do you consider this process to be healthy for your kids?

Options
124»

Replies

• Moosycakes
    Moosycakes Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but one day I will, and I never want to focus on weight or anything around them.

Eating healthy as a family is great, but I believe that the focus should be on health, not weight loss when children are involved. I believe that if you eat healthily and sensibly, you'll stay at a healthy weight :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    wow... was aspartame really compared to cocaine???
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Not really sure how to answer. Here is why: my son 17 months and I try to not say anything about my weight around him because he is still growing (he had a hard time gaining weight for a while) and I don't want him to feel guilty. He sees me weigh things out, he sees me log (which he screams and throws a tantrum), and hears me say "I can't have this today." Now I am sure as he gets older and starts to remember things I am sure he will ask.

Now as far as the soda thing, I'm 24 and have had since I was a baby (literally om diluted it down into a bottle and had me drink it because I was a colicky baby and no medicine ever worked) and I am still alive. I refuses to give it to my son.

The one thing I get a lot of crap for is one of my stances. Which is that I don't want for my kiddo to follow in my footsteps. I don't want for him to ever have to struggle to graduate from college, or for him to have to go through hell like I did and think that you always have to be better to prove yourself. I want for him to be who he is and be confident. Not like me whom has always been told "you are not good enough, you will always be a screw up, you won't make anything of yourself." and still can't seem to find positives.

Also ETA: My mom was always on me about my weight and wished that I looked like a cheerleader or dancer. and would tell me that i needed to lose so a guy would want me.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    My children are young adults who are still living at home.

My weight loss and new attention to what I eat along with my exercise routine have absolutely been a positive influence.

Both my children have lost a serious amount of weight and now have active lives that includes regular exercise.

Just the removal of soft drinks from our house made a world of difference in our lives.

I a so glad that my change is rubbing off on my children and providing them with the opportunity to build healthy, positive life style habits.
  • syrcaid
    syrcaid Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hmm, when I was younger, my mother went through many years of dieting--and since she was the main source of food, it meant everyone had to eat what she prepared. She wouldn't allow any real sodas or treats, everything was a diet meal. If you were eating something "bad" around her, you would hear about it. She would also critique my weight.

I can honestly say, that as I gained more freedom(got some money, got a car) that I really, really enjoyed going to buy those "treat" items because they were so "forbidden". It was like a whole world opened up. So, I can say that I do think it affected me some.

I don't have any children yet, so I'm not sure how I will handle this myself.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i hope to raise my kids in a similar way that my parents raised me.

i gained weight post college when i stopped being as active and started playing a lot of xbox.

growing up, we only had take out on fridays, and it was usually pizza. it was the one night a week my brother and i were allowed soda. but it's not like we were crying for soda the rest of the time. we just knew that it was a special occasion drink.

before dinner every night my mom would cut up a carrot for each of us.

at dinner, a scoop or two of salad was put on our plate every night. we had to finish it if we wanted seconds. my parents also controlled our portions, so we didn't go nuts.

fast food like mcdonalds or burger king was reserved for other special occasions, like half days from school or whatever.

mom packed out lunches every day, and we had breakfast at home everyday.

we were always in sports. soccer, swimming, hockey. we always rode our bikes or skateboards.

we weren't chunky kids. we got a little heavier when we went of on our own, and fell into the cycle of not exercising and eating a little too much. but we got back on track with the example my parents gave us.