How does anyone actually commit to this?

Options
I'm having a rough time staying committed to my diet and I lack motivation completely when it comes to exercising. My boyfriend is amazing but he can be a butthead sometimes and told me last night we should just throw away the clothes I wore at my lowest weight because it's not like I'm going to fit into them again anyways. He was mostly joking because he's trying to make light of the massive spring cleaning we're doing in our apartment but it still it my feelings. It was quite a reality check. Idk how to really force myself into making this commitment. I do well all day and end up binging like mad at night. Help?

Replies

• TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Well, your diary isn't public, so we can't see if you're not eating enough of the right things to help keep you full. But when it comes to motivation, you have to find your "why". Why are you doing this? What do you hope to get out of it? MFP does not market itself as a "diet". It is a lifestyle change where you eat the right number of Calories and do the right exercises for YOU to get to where YOU want to be in life.

Good luck! And keep after it! 25 lbs down is nothing to sneeze at. Don't give up now, or in a few months you'll be back where you started and kicking yourself because you have to begin all over again.
  • muaylex
    muaylex Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My fiancé said the same thing!!! But don't give up!! I love love love to eat but I want to feel good about myself, feel healthy, be able to wear my 10 years old jeans, and look my best on my wedding day which coming up in three weeks...you can look at my fluctuate weight on my diary...I know it is very hard to commit but once you set your mind to it, nothing can stop you!!! Feel free to add me as a friend for support and motivation!!!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Honestly nobody can help you. If you don't want this bad enough yet all the encouragement and motivation in the world won't make you do it. Sorry you have to do this all by yourself and when you are truly ready the commitment and motivation will come.
    Good luck.
  • themanda04
    themanda04 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i honestly don't know. what i do know is that the times i've made major, substantial changes to my life i didn't have to 'try'. i channeled my inner yoda, and i just did it. i quit smoking, cold turkey, over fifteen years ago because i had an epiphany moment and just became a non-smoker. it wasn't a struggle for me coming off a nearly two pack a day habit of ten+ years, because in my mind i wasn't a smoker any longer. marriage ended and i walked away pretty easily (the constant contact of sharing a child has made things...interesting...but i didn't grieve the end of the marriage). when i decided i was sick and tired of being fat, i started to make changes to make me not-fat. i didn't have to force myself to do anything, i just accepted and welcomed my change of status and started to learn how to live this new lifestyle.

i'm not saying you're wrong or in the wrong mindset, i'm just stating how i've approached things. maybe you're just not ready to lose yet?
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I didn't really start out by committing to the whole thing. I started out committing to tiny positive changes. The only thing I committed to at first was to log everything I ate, not actually reduce it. Just doing that is a learning experience that for me lead to more commitments... drink more water, walk every day, eat at or near my calorie goal, and it has slowly built into a lifestyle change.
  • bugtaylor
    bugtaylor Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    keep the faith don't give up
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you want it bad enough you'll just do the work.

I had to reach that point, and had to stop allowing myself to make excuses. It was a daily battle, in my mind. BUT it has gotten easier and easier to just follow my plan now. And I LOVE to stay active, my workouts are so important to me now.

It takes practice but you can totally do it.
    Good luck.

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    It takes heart. You have to have it in order to want it to be a better you.
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    it does take heart and it requires you to really examine yourself and your motivations and priorities... a challenge group really helps too because they will keep you accountable... if you are looking for a group let me know ill get you plugged into one.
  • RyanJK85
    RyanJK85 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Just make the choice and stick to it....try to make it "fun". Just dont give up!
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    Honestly nobody can help you. If you don't want this bad enough yet all the encouragement and motivation in the world won't make you do it. Sorry you have to do this all by yourself and when you are truly ready the commitment and motivation will come.
    Good luck.

This. Good luck.
  • taylorckt1
    taylorckt1 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Good luck.

Agreed!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    What are the things you are binging on at night? Maybe you could plan your day and plan "treats" into your calorie allowance so you won't want to binge on them at night. Maybe you are feeling deprived, so that is a way to have your cake and eat it too, so to speak. I realize not everyone can do this but it works for me. Just an idea. Good luck.
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Good luck.

THIS. Until your personal switch flips and you are ready to get into those clothes for you, it won't happen and stay that way. Not to say everyone doesn't have a bad day but when you are ready, you will fight through the bad days and they will pass and get fewer and farther between.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you want something, you'll make a commitment and Just. Do. It.

It really is that simple. How hard it is depends on you overcoming your excuses and realizing that it doesn't matter if your boyfriend, friends, etc are there with pom poms and gold stars. You have to do this for you because YOU want this.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    If you aren't ready for a change then you won't stay committed. It's that simple. When you hit your "brick wall" of not being able to take the way you are anymore, then you'll stay committed.

Wish you the best.
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You have to want it bad enough. Once you get into a routine, you will just keep doing it. It won't be so hard once you get going. It is all in your head. You just gotta be strong enough.
  • moondust7
    moondust7 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    One of my friends on here posted how it's *commitment*, not motivation, that really matters and is what we need to focus on. And that is so true. I almost never have the motivation to work out (LOL) but I make myself do it b/c I've committed to trying to be healthy. And as some others on here said, sometimes small changes are easier to start off with. Good luck - you can do it.
  • 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Just make the choice and stick to it....try to make it "fun". Just dont give up!
    ^^^
    Well said! :flowerforyou:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Only commit to make the tiniest of effort. Instead of trying to eat the whole elephant in one bite, break things down into manageable portions. First try changing what you eat for only one meal a day. Make that meal the healthiest you possibly can. When I was working an office job, the easiest meal for me to make uber-healthy was lunch. I'd pack a salad or stir fry for lunch and cram as many veggies into my lunch box as humanly possible.

The real key to long term success is keeping it manageable. Don't go the the gym and expect to bench press a Mack Truck and not feel like it is too much to take on. If you never exercise, commit to a 10 minute walk every day. Everyone, no matter how busy can usually find 10 minutes to take a walk.

Just make very small changes. Keep piling the very small changes one on top of the other. It all adds up eventually.