IF (intermittent Fasting)???

Options

Replies

• Cherry_T
    Cherry_T Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I really only use it whenever I`m feeling bloated. It`s really rejuvinating!
  • madmiya
    madmiya Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    man, we fast every night. lols
    fasting is okay like everything else if not taken to extremes.
    its funny how not eating is fasting. that's like living your life entirely based on food..
    measuring your days only by food. we're so cray.

how would you measure time?
    space between picking up a crayon?
    space between sleeping?
    whole lotta living there.
  • benchenryce
    Options
    it's not recommended for skinny people. study shows that it works on bigger people. But skinny people can still do it. something about body taking the fat for energy. then some study shows that your body goes in a panic mode and stores the food into fat so you can store energy or something.

I eat at 6 PM and then I eat around 10 AM. I guess thats IF ?
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    it's not recommended for skinny people. study shows that it works on bigger people. But skinny people can still do it. something about body taking the fat for energy. then some study shows that your body goes in a panic mode and stores the food into fat so you can store energy or something.

huh?

I used IF to get this "skinny". 6.3%,
    991269_2670.jpg
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I do IF. Stick to roughly 1900 calories every day, only eating between 12-6pm and I work out between 5.30am-7.30am and 8am-10pm on weekends. I've dropped 28lbs in just over 2 months. I don't feel hungry all the time, I don't feel tired (if anything I feel more awake then when I used to) and I have no problem with getting my calories and my macros in daily.

If you combine IF with a decent weight + HIIT Cardio routine, the fat will melt off.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options

No, and no.
  • mrslynah
    mrslynah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I did well on IF with an 8 hour eating window. I always naturally skipped breakfast, but then when I was on a diet and trying to be "healthy", I would make myself eat it. The research is really groundbreaking and dispels a lot of myths about starvation and our bodies needing food all the time. I burned through a plateau with IF, eating my first meal at 1pm and not eating after 9pm. If you really want to dip into those fat stores, work out (safely, please) right before you break your fast. Talk about torching fat! Also, always break your fast with a TON of protein! And don't let your last meal of the day be full of sugar and carbs, or your morning fast will be harder. If you eat protein in your last meal of the day and your first meal of the day, it will be easier.
    I need to get back to it, as I miss seeing the scale drop every day. I've taken a break to focus on other aspects of my health and diet, but this thread has reminded me how much I loved it. Best of luck!
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    want to save for comments. thanks
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I did well on IF with an 8 hour eating window. I always naturally skipped breakfast, but then when I was on a diet and trying to be "healthy", I would make myself eat it. The research is really groundbreaking and dispels a lot of myths about starvation and our bodies needing food all the time. I burned through a plateau with IF, eating my first meal at 1pm and not eating after 9pm. If you really want to dip into those fat stores, work out (safely, please) right before you break your fast. Talk about torching fat! Also, always break your fast with a TON of protein! And don't let your last meal of the day be full of sugar and carbs, or your morning fast will be harder. If you eat protein in your last meal of the day and your first meal of the day, it will be easier.
    I need to get back to it, as I miss seeing the scale drop every day. I've taken a break to focus on other aspects of my health and diet, but this thread has reminded me how much I loved it. Best of luck!

The macronutrients of the meals and satiety will be more of an individual thing. Not that I'm a massive proponent of it but Carb Back Loading for example is very similar to LG IF style except it has you eating the majority of your carbs at night and predominantly high GI (sugary) ones.
  • NoleGirl0918
    NoleGirl0918 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Bump for later as i'm interested in this also.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I believe it's working for me. I went with leangains 16/8 but sometimes do 14/10. I decided to do this as part of my weight training routine.
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 IF every weekday; it's easy for me because breakfast makes me feel ill and I don't tend to get hungry unless I've eaten that day.

It's great for keeping my appetite in check overall. I've lost between 60 and 80 lbs twice before since 2008, but have always regained with a vengeance because sooner or later eating 1500 cals a day every day just leaves me ravenous.

I haven't been working out while losing weight, I must add. I just commute by walking (intense exercise makes me disproportionately hungry, so I can't maintain a deficit and work out).

For me IF is all about appetite control.
  • barbquebutt
    barbquebutt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started my IF routine at 9pm on Sunday night. Broke my first fast (which was ROUGH) on Monday at noon. I've managed a 8pm-12pm fast in the subsequent days.

I haven't managed to get into a gym since I started, but since Sunday night, I have lost 3 pounds only using IF and tracking my calories on myfitnesspal. So I'd say it's working. I'm looking forward to when I can actually start a workout routine to REALLY start shedding the belly.
  • RAGGEDYANN1970
    RAGGEDYANN1970 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i guess my question is:
    if you are only eating during a certain window, but you have to work-out outside of that window, how do you eat protein/food to refuel your body? i am used to working-out (with weights) then eating immediately, protein bar, p-butter, chicken, recover shake, etc. but i work-out very early mornings and my window of IF eating would have to be late due to eating dinner with my family, etc.

is it ok to work-out, then not eat for several hours after? that doesn't feel right to me. (still learning) :smile:

ex: i work-out at 8:00 a.m. (this is inflexible due to childcare issues and teaching homeschool)
    my eating window would probably be 12:00 noon to 6:00 p.m.
  • RAGGEDYANN1970
    Options
    bump for an answer to my query :smile:
  • chrisdavey
    Options
  • giveMEbeauty
    giveMEbeauty Posts: 192
    Options
    I'm trying out the 20:4 and 16: 8 fasts
  • RAGGEDYANN1970
    Options

thank you very much. i had been looking for that website and that information. it takes a while to read through and digest, but finally i think i could make sense of it. appreciate the info! :happy:
  • Oceanborn2
    Oceanborn2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any links to studies on this? I've tried IF myself and it worked very well, but what I'm curious about is HOW it worked.

I think when it comes down to it, I ended up eating less calories and I probably had a little less water weight on me. That's why I'm curious about seeing some studies.

I wonder if it's more of just a way of controlling caloric intake and water weight stuff, or if it actually does something to your metabolism and actually burns more fat.
  • codexehow
    codexehow Posts: 1
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs over a few months a few years ago. I ate for 24 hours and then fasted for 24 hours. I really loved it. Once you get used to it, you don't feel any hunger. I ate whatever I wanted on the "on" days and still lost weight. Here's the caveat, though: this is not a diet so much as a lifestyle change. If you go back to regular eating (like I did), you will gain it all back. I got a more physical job and it became too difficult. I could have adapted, and now I wish I had :P.

Another thing to consider is that IF makes social functions a bit challenging. If you get dragged to an all you can eat buffet on your non-eating day you'll waste your money AND be miserable :P.

Regarding how it works....there's no way you can eat in one day what you would eat in two, or at least this is very difficult for most people to do. You end up with a calorie deficit. Also, your brain requires glucose to function, so if you've burned your glycogen stores (which isn't hard to do), your body has to break down fat when you fast just to keep you alive.