-Lemon and dill salmon
-dill and lemon sauce w/ff yogurt
-BBQ rubbed salmon
-orange glaze
-maple salmon
-balamic and maple salmon
-herbed crusted salmon
- BBQ sauce
Those plus other recipes were all ''ok'' but they were very dry. I like buying the captain high linears applewood smoked salmon fillets but they are too expensive and the sodium is high. Help please :) Ouh and I don't like mustard!!

Replies

• JSA17
    JSA17 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I make salmon all the time and it never comes out dry.

Here's what I do:

No matter what "dressing" you use for it, always wrap it in foil when you put it in the oven or on the bbq. It locks the moisture in and cooks faster. Salmon only takes about 10-15mins to cook, especially when you make a little foil pouch for it to cook in.

Try it, it works. I promise :)
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Goat cheese!

I know you said you don't like mustard, but in case anyone else is interested: stuff the salmon with goat cheese, cover in a glaze of dijon mustard, mayo, and honey, in a ratio to your taste, and bake. Amazing. (Mayo + honey makes a nice glaze on its own, too)
  • pestopoli
    pestopoli Posts: 111 Member
    Options

No matter what "dressing" you use for it, always wrap it in foil when you put it in the oven or on the bbq. It locks the moisture in and cooks faster. Salmon only takes about 10-15mins to cook, especially when you make a little foil pouch for it to cook in.

Foil. Foil. Foil. Can't say it enough. You can't bake fish (and still have it be juicy) with foil or parchment paper. Maybe you can, but ain't nobody got time for that.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    My husband marinades ours in freshly squeezed lime juice & cilantro - yum.
    Another good one is a brown sugar (it doesn't take much)...
    Or fresh made pesto...

If you are having problems w/ it being too dry - odds are you are over cooking it.
  • stephysd
    stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    We usually just smoke our on the grill with cedar planks with slices of lemon on them. No seasoning. Then when we eat I usually make a fresh fruit chutney to go along with it. Most of the time a mango one. Fresh tomato chutney is also really good as well.
  • nursespark
    nursespark Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I take an orange and squeeze juice from it on my salmon ( then eat the pulp since you have to account for the calories) let the orange juice marinate .. It makes the salmon moist and has a nice flavor.. Sometimes I will add a tsp of real maple syrup to the salmon.
  • rmh1262
    rmh1262 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great tip! Thanks :)
  • fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I coat mine in crushed almonds with a few seasonings, pan sear it then finish it off in the oven. It never comes out dry.
  • tsilanskas
    tsilanskas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When you buy a piece of salmon, the key to making sure it isn't dry is making sure that the skin is on it. Broiling or grilling is the best option but you have to be careful and watch it - as stated before making it in a packet of tinfoil with non-stick cooking spray is the best way to keep moisture inside it.

Here's one of my favorite ways to cook it:

Chili Powder
    Cumin
    Parsley
    Garlic Powder
    Kosher Salt
    Fresh Cracked Pepper
    Fresh Lime
    Cooking Spray

-Coat tinfoil with cooking spray and lay the salmon skin side down. Sprinkle lightly with kosher salt and cracked pepper (contrary to popular belief you need to season your meat for the right flavor and salt actually helps hold in the natural juices of meat but don't go crazy, just a little bit). Sprinkle generously with garlic powder (or fresh minced garlic if you prefer), cumin and chili powder (chili powder isn't about heat it's about smoky flavor). Spray the top of the filet with non-stick spray and you can wrap it in tinfoil or leave it to breathe. Place in the oven under the broiler or at 425-degrees for 15-18 minutes. Check salmon to see if it flakes and is done in the center. If it flakes and doesn't look fleshy then it's done - take it out! Overcooking salmon is the leading cause of it being dry. Cut the lime and squeeze over the salmon before serving. (You can also use cilantro on the salmon which my husband likes but I don't)

For a creamy sauce you can use equal parts fat free sour cream and taco sauce with a squirt of lime juice and chili powder.
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This will sounds really strange, and I was scared the first time I tried it, but it is now one of my fave ways to have salmon.

Note* I am NOT a ketchup person, I have it on hot dogs and hamburgers, and maybe dip fries of grilled cheese it, otherwise I don't touch it.

Salmon Filet - cut into it like a tic tac toe board, but not cutting all the way through, your squares should be about an inch big.

Spread mayo on top, then swipe a VERY thin layer of ketchup.

Bake on a cooking sheet until cooked through (10-15 minutes)

The mayo and ketchup melt into the squares giving a creamy / bbq type flavor.

Option is to add chopped red onion before you bake it.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    If it is dry, you are overcooking it. I do it all the time btw. Try grilling them in aluminum foil "packs" or baking them covered in alluminum foil. This will keep the moisture in.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Thanks these sound great !
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options
    I make salmon all the time and it never comes out dry.

Here's what I do:

Try it, it works. I promise :)

I do this for every meat I cook. Great tip :)
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Bacon sammich with salmon as the "bread."

Plenty of protein right there.
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i am totally OBSESSED with this recipe. we eat it once a week now and i love having a piece leftover for lunch the next day! i always put the fish rub side down on my preheated grill pan (i wish i had an outdoor grill) and let it sear for a few minutes. then i flip it over to the skin side for a few minutes, until i can see that the fish is cooked about half way through. then i just put the whole pan into the oven for a few minutes until it's cooked all the way through. my oven is at about 400 since i am simultaneously baking asparagus or broccoli to go with the fish. i just throw them in there together. OH and you GOTTA use fresh rosemary. i bought a huge plant and it's almost gone... that's how much i make this recipe. hope you like it!

http://www.culinary.net/recipes/RecipeDetail.aspx?ID=2770&CourseName=Fish+&+Seafood&CourseID=18#.T4w7H7bFLD4.pinterest

Ingredients

4 salmon steaks or fillets (4 to 6 ounces each), thawed if necessary
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh rosemary
    3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
    1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
    1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    Additional olive oil or nonstick cooking spray - i just use a non stick pan
    1 lemon, cut in wedges

Preparation

Pat salmon steaks/fillets dry with paper towel.
    In small bowl, blend rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir in just enough olive oil to make a thick paste. Press rub mixture firmly onto cut sides of each steak/fillet (not skin); let fish rest 5 minutes before cooking.
    Heat grill or broiler/oven to medium-high. Brush grill surface with oil or coat broiler pan with cooking spray.
    Grill or broil salmon, rub side down, 5 inches from heat source for 4 minutes. Turn salmon over carefully, and continue cooking an additional 4 to 5 minutes or until just done. Serve with lemon wedges.
  • Jodycnd
    Jodycnd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    We like it grilled with skim layer of mayo on top to help seal in moisture. When finished, top with a piece of havarti cheese (allow to melt) and carmelized onions and bell peppers. Yum!
  • ericthirdrow
    ericthirdrow Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, salmon cooks fast... I usually cook in the oven without foil and it's done and juicy in 20 minutes on about 350.

As far as toppings go, try crabmeat maybe? If you can get it locally it's healthy and delicious.
  • DancesWithBirds
    DancesWithBirds Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Since it's fishing season we have been experimenting with different fish recipes. My current favorite, which I use with both trout and (lake) salmon:

Rinse them, then lay them out in the pan. Pat dry with a paper towel. Spray lightly with an olive oil spray. Dust with black pepper. Sprinkle on some minced garlic (I use 2 cloves for 4 fillets). Sprinkle on some chopped cilantro (about 2 TBSP for 4 fillets). Cut two lemons into thin slices and place the slices over the fish. Take the end pieces and squeeze them out over the whole thing. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. The fish should be flaky and come right off the skin when it's done.

I don't care for fish, but I eat it because we can get it for free (relatively speaking) and because it is good for you. This recipe makes it yummy to me.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe I found on foodnetwork.com:
    I reduced the amount of salt by half, cayenne pepper to 1 tsp and used chili powder instead.
    I also subbed the heavy cream with fat free half-and-half, used reduced fat blue cheese crumbles, and eliminated the butter.

Blackened Salmon with Blue Cheese Sauce

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
    1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
    2 tablespoons paprika
    2 tablespoons salt
    1 1/2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 tablespoon grapeseed oil, for frying
    4 (6-ounce) portions skinless and boneless salmon fillets
    Blue Cheese Sauce:
    1/4 cup white wine
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    3/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

In a small bowl, combine the Italian seasoning, black pepper, paprika, salt, and cayenne. Season each piece of fish with the rub.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the butter and oil. Once the butter has melted, add the fish and cook about 2 minutes per side.

Transfer the whole pan to the oven and cook for another 4 to 6 minutes.

For the sauce:
    Place the white wine into a medium saucepan and reduce by half. Add the heavy cream and allow to reduce. Add the blue cheese and whisk until smooth. Serve on top of the salmon.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aaron-mccargo-jr/blackened-salmon-with-blue-cheese-sauce-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback