Why You Probably Don’t Need to Eat a Gluten Free Diet

Replies

• mrslynah
    mrslynah Posts: 39 Member
    All of the new found poisons or diseases are made up by marketing firms to help Pharmaceutical companies sell you toxins! 100 years ago there was no such thing as Gluten ...... CARBS..............High protien low fat diets! I am a firm believer that you can eat whatever you like in moderation and maintain a healthy weight! All of the bogus PCOS and Fybromyalfia..........total body pain or total body aches is BOGUS! its all in your head used as an excuse to STAY fat, or stay lazy! either way its an excuse. IMHO.

No offense but this comment is ignorant and should be removed.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    This is great and all, but I figured I might add my 2 cents for what they are worth.

I was recently diagnosed with an auto-immune disorder called Hashimoto's Thyroid Disease. It's advised that patients with the disorder go Gluten Free (all auto-immune disorders seem to be helped by a diet free of gluten). I've, up until now, always believed in moderation, but I do notice now when I eat/drink certian things I feel like death warmed over. Alcohol affects me now, where it never did before. I'm also thinking of going dairy free, but one thing at a time. I'm not doing this to lose weight, or to follow some magic diet that you can lose tons of weight on. I'm doing it to feel better.

So, yes, for most people going gluten free/dairy free/paleo (whatever you want to call it) is hooey. But for us lucky ones that actually have a health reason to actually give it a go, you can't say it's not worth it.
  • mrslynah
    mrslynah Posts: 39 Member
    This is great and all, but I figured I might add my 2 cents for what they are worth.

I was recently diagnosed with an auto-immune disorder called Hashimoto's Thyroid Disease. It's advised that patients with the disorder go Gluten Free (all auto-immune disorders seem to be helped by a diet free of gluten). I've, up until now, always believed in moderation, but I do notice now when I eat/drink certian things I feel like death warmed over. Alcohol affects me now, where it never did before. I'm also thinking of going dairy free, but one thing at a time. I'm not doing this to lose weight, or to follow some magic diet that you can lose tons of weight on. I'm doing it to feel better.

So, yes, for most people going gluten free/dairy free/paleo (whatever you want to call it) is hooey. But for us lucky ones that actually have a health reason to actually give it a go, you can't say it's not worth it.

I have Stage IV Endometriosis and have recently gone gluten free for the same reasons. Glad someone else gets it. And good for you for taking your condition into your own hands. Those changes are not easy, but I agree they are worth it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Glad you're finished. You and the author of this article can go back to not believing people who have non-GI symptoms of gluten sensitivity. It is because of people like you that we are not believed and told it is all in our heads. You probably also tell people that they can "wish" their migraine away. Wouldn't it be nice if that were the case... Keep laughing about it.

I also cannot believe you are 49 years old and you used "LOL." That's ridiculous.

I told you that I'm gluten free. I agree with you. It doesn't change the fact that you mis-read the article and overreacted.

And, oh, hmmm.... would this be the right time to bring up the topic of shaming again? Playing the shaming card was why I got irritated with you to start with. Well, you just did it to me.

Because you deserved it.

And I didn't misread anything. I know how to read between the lines. You clearly do not.

"Reading between the lines" is also known as inference. :wink:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Never mind, it will fall on deaf ears anyway.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Glad you're finished. You and the author of this article can go back to not believing people who have non-GI symptoms of gluten sensitivity. It is because of people like you that we are not believed and told it is all in our heads. You probably also tell people that they can "wish" their migraine away. Wouldn't it be nice if that were the case... Keep laughing about it.

I also cannot believe you are 49 years old and you used "LOL." That's ridiculous.

I told you that I'm gluten free. I agree with you. It doesn't change the fact that you mis-read the article and overreacted.

And, oh, hmmm.... would this be the right time to bring up the topic of shaming again? Playing the shaming card was why I got irritated with you to start with. Well, you just did it to me.

Because you deserved it.

And I didn't misread anything. I know how to read between the lines. You clearly do not.

Hangry?

I'm gonna take a guess and say yes. Overwhelmingly hangry.

tumblr_inline_mgiqacYT8f1ro2d43.gif
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    All of the new found poisons or diseases are made up by marketing firms to help Pharmaceutical companies sell you toxins! 100 years ago there was no such thing as Gluten ...... CARBS..............High protien low fat diets! I am a firm believer that you can eat whatever you like in moderation and maintain a healthy weight! All of the bogus PCOS and Fybromyalfia..........total body pain or total body aches is BOGUS! its all in your head used as an excuse to STAY fat, or stay lazy! either way its an excuse. IMHO.

Agree!
    My aunt, who has fibromyalgia, is very thin-she also used to breed/show horses and was very active in that community. Now she's almost non-functioning from the pain and she's lost her husband, her job and her ability to work with horses, which is her passion. It almost killed her to have to sell her horses, because she could no longer take care of them properly. Yeah, not an excuse to be fat or lazy :/
  • Mokey41

Agree!
    My aunt, who has fibromyalgia, is very thin-she also used to breed/show horses and was very active in that community. Now she's almost non-functioning from the pain and she's lost her husband, her job and her ability to work with horses, which is her passion. It almost killed her to have to sell her horses, because she could no longer take care of them properly. Yeah, not an excuse to be fat or lazy :/

The tone of the post was off and I don't think any of those diseases are bogus or made up. I do think that there are a lot of people who hide behind the excuse that they have a medical issue that prevents them from losing weight. It makes it bad for those who are truly suffering from an illness and in some cases the disease was brought on by obesity in the first place. PCOS is an example of trying to figure out which came first.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    People going GF as a fad diet aren't going to last long. Gluten is everywhere, and avoiding it is a pain in the rear. People with real gluten issues are the ones who will stick with it long-term because they have to, not because it's a cool thing to do.

I'm gluten and dairy free (per doctor's orders) and for the first time in over a decade, I don't spend my days and nights anxiously awaiting the next bout of nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. It takes a lot of extra work to cook everything from scratch, but it's worth it.

OP makes it sound like GF people are a bunch of morons. But if you haven't lived though the chronic misery, or lived with someone who has, you wouldn't understand the difference it makes in the lives of gluten sensitive individuals.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    I gave it up because of extreme fatigue and headaches. Since eating gluten free, I have have had no headaches, and have more energy. I don't believe in the fad, and I will eat wheat and/or gluten if I want, but there is a definite link between how I feel and not eating gluten. In general, I have found that I feel better overall if I keep my carbs lower. I am not into the no carbs fad, but for the first time in my life, I am more in tune with my body and how it feels eating (and not eating) certain foods.
  • Mokey41

Right, there must be something wrong with me. It has nothing to do with the fact that I'm being attacked. God forbid anyone on this forum not agree with the mob...

You started the whole thing with your "reading between the lines" and "critical thinking" of the OP and now you're being attacked?

Just as a side note I'm 55 and I use LOL, WTF, WTG and many other juvenile short cuts for texting because I don't have a stick shoved up my *kitten*!
  • barboryte1
    barboryte1 Posts: 13 Member
    Dangerous name for the article. For those of us that have no allergies or sensitivities to gluten or wheat or any other foods, it makes no sense. I know I don;t need a GF diet, but my husband does. He hasn't been diagnosed for celiac (only wheat allergy), but if he eats a crumb of wheat or soy sauce, he is sick in bed for days. In pain, bloated, and other things I do not want to mention publicly.... It is easier for my family when GF products are everywhere. We even considered to change the whole household over to GF. Not because it's better for us, but because it is safer for him.
    I haven;t heard a physician, a nutritionist or dietitian yet tell me go GF 'cause it's better for you. If some quacks out there say it to people that listen, it's a lost cause. Because no article like this will convince them anyway.
    To summarize, GF is not a Fad. It's a disease that is better diagnosed, better controlled now - thanks to the manufacturers jumping on this bandwagon. Otherwise, I would have to make all this stuff at home.
    (Oh, btw - even fast food burgers have wheat in them. So at least this fad brought to light that meat is not really meat in some places.)
  • DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    Each person's biochemistry is unique and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another - and I think each person has to make up their mind as to what suits them. I was interested in the fact that the OP was citing sources that linked gluten and leaky gut. I had leaky gut, but mine was caused by candida overgrowth.

