Is distilled water really supposed to "clean out" the body?

Options

Replies

• Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Your kidneys cleanse the body. H20 is just that. Water.

Next.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Won't antioxidants work better at cleaning out those toxins anyway?

The only thing I use distilled water for is nasal rinse...
  • matthewcrowley
    matthewcrowley Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    distilled water clean out is total BS. save it for your clothes iron

i could give a long scientific explanation but ....
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    distilled water clean out is total BS. save it for your clothes iron

i could give a long scientific explanation but ....

Could you please give me long and scientific explanation?

Specifically, will I be better off financially if I fork out for distilled water so that the iron lives a long and happy life, or will I be better off if I fill the iron with tap water and clean it with vinegar every month or so?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,705 Member
    Options
    ETA...NOTHING is absorbed the "same way" unless it is the SAME thing.
    ALL water is H2O. Unless you've found a way to change it's molecular structure once you drink it, distilled water is still received as H2O in the body.

Anecdotes aren't evidence.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Actually distilled water is stripped of minerals normally found in "natural" water. The body will "extract" these minerals from your body. Also, distilled water loses it's pH buffering capacity. Because of this, carbon dioxide can be readily sorbed into the water causing the pH to dip below 7 which if you drink enough distilled water can result in calcium leaching from your bones to make up for the difference. Finally, the WHO has reported an increase in childhood tooth decay because more kids are drinking bottled water rather than tap water where most major municipalities flouridate the water (usually concentrations less than 4ppm because higher concentrations would cause tooth mottling and this is the maximum allowable limit set forth by the EPA).

So to answer your questions - yes - distilled water cleans out the body... of essential minerals. If you want to drink distilled water, I would suggest 1 tsp of baking soda per gallon of distilled water. You can't even taste the baking soda.

You forgot the Good part.It REMOVES TOXINS and Excess Minerals from the body.

What type of toxins does it specifically remove?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I love the Human body,anyhow no matter what Physiology teaches,everyone should be their own guide,listen to their bodies,and observe how distilled water is working for themselves.
    If this were entirely true then there wouldn't be issues of eating disorders. Human physiology is basically the same amongst all living beings (with exception of course from those suffering from disease, hormonal, birth defects, etc.) and the process to lose weight or rid waste from the body is done the same from person to person.

Unless you're a unicorn.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    DISTILLED WATER UNDENIABLY RESULTS IN A LONGER LIFE

...in automotive batteries and cooling systems.
    Booyah!

IDEA Fitness member
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I think it's good for you if youre a deep cell battery.

Hey on the flouride thought if you live off well water how are you supposed to get that into your kid? I'm pretty concerned about that I'm a city gal and have always had nice teeth which I attribute to tap water, but I live rural now and dont trust the rusty water source I have now.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    toothpaste has flouride in it.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options

Hey on the flouride thought if you live off well water how are you supposed to get that into your kid? I'm pretty concerned about that I'm a city gal and have always had nice teeth which I attribute to tap water, but I live rural now and dont trust the rusty water source I have now.

You can get fluoride tablets. Ask your dentist?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it is supposed to "clean you out" but it's certainly better for you than some of the tap water in cities.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Yes. Just as a multi-organ donation harvest cleans out the body.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

You can get fluoride tablets. Ask your dentist?

Fluoride is actually bad for you funnily enough. Causes GI distress in large enough amounts.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    All I know is it works for me!!!! VERY WELL! I have a list of foods that seem to help me lose weight faster and Distilled water is on that list.

Tell me more about how much you know about physiology!

I love the Human body,anyhow no matter what Physiology teaches,everyone should be their own guide,listen to their bodies,and observe how distilled water is working for themselves.

I wish I could put up the Channing Tatum gif about science without getting a strike for the curse word in it.

That's ok, I know which one you mean. We should just start saying "Channing Tatum Science F-Bomb Gif" :smokin: :laugh:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    It doesn't do anything special but I use it in my iron since my well water has a lot of minerals in it that would otherwise clog its components. No, you cannot draw a parallel between my iron and your body. Well, you could but then you'd officially be an idiot.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    Actually distilled water is stripped of minerals normally found in "natural" water. The body will "extract" these minerals from your body. Also, distilled water loses it's pH buffering capacity. Because of this, carbon dioxide can be readily sorbed into the water causing the pH to dip below 7 which if you drink enough distilled water can result in calcium leaching from your bones to make up for the difference

This.

I'm trying to figure out why someone would want to use distilled water for food, regular water works just fine. Distilled is used for appliances so as to avoid calcium and mineral deposits. The human body actually needs calcium and minerals. Distilled water -- great for an iron with steam function... but why would you bother to drink it rather than regular varieties?
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I drink 1 gallon a day and my body is so clean I don't even poop anymore.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    All I know is it works for me!!!! VERY WELL! I have a list of foods that seem to help me lose weight faster and Distilled water is on that list.

I thought BroScience was a guy thing...
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    water's water.