I'm new, and this is so hard!

Options
Monday was my first day. I decided to start on the 1st of the month thinking it would be easier to track since it also fell on a Monday this month instead of in the middle of the week. I'm having a VERY hard time keeping myself on track! I have no will power to deprive myself of all the crap I was eating that tastes so good but that isn't good for me. I decided a big part of my "diet" was going to be starting by not eating McDonald's EVERY morning for breakfast......I made it Monday and Tuesday but had to have it today. I'm sore from the exercise and depressed by my lack of will power. When I get depressed, I want to eat more stuff that is even worse for me, like chocolate in mass quantities!......I just don't know what to do to make myself not eat the things I want.

Replies

• barbz2119
    barbz2119 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've never had any luck with diets or diet clubs and decided to give MFP a go about two months ago and its working for me the lbs are coming off. Give it a chance one McD breakfast is not the end of your efforts.
    Log everything you eat in, a few days of seeing in black and white in front of you what you are putting inside of yourself might shock you into being stronger. Does that McDonalds breakfast make you feel as good as getting on to the scales and seeing the lbs disappearing and your clothes feeling looser? I bet not.
    I am eating what I want, just not eating as much. If I want ice cream I eat it, but maybe only 1/4 cup instead of 2 cups. Pizza, I eat it, but go for a lower calorie one, and cut back a little bit the rest of the day. If I've had a high calorie day, I make something low calorie for the evening.
    Dont be so hard on yourself you are only 3 days in. Keep at it and add me as a friend if you want, and I'll try and keep you on track and support you as much as I can.

barb
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you're not depressed. you are probably suffering from withdrawl from the fast food, and your body wants it.

give it push ups instead.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    It's hard to know what to do without data. I would recommend just eating "normally" (for you) for a couple days and logging it. Doesnt matter if it's 1000 or 10,000 calories .. just log it accurately. After a few days, you can look at your logs and start fine-tuning, a little bit at a time.

if you try to do everything at once, it's going to be far more difficult to stay in it for the long haul than refining your diet a little bit at a time.

Gather Data - Analyze data - Make Adjustments - Repeat.
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I agree with Barb, just below you. You can't let yourself be side tracked by one bad food decision, or even one bad day. Just pick up your healthy eating again with the next meal! It is helpful to have some hard, concrete goals set for yourself ( you can put these into MFP on your personal settings page). Then remember those goals each time you have a tough food decision in front of you. Also, like Barb stated, log ALL of your food, even on your bad days. Seeing those numbers will REALLY, REALLY help to stop you from making the bad food decisions.

DON'T GIVE UP! You can totally do this!
  • PeauxPeaux
    PeauxPeaux Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Here are things that have worked for me

1) Save calories up all day for the thing you want most. Have it at the end of the day. WHen you want to eat transgressive bad foods all day, remind yourself the treat is there and you will get it at 7 pm or whenever.

2) BE FULL. Eat a lot of food. You can eat a lot more fruits and vegetables than chips. Put fat on your vegetables to make them savory and the fullness will last longer -- Buttered squash or green beans in Buitoni reduced fat pesto are not a lot of calories, and the pesto or butter makes them wonderful. Add 4 ounces fo lean protein and you will stay full a long time.

3) Drink a crap ton of water. Have a water cup with you alla time and drink it. Keeps you full and makes your skin pretty because you are nicely hydrated.

3) Creep on other people's diaries. A huge part of getting HWO TO EAT AND LOSE WEIGHT through my head was to look at real people who were succeeding and see that they DID blow it -- go WAY over on tequila or cake -- and then see them get back on the horse immediately, next meal, not even next day but immediately, and seeing their success over time. Like I had always HEARD about YOU CAN HAVE TREATS AND STILL LOSE WEIGHT but to look at what actual successful peopel were doign and emulate it was VERY helpful.

I hope this helps!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    You're not mentally ready for this journey right now. You have to get your head straightened out first. Do the exercise in this blog...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/H_Factor/view/recipe-for-a-will-power-pill-for-help-with-the-mental-part-of-the-journey-155978
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Are you planning meals for yourself? If McDonalds breakfast is a habit, then you need to replace it with something else…something healthier! Don’t look at it as ‘depriving yourself’ of something great, but instead, realize that you could be giving your body something BETTER instead..