The following quote between the stars *** is from the book "Wellness Against All Odds" by Dr. Sherry Rogers, M.D.; Published by Prestige Publishing, P.O. Box 3068, 3500 Brewerton Road, Syracuse, New York, 13220.

*****The question that is often asked, as relates to the leaky gut syndrome, is answered by Dr. Rogers, that either can cause either - - in her words, "The leaky gut can cause food allergy, and food allergy can cause the leaky gut." Once that occurs, any number of auto-immune diseases can develop, such as rheumatoid arthritis, thyroiditis, lupus, multiple sclerosis ALS, as any part of the body can be the target for food allergy, including our inside skin lining the gut, which can manifest as ulcerative colitis.

Some people are so sensitive to gluten, (found in wheat, rye, barley, and oats, and other grains) that they react to the slightest amount, not even knowing that they are sensitive to it. Dr. Rogers explains that the gluten sensitivity inflames the gut to the degree that he the body will make antibodies to of intestinal bacteria and chemical additives in foods.*****

My point is that 10 years ago my body was a mess. I had IBS, arthritis, gout, gallstones, brain fog and was 70lbs overweight. I found out I had a candida overgrowth, which had caused food allergies. The candida overgrowth had come about because of a period of intense stress had caused an imbalance in my intestinal flora.

Over the next few years I worked out what caused me problems. I found I was intolerant to wheat, dairy, eggs, yeast, alcohol, caffeine and any additives like MSG or aspartame. I was tested for coeliac but wasn't gluten intolerant but I did have a wheat allergy.

Wheat gives me immediate and severe stomach cramps that puts my stomach into spasm for 2-3 days. Dairy runs straight through me. Eggs give me breathlessness and palpitations; alcohol and vinegar cause immediate mouth ulcers and irritate my intestinal tract and cause cystitis at the other end. Caffeine causes me to have blackouts, MSG and aspartame cause palpitations and make me feel awful. I know this because I have managed to isolate individually what they do through elimination and trying to reintroduce them. Whereas when I ate them it was difficult to isolate each one individually because it all bundled together into 'IBS' and generally feeling ill and fatigued.

However, eliminating these from my diet also enabled me to drop the weight (and it has stayed off) and all of the other symptoms like the arthritis, gout, IBS and gallstones cleared up and have never come back for the past 9 years.

Believe me, I wouldn't have put myself through all the torment of giving up all the things I loved (bread, cheese, yogurt etc etc) if it wasn't for the health benefits, but I didn't find out the full extent of the benefits until after I had eliminated them.

So I think that people should be able to try what works for them. If they notice no difference then they won't keep going with it as it's pretty hard to make these major adjustments.

As a final PS, I am pleased that GF has become more prevalent in recent years as I am now able to go to an Italian restaurant and have GF pasta. Ten years ago that just wasn't an option. :-)
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Awesome... Gluten Free.. more marketing Hype if you ask me.. Create a disorder then sell you the cure / prevention. Eat whole grains and minimally processed food & a balanced diet, you will be fine. Just like grandma used to make... jmop. . . :wink:

I usually avoid all the threads debating dietary and autoimmune gluten issues. Simply because (like above) somebody always chimes in with comments on Celiac being a false or created disease. I've been banned before for wishing my symptoms on a particularly ignorant *gentleman*. :blushing:

I wanted to pop in to thank you for this article though. I appreciate that there are people out there who have the ability to differentiate between a fad diet and a disorder which produce the same dietary restrictions. Maybe one day servers at restaurants will be properly educated on gluten and will take it as seriously as any other allergy.... having said that, this Wheat Belly fad will likely have to pass first.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    If you aren’t experiencing any symptoms of these three conditions, there’s no sound scientific reason for you to avoid gluten. None.
    There is nothing that says you have to, no. However, there is nothing in bread/wheat you can't get elsewhere, probably with a better nutrient profile. Potatoes and rice will provide you with plenty of carbs, in addition to fruits and vegetables. So as far as 'fads' go, at least this is probably not at all harmful.

