C25K week 2 comments and questions

Options

Replies

• betsij
    betsij Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Fantastic. Well done you. I finished C25K last October and run 5K three times a week. I love running and good running shoes and a sports bra have been a great support literally. I'm running Race for Life next Sunday and am looking forward to challenging myself in all those people.

I really need to look into shoes and bra...maybe after vacation, I havent looked into it but I heard it can be pricey
  • Amandatorie
    Amandatorie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My biggest advice for when the runs get longer is SLOW DOWN. You can work on your pace later. The key here is to just make it through the time running, even if you're running at a pace that is basically slower than you can walk. That was the only advice that helped me through it, and I've since run 2 5k's this year, and am signed up for another next month! I've ran an entire 5K during practice before (something I never, ever, ever though would be possible), but so far the two 5k's I've run, I did have to stop and walk a little. It was OK, though, I survived, and it was a lot of fun!
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm in about the same place as you, progress-wise - will be doing W3D3 tomorrow.

Two tips:

1. Run as slow as you need to. It's time-based, not distance-based (until you get to the "Run 5k" at the end!)
    2. Listen to music as well as 'The Voice'. I find the "start walking" catches me by surprise when I have music on, but I'm waiting for it when I don't.
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Fantastic. Well done you. I finished C25K last October and run 5K three times a week. I love running and good running shoes and a sports bra have been a great support literally. I'm running Race for Life next Sunday and am looking forward to challenging myself in all those people.

I really need to look into shoes and bra...maybe after vacation, I havent looked into it but I heard it can be pricey

You have already been given most of the good tips but the comments above are the most important!

Shoes: You need to carry your body properly. Get properly fitted (ie. Gait analysis) at a running shop. DON'T just go and buy any old pair of shoes. 2 reasons for this... 1. If you wreck your knees, it will cost you more to get them sorted than the price of the shoes. 2. If you've just paid for expensive running shoes, are you going to waste the money by letting them sit in the corner?

Bra: You will feel much more comfortable if you aren't jiggling all over the place :)

I finished c25k nearly 2 months ago and have gone on to do the 10k extender (not without a few niggles mind you). I run my first 10km on 14th July and then another one a week later.

Believe me, if I can do it... anyone can if they want to enough!
  • betsij
    Options
    I'm in about the same place as you, progress-wise - will be doing W3D3 tomorrow.

Two tips:

1. Run as slow as you need to. It's time-based, not distance-based (until you get to the "Run 5k" at the end!)
    2. Listen to music as well as 'The Voice'. I find the "start walking" catches me by surprise when I have music on, but I'm waiting for it when I don't.

The music really helped!!
  • betsij
    Options
    Week 3 day 2
    DONE~~!!!
    :love:
  • betsij
    Options

You have already been given most of the good tips but the comments above are the most important!

Shoes: You need to carry your body properly. Get properly fitted (ie. Gait analysis) at a running shop. DON'T just go and buy any old pair of shoes. 2 reasons for this... 1. If you wreck your knees, it will cost you more to get them sorted than the price of the shoes. 2. If you've just paid for expensive running shoes, are you going to waste the money by letting them sit in the corner?

Bra: You will feel much more comfortable if you aren't jiggling all over the place :)

I finished c25k nearly 2 months ago and have gone on to do the 10k extender (not without a few niggles mind you). I run my first 10km on 14th July and then another one a week later.

Believe me, if I can do it... anyone can if they want to enough!

Wow! thats amazing! Good for you!
    I am gonna do the shoe thing soon!
  • alglenn2013
    alglenn2013 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Week 3 day 2
    DONE~~!!!
    :love:

Way to go!!!!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! You got this! What is it about the 3 minute mark that feels so good?!?!

Week 4 is kicking my a** right now, but I WILL DO THIS!!!

Heck yeah! Great attitude! I have week 5 day 3 I am getting nervous about on Friday. I'm doing a distance one instead of a timed one so i go from doing 3 half mile runs to a 2 mile run, but everyone's positive energy on here is really boosting up my own.

wow!! Thats great! Let us know how it goes, I wish it was morning so I can try it again! so pumped right now!
    the 3 minute mark feels amazing!!

Did it! Ran 2 miles. The first of which is my first ever mile ran. The second was my second. Oh God I thought I was going to die, but so proud of myself.
  • betsij
    Options
    Great job!!! You got this! What is it about the 3 minute mark that feels so good?!?!