Willpower and want go hand in hand. You have to WANT to lose weight, feel better and be healthier more than you WANT the few minutes of pleasure from eating crappy food (which is going to lead to guilt and feeling bad). If you can stick it out till you see some results, it WILL get easier (and your cravings will subside too)

There’s nothing wrong with having something you love here and there, but if you’re just 3 days in and already feel like giving up, maybe you need to step back and reevaluate how badly you really want to make a change….

Hang in there..give this a fair shot..you can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • Via88
    Via88 Posts: 46
    Options
    It's definitely hard but you can do it! Just distract yourself when you want something that you know isn't good for you. Try remembering all of the reasons that you want to get in shape and why you are doing this in the first place. You aren't going to be perfect everyday, but when you have those moments when you do bad just get back up and start over! I struggle a lot with eating out because of my schedule and sometimes I do crave the bad foods. But even when you eat out you can try to pick something that isn't so bad for you. Good luck and hang in there :)
  • bryionak
    bryionak Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yes, getting started is the hardest part. Also what is hard for me is when I take a break and am on vacation or away for a couple days, getting started again is hard.

Make a commitment to log as accurately as possible for 2 weeks. Seeing it in front of you will help you come up with a plan that will work for you.

I am not an expert but what I believe is if you have a decent amount to lose don't worry as much about the macros and just focus on the calories. If you need some treats to get you through, just make room for them. I have made it halfway to my goal and really am not eating all that great (clif bars and fiber one bars, eat out once or twice a week). As I get closer to my goal weight I know I am going to have to do better to continue to lose.

If you are going to have a treat, log it ahead of time and build the rest of your days eating around that. If you go over some days, don't get discouraged. Stick with it. You can do it.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    You're right, the beginning is the hardest part. It will get easier as it becomes habit. Don't throw in the towel if you have slip ups now and again - that's to be expected, especially in the beginning. Just don't let the slip ups become habit and you'll be okay.

Hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I agree with making small changes. Don't think of it as a diet, meaning sometime it will end. That never works for me, it always comes back when I am done with the diet. I am just trying to make healthier choices that I can live with. I know some people won't agree with me, but I eat fast food, but make it work into my calories (at least most of the time, lol) I am not giving up anything that I know I won't give up for life. But I do track EVERYTHING, even if it is not the healthiest or best calorie choice, and even on days when I am way over. And I am losing slowly.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    It's hard to know what to do without data. I would recommend just eating "normally" (for you) for a couple days and logging it. Doesnt matter if it's 1000 or 10,000 calories .. just log it accurately. After a few days, you can look at your logs and start fine-tuning, a little bit at a time.

if you try to do everything at once, it's going to be far more difficult to stay in it for the long haul than refining your diet a little bit at a time.

Totally agree. It isn't about drastic change all at once. It is about reorganizing your life around better decisions....and those decisions can only happen one day at a time.
  • AJinBirmingham
    Options

I agree! Small changes that you can live with are the key to long term success.

After my 2nd son was born, I tipped the scales at almost 200lbs! I started with ADDING five servings of vegetables and fruit to my diet for a week (with no goal for removing any other food) and tracking, and walking to the end of the road and back (about five minutes.)

As I added the bulky fruit and veg, some of the junk food fell out of my diet on its own. Once I got out of the house to walk to the end of the road, I didn't usually stop before at least half an hour . . . "may as well keep going" mindset.

It takes a lot of patience, but it's soooo worth it. I've been at/near my goal weight for a few years now. I'm strong, fit, healthy and still always improving.

NO WAY could I lose 70lbs - but I lost 5lbs . . . 12 times.