I've been experimenting with reducing wheat and sugar in my diet for a month or so. It's not really so hard (probably much harder if you actually have celiac's and have to watch out for every little spec, but if you are just reducing/avoiding it's not so bad). It's definately easy to cook without wheat at home. I don't buy 'gluten free' processed foods, I just buy meats and fruits and veggies and dairy. Voila.

The main consequence of this change is that I'm eating more vegetables and I've lost 8 pounds.
  • Kindone
    Kindone Posts: 138 Member
    Never ever knew I had an issue with gluten until I went off wheat (was supposed to be briefly) for recurring agonizing sinus headaches. During that time, my experience with chronic fatigue, floaty body aches, and all body pain went away. When I would reintroduce wheat to my diet, I would get an autoimmune reaction and spike a fever, get body aches and afterward gastro effects as though my gut was attacked in a back alley by a gang wearing jack boots. I won't get tested because it involves going back on gluten. I miss bread like hell. Seriously. It might be a fad right now, but I am so grateful someone suggested it to me otherwise I would still be wasting my life not being active and taking medication for curious pains.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    For those who do not have a medical reason for going gluten free, it is merely another fad diet that will eventually fade when the next fad comes along. The diet is far too restrictive for people who do not truly have a medical reason for giving it up.

Dealing with the dogma that comes from a "true believer" is a whole other ball game (again not directed at people with legitimate health issues). It is pointless to try to give a differing opinion to someone who is 100% certain they have discovered the holy grail of dieting.

For me, I take everything I read on here with a grain of salt (sorry to those of you who don't believe in salt) because, based on what I have read on this board, I think I can safely say that 99+% of the people posting have no advanced education in nutrition.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    The diet is far too restrictive for people who do not truly have a medical reason for giving it up.
    But...it's not really. If you live in the paleo/primal world, their are a lot of people who are big on the 80/20 principal. So you eat meats, fruits, veggies, potato, maybe rice, what have you 80% of the time, but if you are dying for a pancake it's ok to have it. To me, that isn't restrictive, that's a choice. In fact, my coworker asked me if I 'couldn't have' something and I told her I can have anything I want I'm choosing to avoid it right now. So some of this is a psychological question of what works for you.

Some people go on these crazy diets where they only eat grapefruits or whatever and that has never been my personality, but I find this, using a moderate approach, fairly easy.

What I think is interesting on this board...there seem to be a lot of people who are downright offended if you say you are avoiding something, even if that something is twinkies. 'EAT ALL THE FOODS' they tell you. Well, that may work great for you, but some people have to experiment not just with what works for weight loss but also what makes them feel good, not hungry, sleep better, low stress, etc.. And nobody else can say what will work for a specific person in this regard. So live and let live, I say. If you want to live off pasta and bread and diet cokes, go for it! But don't freak out if someone makes a different choice either.
  • kelly_lake
    kelly_lake Posts: 25 Member
    Well, guess what happens when you eliminate a large food group like grains from your diet? You tend to replace them with more protein, fruit, and vegetables. In other words, you improve your diet. A lot of people go from eating a horrible diet to a healthy diet by default when they go gluten-free. It's not the lack of gluten that makes you feel better, it's the improvement in other parts of your diet.

I agree with this - since going gluten free I have as you said defaulted into better eating habits. I find it miles easier to hit my macros every day, and my diet is now mostly free from processed food. I don't buy 'gluten-free' alternatives as a rule though, apart from having gluten free flour at home for occasional use in cooking, I just don't eat the foods that contain it. I guess if you were replacing the bread/biscuits/pasta/pastry etc with gluten free alternatives it wouldn't have the same effect. As it is, I now get my carbs from brown rice, potatoes, fruit and veg, not from processed junk.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    bumping to read article in OP from home later on...