Starting the 5:2 diet tomorrow - help!

Options
13»

Replies

• CalMcGuire
    CalMcGuire Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do tend to eat fairly healthily in that I'm vegetarian (but eat fish - preferably fish caught by my partner or his friends rather than shop bought but I do occasionally buy fish and feel a bit guilty!). We are lucky that we live by the sea and some good fishing rivers/lakes.

Having two boys meant that there are more crisps etc. around (I'm not bothered by chocolate or biscuits fortunately!) and the occasional takeaway, wch became more often as my partner and I were working more (I was working 7 days a week for a year wch was not healthy in itself). I have now cut back on work, in fact, I work from home, so I can spend a bit of time thinking about what I'm eating and preparing it etc. It is in fact a relief to focus on food and looking after myself (and my family) and I've already noticed a change in my attitude to food - for the better! - instead of rushing it, seeing it just as fuel etc. though I've always enjoyed cooking when I have the time.

So, I am trying the 5:2 and am using MFP to be more aware of the calories I'm eating, and the exercise I'm doing, on the other 5 days, aiming to stick around my TDEE and if I lose weight all to the good but I'm not really that bothered about that because I feel pretty healthy generally. It would be a bonus and would set me up as I get older (currently 42).

Thank you for all your comments - I am reading them all and taking them in :-)
  • jenniferharrisricard
    Options
    I don't think that is too healthy. You should try something along the lines of a lifestyle change rather than a quick change. Add better nutrition to your diet and drink 8-10 glasses of water a day. Rather than staving yourself for a day. You should never eat less than 1200 calories a day for woman and 1600 calories for men (Jillian Michaels) Good luck in whatever you decide
  • Cherry_T
    Cherry_T Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I`m not exactly a fan of this diet. If you want my opinion, you should look into eating for energy
    http://choppysreviews.com/eating-for-energy/
  • N17com
    N17com Posts: 3
    Options
    To me, I can understand that you don't want to count your calories every day, but to me being on a diet is a short fix and doesn't help with understanding food better. For example, I bought a kitchen scales and couldn't believe how small a 30g portion of cereal was. I kind of realise where i was over eating. I have now been using my fitness pal for 9 weeks and I have lost 19 pounds. I have 21 pounds to go until i am at my ideal weight.

Counting calories really ain't that bad, because when you have the my fitness pal app on your phone it becomes so easy and the previous food entries are saves, which shortens the time it takes. Using my fitness pal, doesn't make you feel like your on a diet, so it enables you to still eat the foods you want. I think the best thing about it is that you can link other exercise apps with my fitness pal, and i have now started to use it when I'm walking, to count the calories i have burnt.

But im sure you know what the app offers, but still i would say give the app a go, you have nothing to lose cause it free.
    Plus usually doing a diet means you have to buy foods of low calories, which half the time are really pricey. Dont get me wrong I've tried almost every diet, meat diet, cambridge diet, cayenne pepper diet, Atkins diet, cabbage diet, and let me tell you the minute i stopped those diets, i ballooned in size, cause i never learnt portion size or limitations and i believe my fitness pal teaches you limitations. My advise is get the app on your phone and try it out.

Cause when i was on the cambridge diet, i could only eat 500 calories in the day and i was starving all day every day. I would advise if your an active person, never try a diet that only has 500 calories a day, not worth the health problems. And don't get me started on weight watchers, i lost 6 pounds in 5 weeks, soon as i stopped i ballooned 10 pounds heavier. The problem with WW is that you still don't really learn portion size because you focus more on points and how much you can have, then you have to buy WW calculators to convert calories into points. My fitness pal makes it so easy because on your phone you can just scan items barcode like drinks and add it so quickly to your food diary. You can also add friends and motivate each other and give your own advise to each other. I use it with my mother in law, i think adding friends, enables you to be completely honest with where your going wrong.

Anyways i think i've ranted on enough, i have no reason to sell the app to you, all i know is i lose weight every week, and the app is almost 100 percent right about my estimated weight lose every week and when i add exercise i lose even more. Its definitely been my miracle for weight lose. I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do. Please remember losing weight should be done in a healthy way and should be a life style change instead of a quick fix because you will see you will never say at the right weight and will have to always starve yourself.
  • maryd4love
    maryd4love Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I agree the point of the 5:2 is you do NOT count calories on the 5 days. In saying that, you do not need to a 2 large pizzas and a cake during those 5 days. That is why I think this diet is going to work for me.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CalMcGuire
    CalMcGuire Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do indeed use the MFP app and intend to do the 5:2 for a period of time to lose weight for my upcoming wedding and then reduce my calorie intake on a daily basis (using MFP as suggested). It certainly makes you aware of portion size and which foods are nutritious, although I've always had a pretty healthy diet, I just had a few 'baddies', such as bread, cheese, pasta (and too much coffee and alcohol!) and I've already changed my attitude to those. I've always drunk plenty of water and am always telling my pupils to do so as the brain requires 2 litres of water a day to function at it's best. Thanks for the advice :-)
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of trying this. My problem is that I lift heavy weights 3x a week. I know I need to fuel my workouts. The day after my workout probably needs to be the light calorie day but I am STARVING from the previous day's workout! LOL Summer means boats, seadoos and rum punch on the weekend so I have got to get some control during the week!!
  • AJLComputers
    Options
    I realise this is an old thread but having found it through google I just wanted to say that there are some terribly negative comments in reply to the OP.

I appreciate what people are saying about doing a fad diet and then stopping means you'll probably gain weight once you stop and I can agree from personal experience that this does happen but 5:2 can easily be changed to 6:1 once you reach your goal weight and that should maintain. If it works to lose weight then why are people discouraging the OP from trying?

Simply telling someone to calorie count is not the answer, I tried calorie counting and found it horrible, I eat out a lot with friends and it's almost impossible to work out how many calories are in restaurant meals, do I have to take my scales to the restaurant and weigh everything? Do I have to ask the chef if things are cooked in butter or oil or if there's anything in there that might add a lot of calories?

Someone also said "ask yourself if you're going to do this for the rest of your life and if the answer is no then don't start" That applies to calorie counting for me. I can barely count calories for a week before I forget to add something to the diary or have a meal that I have no way of knowing how many calories are in it, then I get disheartened and eventually give up.

With the 5:2 lifestyle I know I can go out and have a nice meal, I can enjoy a takeaway and I can let others cook for me without worrying about what they're cooking and in exchange I just have to have a couple of days where I don't eat much, that works for me and has worked for many others too so if anyone's reading this thread and has been put off then don't be. If you think it'll work for your lifestyle and you can keep it up then why not try it, if you don't lose weight or find you can't stick to it then it's not for you but you don't know till you try.
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    ^ What you said.
  • Dodorap
    Dodorap Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started my 5:2 diet on 22nd April with a fast and then another fast 24th yesterday and I jumped on the scale this morning and my weight has dropped from 76.7kg to 72.1kg which is 4.6kg down about 10.2lbs. I'm so excited because it was my first time to try it after buying the book on the eve of Good Friday. I'm so motivated to keep doing it, I can't wanit for my next fast which will this time be next Monday. Yippeee!