Why not shrimps?

Options

Replies

• jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I've learned that shrimps are high in cholesterol. This is possibly one of the reasons why people try to avoid it.

Google dietary cholesterol. You might be surprised by what you find.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Could be the fact that shellfish are on the top 8 of most common food allergies. I know I don't even think of shrimp as food even though I've apparently grown out of my childhood allergy (haven't reacted to cross contaminations in over a year).

That may partially be due to the fact that I consoled myself with the thought they looked like bugs, when I couldn't have them, though. Nothing better to help a kid avoid an allergen than to gross them out.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For me, it's too expensive to eat it. I can get a "cheap" pound of shrimp for about $7, but I can get two whole fryer chickens or about 3 pounds of boneless breast for the same price. If I could, I would eat shrimp 2-3x a week.
  • TheShrinkingKween
    TheShrinkingKween Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I buy the bags of frozen shrimp at Walmart. They are cooked, de-veined, and no tails (or with tails if you prefer)! lol Because they are cooked, you can thaw them in cold water in about 5 minutes, open a jar of cocktail sauce, and there you have a yummy, healthy snack or small meal. I love shrimp, lobster, crab legs, but don't care so much for fish. The lobster and crab legs are a bit pricey, but I can afford a bag of shrimp every week or two!
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    They're SO high in sodium oh man! I love shrimp and used to eat it pretty much every day but I try to keep my sodium a bit lower nowadays.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I LOVE shrimp cocktails............Mexican shrimp cocktails are awesome!
    this is how I order when at a Mexican seafood restaurant...............

1 medium shrimp and octopus cocktail
    1/2 dozen raw oysters!
    1 Corona beer!

$20.00 dollars well spent!!! eat like a king!!!!:bigsmile:
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Decent shrimp is £18 a kg, more than my rump steak - I prefer rump steak :laugh:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    price. Lobster is also a great protein source...

As are crabs....

Also, OP...most people actually do mention seafood (fish) as a source of lean protein...I would think shrimp and what not would fall under that umbrella.

On that not, I am having shrimps and scallops tonight...love 'em.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to shrimps, but any other sea food is ok
    they are not that expensive, but then again I live in sea town
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure but maybe depending on where one lives, access to fresh seafood, and price.
    I eat shrimp and fish almost everyday. It's my main source of protein.

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • iamkass
    iamkass Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    High sodium, high cholesterol. That said, I eat them a lot!

Yup, I know people who avoid them because of cholesterol, but they have existing cholesterol problems. I do not have this issue, and I love them and buy frozen shrimp whenever they are on sale.. because yes, they are a little more expensive as a source of protein.
  • elpiper
    elpiper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i love shrimp! the price isn't that bad, but I've always leaved pretty local to the ocean (east and west coast) so that's not really a problem. I haven't eaten it as much lately, but thats because I have a bag of peeled,deveined tail on that take too long for me to cook for lunch (ie: really quickly) and not everyone in my house likes them as much as I do and I cook for three adults. So...shrimp on! I was thikning i'd have pizza for lunch today...BUMP that! Shrimp it is!
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    High sodium, high cholesterol. That said, I eat them a lot!
    ^^^^^This is so funny, but so true!! I love me some shrimp!!! I eat it almost daily. YUMMY!!!
  • wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My local supermarket has cooked cocktail shrimp at $6.70 a lb. Might be hitting it more often. Just open the container and eat. Cant beat that.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have shellfish allergies. When giving that advice, you don't know.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    My daughters and I love shrimp! But I don't eat it as often as chicken or turkey.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I eat ALLLL the seafoodz...one of the many benefits to living in Maine! I have friends who lobster so I get 'em right off the boat!
  • crell504
    crell504 Posts: 10
    Options
    Probably because it's high in cholesterol and sodium. But I think it would be ok if you don't have personal health problems that would make you watch these things.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    There ain't no shrimp hate here. Just shrimp price hatin'.

I'm tempted to do some blue crabbing though. That'd be free.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    BTW...the plural for shrimp is shrimp. With that said and who really cares, I grew up on a coastal area and ate fresh shrimp often. Now living this far inland...it's sorta OK and rather expensive. Also, at my age...the sodium, cholesterol comment applies. However, when back on the coast, I eat em boiled and chilled...

But I do like short people.

7fc3d9a1007c3800_hobbit.preview.jpeg