Week 4 is kicking my a** right now, but I WILL DO THIS!!!

Heck yeah! Great attitude! I have week 5 day 3 I am getting nervous about on Friday. I'm doing a distance one instead of a timed one so i go from doing 3 half mile runs to a 2 mile run, but everyone's positive energy on here is really boosting up my own.

wow!! Thats great! Let us know how it goes, I wish it was morning so I can try it again! so pumped right now!
    the 3 minute mark feels amazing!!

Did it! Ran 2 miles. The first of which is my first ever mile ran. The second was my second. Oh God I thought I was going to die, but so proud of myself.

So very happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • betsij
    Options
    :laugh: :happy: Finished week 3 this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smooched:
  • Joreanasaurous
    Options

And this is the same woman who was nervous about week 2? That's great! Congrats..
  • RacheeeRay
    RacheeeRay Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Starting week 3 of Couch to 5K this afternoon after work. Excited but kind of nervous! I love the feeling of pushing through even when you think you cant make it, its such a victory at the end of the workout! Is anybody having luck with losing actual pounds since you started? Or noticing changes in your body?! Feel free to share! :)
  • betsij
    Options
    Starting week 3 of Couch to 5K this afternoon after work. Excited but kind of nervous! I love the feeling of pushing through even when you think you cant make it, its such a victory at the end of the workout! Is anybody having luck with losing actual pounds since you started? Or noticing changes in your body?! Feel free to share! :)

I can def see a change, I was at a stand still and I really believe this has helped...week 3 was a big step for me...let me know how it goes...excitited for you!!!
  • betsij
    Options

And this is the same woman who was nervous about week 2? That's great! Congrats..

I know (giggle) and now I am scared to death for week 4!! lmao
  • RacheeeRay
    RacheeeRay Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Well, completed my first day of Week 3 yesterday afternoon! I'm not going to lie I was getting nervous during those 3 minute spans, but i turned the music up and pressed on. I was determined not to slow down or have to stop...and that determination paid off. I was also pleasantly surprised that during the 90 second runs also in there, my breathing has controlled itself. I guess at this point, it really is training you without you even realizing it, not to get so out of breath. It's amazing! I do have to say the feeling when i was done with the workout was awesome! I never had felt better, which made it all worth it! Very excited to continue on this program and hope we can all stick together and finish it! :) Good luck to everybody!!
  • betsij
    Options
    Well, completed my first day of Week 3 yesterday afternoon! I'm not going to lie I was getting nervous during those 3 minute spans, but i turned the music up and pressed on. I was determined not to slow down or have to stop...and that determination paid off. I was also pleasantly surprised that during the 90 second runs also in there, my breathing has controlled itself. I guess at this point, it really is training you without you even realizing it, not to get so out of breath. It's amazing! I do have to say the feeling when i was done with the workout was awesome! I never had felt better, which made it all worth it! Very excited to continue on this program and hope we can all stick together and finish it! :) Good luck to everybody!!

Thats great news!! :smile:
  • alglenn2013
    alglenn2013 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Great Job!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Friday I will do Week 5 Day 3 it's a straight 20 minute run. I'm am so scared! I have never ran for that long before! I am sure I will have to stop at least once, but I am determined, and I will press on!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Options

Great Job!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Friday I will do Week 5 Day 3 it's a straight 20 minute run. I'm am so scared! I have never ran for that long before! I am sure I will have to stop at least once, but I am determined, and I will press on!

You can do it! I did w5d3 a few days ago and was so nervous, but if I can do it so can you. Just take it nice and slow and focus on your breathing. I had never in my life ran a mile and managed to run two. It's a total mental thing.

Make sure after you kick butt and do it you come back and brag to us!
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Congrats OP!!!!!!!!! I just did my w2d1 yesterday and I was scared of failing too, but I did it! Gonna have to rest tho because im hurting. I weigh 200 and thought I was too heavy until I found people much heavier doing it. I also watched a show called Extreme Weightloss where a lady over 300 lbs started running and ended up becoming a great runner. So....I said I want that! I love everyone's responses on this post. Very reassuring. Thanks for posting topic. And thanks to the responders :) Let's be runners!! I want to be in that club lol!!