil (delicious) full fat Greek yogurt, cheese, macadamia nuts there are lots more to give you a tasty sustainable way of life. Include some greens and a small bit of fruit daily; if nothing else it will add variety, colour and make you feel like your not missing natural vitamins and fibre. Like previous posts, try to change your thinking, it really is okay to eat high fat! Good luck.