Exercise and Periods. How do you handle?

Options
2»

Replies

• mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i used to leak through a super tampon in a 30 minute walk. or in just 30 minutes in a regular day. like it was insane. not to mention the cramps. therefore i went on birth control and skip my period totally with pills :) that was my solution to the sucky period thing.
  • ldilone13354
    ldilone13354 Posts: 125
    Options
    I take Tylenol and workout.

It make the cramps better. You should try it

Actually no nothing works, i have to take 8 pills for the pain to be gone but doesn't make a difference because I'm bloated and in pain still feeling nausea.
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Working out actually makes my cramps feel SO MUCH better. It sucks getting up and dressed... and mentally prepared. But once you're done you will feel amazing. Take midol and give it a shot.

Ditto ^^^

However my period isn't that intense..
  • ldilone13354
    Options
    I have endometriosis and know what you mean by painful periods. I've had surgery to remove some of the scarring and also did a round of lupron. Excercise (mild) does help with the cramps --it's mind over matter to make yourself do it, though. Also, for those with endo/PCOS - look into Vitex (aka: Chaste Berry) supplements -- that did the best thing for me to regulate my periods and help with some of those symptoms and it's over the counter and very inexpensive ($6-$7 for a 60 day supply). Might give it a try! Also, cutting out wheat/sugar can help a lot! Sorry you are suffering.

I'll give it a try but YES IT'S SOO BAD. I have to take 8 pills for the pain to be gone but even if its gone I have nausea, cold sweats, I'm dizzy and the hormones OMG TO DIE FOR. I have pain for 6 days. I have to wear two pads, that's how bad it is.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    For me it does help with making the cramps and mood less intense but, on my first day i dont usually work out. Bleeding heavy and lifting just exhausts me to a point that i cant usually finish my workout. So i will take it as a rest day. If i am losing alot of blood i really dont need to stress my body further.
  • ldilone13354
    Options
    Working out actually makes my cramps feel SO MUCH better. It sucks getting up and dressed... and mentally prepared. But once you're done you will feel amazing. Take midol and give it a shot.

Ditto ^^^

However my period isn't that intense..

I've tried working out on my period and its different. If I work out my cramps get worse, I get Nashua and I end up throwing up passing out.
  • ldilone13354
    Options
    i used to leak through a super tampon in a 30 minute walk. or in just 30 minutes in a regular day. like it was insane. not to mention the cramps. therefore i went on birth control and skip my period totally with pills :) that was my solution to the sucky period thing.

My mom doesn't want me on it. :(
  • ldilone13354
    Options

Not for me. I have to take 8 pills for the pain to be gone. I worked out on my period and I ended up throwing up, passing out.
  • ldilone13354
    Options
    At the risk of sounding like a tampon commercial, I did Warrior Dash during my period. My first 10k, too. It's going to keep coming. You can't put your life on hold every month.

If it's *that bad* that it immobilizes you for days, see a doctor.

I've been to the doctor before with my mother but she doesn't want me on the pill. I'm also anemic which is why I can't workout while on it.
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Mine are usually not an issue. But every once in a while, I have one that is horrid. It feels as though my insides might fall out, it's heavy and constant, the cramping makes me want to lay in bed in a fetal position. It is bad - and I can tolerate pain, I gave birth naturally, LOL. This happened to me in May. The first 2 days, I took off. I could barely stand upright. On the third day, I did get moving and it did feel much better when I was done. But periods like that are exhausting, both physically and mentally. At least they are for me. Do what you feel you can handle. Perhaps a lighter version of your usual workout.
  • marcimlarson
    Options
    i take ibprofen it works best for me as a muscle relaxer, and i go for as long a walk outside in my neighborhood as i can stand, usually longer than 30 minutes. i dont push myself hard when i dont feel like my normal self. after that i will take a bath with epsom salts to further relax the muscles, and soak for a long time reading a book. Hope this suggestion helps!
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I workout regardless!
  • ldilone13354
    Options
    Mine are usually not an issue. But every once in a while, I have one that is horrid. It feels as though my insides might fall out, it's heavy and constant, the cramping makes me want to lay in bed in a fetal position. It is bad - and I can tolerate pain, I gave birth naturally, LOL. This happened to me in May. The first 2 days, I took off. I could barely stand upright. On the third day, I did get moving and it did feel much better when I was done. But periods like that are exhausting, both physically and mentally. At least they are for me. Do what you feel you can handle. Perhaps a lighter version of your usual workout.

Ugh it sucks sometimes being a girl hahaha. I'll see though because I can't move. I have to take 8 pills for mine because the pain won't go away and even after 8 pills it still won't go away. The cramps are so bad. I spend my time crying and screaming to myself lol. I'm also anemic and my doctor has told my mother to put me on BC but she doesn't want to which sucks for me. Last time I worked out on my period I threw up and passed out.
  • Ophelia111
    Ophelia111 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with this issue. I have really bad PMS and I am usually in a lot of pain for the first two-three days. I choose to not force myself to exercise on those days. I hate the miserable feeling and I am just trying to go about the rest of my life the best way I can.
    I don't feel guilty about the lack of exercise on those days (except for long walking, which I do every day). As soon as it' over, I happily resume my workout routine.