Losing weight for modeling

Options

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    By BMI you're underweight. (And I used 114, not 110.5). What is your bf%? What are you hoping to get to? If you are not eating at a surplus, you did not gain significant muscle. You may have gained a bit, but that will stop once your body adjusts. Your muscles could also be holding onto water as they adjust to your new workout. The best way to lose body fat when you're already at a healthy weight is to eat at a slight deficit and lift heavy with some cardio tossed in if you want. However, I would highly suggest your talk to a professional. If you really are 5'9.5" and 110-114 pounds and think you need to drop body fat, there may be something deeper going on you need to address. Unless you have hardly and muscle and are like 30% body fat at that height and weight, I can't imagine you anything to really lose.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    By BMI you're underweight. (And I used 114, not 110.5). What is your bf%? What are you hoping to get to? If you are not eating at a surplus, you did not gain significant muscle. You may have gained a bit, but that will stop once your body adjusts. Your muscles could also be holding onto water as they adjust to your new workout. The best way to lose body fat when you're already at a healthy weight is to eat at a slight deficit and lift heavy with some cardio tossed in if you want. However, I would highly suggest your talk to a professional. If you really are 5'9.5" and 110-114 pounds and think you need to drop body fat, there may be something deeper going on you need to address. Unless you have hardly and muscle and are like 30% body fat at that height and weight, I can't imagine you anything to really lose.

You are underweight - a lot....at almost 5'10 a thigh measurement of 19 is seriously small - it would be hard to argue any muscle there...And describing that as "bulky and big" shows a serious issue with body image...
    Get help please?
  • DerangedDonut
    Options

My bone frame is really small, so bmi isn't really a good indicator to use. My doctor even recommended I lose weight when I was at a bmi of 19 because for my frame it was too much. My goal is to have 36 inch hips, 35.5 if I can have that at a weight that's healthy for me. My legs are back to normal now that I've stopped lifting weights.

I'm not sure what my bodyfat% is, but I would estimate it at around 27-28% (Don't have access to a scanner or calipers). I'd love to have some ab definition ):

My new doctor has no issue with my weight, and when I saw a nutritionist she said I was eating great except for lacking in the carb department, which I can't really change since carb-heavy foods like bread and pasta irritate my bowels (might be IBS according to my doctor, he's unsure)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It is odd you have 19 inch thighs at such a low weight.
    I am just a tad taller than you, about 30Ibs more, and my thighs are only a half inch bigger. My hips are also 36". At your weight, my hips were around 34, and my thighs around 17.
    I have pretty low bodyfat% so I am guessing you have a fairly high bodyfat% in spite of your low weight, in which case, you would be better off focussing on losing bodyfat, and forgetting the scale.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    What sort of modelling is this? Catalog modelling? Fashion modelling? I know some fashion model types and man... they have some some very light frames. I always wonder how they fit into the BMI.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know how you gained an inch on your thighs lifting 5lb weights while I'm squatting 440lbs and can't gain anything. Please share your secret.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I started lifting heavy last semester, but I had to stop because my thighs got really big.

I eat a lot and don't do much cardio. I focus on strength mainly.

Then eat less. You aren't going to get anything smaller (body fat, measurements, weight, etc) if you are eating too much.

And if you are focused on strength, you aren't losing muscle. If you are, you're doing something seriously wrong.
    shouldn't be telling people to eat less before you know what they're eating now.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I started lifting heavy last semester, but I had to stop because my thighs got really big.

Then eat less. You aren't going to get anything smaller (body fat, measurements, weight, etc) if you are eating too much.

And if you are focused on strength, you aren't losing muscle. If you are, you're doing something seriously wrong.
    shouldn't be telling people to eat less before you know what they're eating now.

measurements increasing = surplus
  • glovepuppet
    Options

measurements increasing = surplus
    Usually.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know how you gained an inch on your thighs lifting 5lb weights while I'm squatting 440lbs and can't gain anything. Please share your secret.

I'd guess she was still growing. Hormones and all. She's only 19.
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    The accusatory tone of so many of the responses is intriguing.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Since you are training for a very specific body type for modeling it might make sense to make the professional investment to get a trainer who can tone you up the way you want. I think you are at a point where amateurs on a website can't help.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any experience?

I'm pretty thin but I need to get my hips around 36 inches at MOST, which is hard since I have really wide hipbones. I also need to get my bodyfat% down (it's pretty high since I have a tendency to lose muscle over fat)
    From my own experience, i hope you are not doing runway.