I wish you every success!
  • refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Nothing worth having in life ever comes easy. If you cannot keep yourself from over eating every day and make excuses, you obviously don't want this bad enough.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    1) Get rid of all the junk food that's in your house. Throw it all away. If the temptation isn't there, you can't give in. Eventually, you will be able to say "no" with it staring you in the face... baby steps.
    2) Don't let yourself eat out. Get the stuff to make your favorite breakfast sandwich at home... it'll have probably half the calories/fat/sodium as the mcdonalds version.
    3) Find a workout that you like. Otherwise... you will fail. If you don't like "working out" at the gym or at home... find a class to take... or dance dvds... or join a club that has a swimming pool. It has to be fun or you will not do it the long haul.
    4) Stop thinking that you have to deprive yourself of everything you like. You don't. You can have whatever you want... in MODERATION. I've eaten potato chips nearly every day this week so far.... but I'm working out and I fit it into my macros everyday. Is it healthy to eat potato chips every day? No. This is a particularly bad week for me lol (usually I don't have them in the house... see how that works). But... I wanted them so I ate them...but I made good choices for every other meal.

You're human... sometimes you make bad choices... the trick is to limit quantities...and to MOVE MORE. Good luck... feel free to add me if you need some moral support :) YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

2) Don't let yourself eat out. Get the stuff to make your favorite breakfast sandwich at home... it'll have probably half the calories/fat/sodium as the mcdonalds version.

Home made (Thomas original English Muffin, Large egg, Land O Lakes white american, Jones Farm Canadian Bacon)

Cal: 290
    Fat: 14
    Carb: 26
    Pro: 18
    Sod: 713

Original Egg Mc Muffin:

Cal: 300
    Fat: 12
    Carb: 29
    Pro: 18
    Sod: 840

The differences are negligible. Stop for that Egg McMuffin once or twice a week if it helps keep you sane.

ETA: Skip the hash browns and the OJ, though. Them's the real killers ...
  • jingles0231
    jingles0231 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started out thinking like you, then I started reading the nutritional value (especially sodium) and that kinda grossed me out. So I decided to get more serious. I have lost 62 lbs since January. Breakfast sandwiches?? Go on Pinterest.com for recipes. Make your own egg mcmuffins, breakfast burritos, etc, wrap and freeze them. You know what is in them and it's cheaper. The money you save on fast food, put it aside and let it build up. You will be surprised how much you acquire. Then go by something for yourself. That's a nice reward. Don't deprive yourself of something. It feels like punishment. Instead of a 12" pizza, go for the personal pan size. Pinterest has recipes for homemade ice cream w/o using an ice cream maker. For instance: 1 banana, 1 cup strawberries (frozen or fresh), a couple splashes of milk (almond, reg,, skim whatever) put into blender or processor, whip up and it's delicious. Hang around, we are here to help and support each other.
  • fat2fit72014
    Options
    I was told recently that it takes 26 days to change. You have to do the same thing 26 days in a row and it'll become easier and more natural. Just keep it up. Everyone slips up in the beginning. You'll do great! Don't be so hard on yourself either you've got plenty of time and were here to help you! Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Instead of depriving yourself of the foods you enjoy, start adding healthier options into your day. Eat less of the high calorie stuff less often. It helps to log EVERYTHING you eat, so then you can see where your calories go. Some things that you think of as "bad" might not be so bad after all. I like chocolate too, and found that the really good dark chocolate satisfies me in smaller quantities. I like to eat at Denny's, and now limit it to one night a week. After a couple months I started cutting my meal there and taking 30-50% of it home (which makes my son very happy because he gets to eat the leftovers the next day, lol). I like McDonald's cookies and Oreos, so at first I just ate smaller portions of them. Now that my body is used to healthier eating, I don't crave that stuff as much. Take baby steps and don't beat yourself up about indulging. Just log it and move on.
  • enaidlorac
    Options
    I agree "this is so hard." I too, began on July 1st and am learning so much by reading posts and adhering (as hard as that may be) to the suggestions here. It will get better. I began working my body two weeks ago and the aches almost did me in, but as one person posted "keep your eye on your goal" saved me. The pain will ease up another friend told me and he was right! I am at the point now that I actually enjoy my own time exercising.
    I recommend keeping a good eye on calorie intake and add those extras (chocolate for me) when you know you are well within your limit for the day.
    I wish you all the best in your journey to a healthier you. Please don't be too hard on yourself, you can only do the best you can and go on from there.