Also, do strength training. And even though I was below those numbers... You really don't have to have a specific hip line if you have a look someone wants, you well get a job.
  • hide_yo_cats
    hide_yo_cats Posts: 83 Member
    Options

I lost weight even though, I lost 5 pounds but my butt/thighs got bigger??? I don't know why...
    As soon as the semester ended and I stopped going to the gym I lost an inch off my upper thigh and more off of my mid-thigh.

And yes, women's bodies do work like that, it's very easy so build thigh muscle. My friend's a swimmer and even though we're the same height and size her thighs are three times mine because of her training, which doesn't even involve any heavy lifting >.>

I am sorry, but no. Not without eating at a surplus. I work very hard to KEEP the muscle in my thighs/butt while eating less. Your friend eats to fuel her swimming, if she starts eating less, her thighs will slim down. Genetics play a big role too.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I agree with Kristin and Elle, your best bet is to head to a professional for nutrition and fitness training to reach your goals. If this really is your career, then its a worthwhile investment.

I know modeling is a rough business...I wasnt even runway or catalog or anything glamourous, I modeled for a clothing designer who was putting together his portfolio. Im 5'10", at that time was about 140lbs, very muscular though as I was jsut out the army and had pretty much no fat on me, and a size 4, and considered a plus sized model. Aye!! I am a pear shape, and even at my very very smallest my hips were at 36". I can lose weight, but I will never be able to adjust the size of my hip bones...

But okay here I have a friend who is a catalogue and print ad model, she is only a sliver shorter than me, 5'9" minimum, and she is a ballet dancer. So her body is incredibly lean, but also very muscular. When shes not practicing for the theatre, shes training, and her body is *smallll*! but she looks healthy and amazing. She has a ruler shape (is that what its called?) so because of that, she just naturally has an overall slimmer frame.

I didnt see anyone ask or mention your body shape, but if you are pear or hourglass, you will have a harder time with attaining that straight model body shape, because well, your bones just arent going to shrink down to offer you that. and from what Im reading, it seems that may be part of the thing here.

But anyway, most of the models I know are also dancers, with very lean and muscular bodies.. Oh, and on being muscular, I really get blah when people say womens bodies arent built to be muscular. I have a naturally muscular body...I dont work out at all and people all the time think I live in the gym cause of my arms. When I actually do hit the gym, my arms and legs look insane. So I personally can feel where someone is coming from when they say they get bigger. All I have to do is look at a weight machine and my biceps start getting all amped up LoL

Anyway....invest in your career and get a pro to help you out.
  • chrisdavey
    Options

But anyway, most of the models I know are also dancers, with very lean and muscular bodies.. Oh, and on being muscular, I really get blah when people say womens bodies arent built to be muscular. I have a naturally muscular body...I dont work out at all and people all the time think I live in the gym cause of my arms. When I actually do hit the gym, my arms and legs look insane. So I personally can feel where someone is coming from when they say they get bigger. All I have to do is look at a weight machine and my biceps start getting all amped up LoL

pics/measurement changes?

I find that hard to believe.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

pics/measurement changes?

I find that hard to believe.

^This. There have been a ton of "I'm getting "bulky" from muscle gains from lifting (and even cardio)"...but very few pictures of the supposed bulkiness.

And the very few that did get posted ended up being not bulky. It was all in the person's head.
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Over what period of time was this? How much bigger did they get?

Already said a good inch on my upper thigh but more mid-thigh, over the course of 5 months approximately, I hadn't done heavy weights before, only 5 lbs dumbbells and bodyweight exercises.
    What is your thigh measurements - how much do you weigh and how tall are you? Without that info nobody can help you.....

Now my thigh is 19 inches. I'm 5'9.5 and 110.5 lbs at the moment because I'm sick. Before I got sick I was 114lbs and at the same measurements.

and you consider that to be a big thigh measurement for someone as tall as you?

btw, you are also rather underweight.

you clearly have lost some perspective and there is no way on this earth that any part of your body is muscular.

I'd stake my life on it.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Sigh. Just stop. Stop this. Now.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any experience?

I'm pretty thin but I need to get my hips around 36 inches at MOST, which is hard since I have really wide hipbones. I also need to get my bodyfat% down (it's pretty high since I have a tendency to lose muscle over fat)
    Honestly, at your weight now and wanting to lose more only verifies to me that modeling is probably one of the most unhealthy jobs one could take on. Not a personal attack against you, but on the pressure that the modeling world puts on young females to try to achieve a look that obviously isn't arrived at in a healthy sensible manner.
    I have no advice. Sorry.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition