Need to lose 100 lbs. or more? Lets start a group!

Options

Replies

• lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    I'm a coffee drinker and in the morning, I drink it black and heaven help those who deal with me b4 I get my 1st cup in!! lol!! If I have a cup after dinner, I treat it like a dessert. I might add a pouch of 25 calorie diet cocoa to it or a flavored creamer. I make sure I have it after dinner dishes are put away and I can snuggle into a chair and really appreciate the warmth, richness, and sweetness of that cup. The International Coffee people had the right idea! Relax and enjoy it!
  • reneeb82
    reneeb82 Posts: 32
    Options
    Good evening everyone. Beautiful day today.
    How did everyone do? I ate well and exercsed. I hope you all did too.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I just cannot handle plain black coffee. I got to have it sweet and creamy.

My favorite creamer is from International. The sugar free hazlenut is amazing! I stay away from coffeemate and the generic creamers because they all have high fructose corn syrup in them. International is the only one I've found that doesn't have that in them. They have several flavors that are sugar free, but even the other flavors are safe if you just measure the serving out.

I love coffee house coffee, too. I usually go for a hot or iced mocha with skim milk, no whipped cream. I have tried the sugar-free kind many times, but it never agrees with me. I always get stomach cramps after I drink them. I don't know what they use at the coffee houses for their sugar-free mix, but I can't drink it. But even a 20 oz. iced mocha there--skim--no whip--is 170 calories, and I only buy about one per week.
  • kappyblu
    Options
    Speaking of bad stuff in foods at our grocery stores....why is it that the health gurus, the calorie police, the "obesity task force" never come down on Pillsbury????? :mad:

Have you ever read the cans of biscuits and cinnamon roles from Pillsbury? OMG--they are loaded with trans fat!!! Don't get me wrong, I looooooove the way Pillsbury everything tastes, but I started reading the cans and I don't buy them anymore. When I think about all the Grands biscuits, cinnamon rolls, pie crusts, toaster strudels, cookies, etc I have bought from them, I just can't stand it. Have you noticed that at a grocery store, there typically are two choices when it comes to brands of those canned pastries: Pillsbury and the store brand. Most store brands also have trans fat in them. Now, the little cans of Great Value biscuits (10 ct) at Wal-Mart don't have trans fat in them. You know those little four pack of cans.

It makes me mad because of all the other brands that have taken a beating in the media, and those Pillsbury cans (and toaster strudels) just sit there looking innocent and pretty in the store. I walk right past them at the grocery store, I don't even look anymore. Maybe someday, the folks at Pillsbury WAKE UP and revamp their recipes and offer healthier options. I hope so. I need to write a letter to Pillsbury. lol Ok, I'll get off my soapbox, too. Sorry, but it's been bugging me for a while now. :smile:
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    Hey, Kappy, thanks for passing along that info about WalMart biscuits not having the transfat. I don't buy refrigerated biscuits too often, but have some old favorite "every now and then" recipes that call for them, and I'd just stopped buying them because of the trans fat.

And since we're calling out food manufacturers, don't you find it odd that yogurt started out being a health food and now you almost can't find yogurt with no high fructose corn syrup? Especially the nonfat ones that come in all the neat flavors! And they advertise how people are losing all this weight with these yogurts.... grrr. I know there's a campaign out now to make it seem like all sweeteners are the same, but high fructose corn syrup is particularly bad once it gets into the system. It interferes with the body's communication system, makes you feel like you're still hungry even though you just ate... which of course is good for food manufacturers... sigh.

Some days I think I should just buy myself a little farm and never eat any food that I haven't produced myself... just kidding, but really, it's so hard to trust food sources these days.
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I think I have 103lbs to still lose so I'm in the same boat :)
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    Anyone in this group can feel free to add me as a MFP :)

I have about 130lbs to lose!
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    Look at those cutie little kidlets you girls have! Ohhhhh, I miss those days!
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Thanks KappyBlu for posting the facts about Pillsbury. I hope a lot of us write them and complain about all the trans fats in their products. I will write a letter to them asap. Those sneaky dingos.....
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    I've never been a fan of canned biscuits, but Heart Smart Bisquik has no trans fat and it makes some of the best drop bisbuits ever! I just add water (they recommend milk) mix it and drop on a cookie sheet. Just that simple. It's also great for other stuff, too. If you use canned biscuits for dumplings, try this instead, it is great.
  • kappyblu
    Options
    Thanks lilac for posting about the biscuit mix. I make my own biscuits from scratch now, but they have about 120 calories in each one. I will check out that mix as a healthier option. I will save my homemade biscuits as a once in a while treat.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,013 Member
    Options
    hi ladies,
    Hope everyone had a good week. I am looking forward to the weekend. Just weighed in and lost another pound YEAH........
  • reneeb82
    reneeb82 Posts: 32
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss, themommie
  • KrisRain
    Options
    Count me in! Iam new and would love weight loss buddies...Friend me! :D
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    WELL IT'S SATURDAY! (or as cat owners know, its CATURDAY :wink: )
    Weigh in for me is Sunday mornings. Can't wait to see if I've lost another pound. Yesterday was tough in the afternoon, while driving I witnessed a horrible car accident where the car went off the interstate and rolled downhill into the median, landing on its roof. Dust was still rising from the impact when I drove by and I could hear the ambulances coming. It just sickened me, and I prayed no one was hurt. But, when I got home, I suppose I stressed out a little, because I ate and ate and ate. :frown: Luckily I only went 350 cal. over my daily limit, since I only have healthy food at home, and I ate small servings.
    Anxiety is an emotion I suppose we all live with. I've tried deep breathing and even anti-anxiety meds, which help a little. But food really is powerful. Someone suggested stopping those thoughts about eating by thinking and picturing yourself as a thinner person and all the great things you can do (such as walk a really long way) when your thinner. If I'd have remembered this sooner, perhaps I would have stopped my binge eating.
    So I thought I'd reiterate that way of thinking for anyone else like me who needs to over-eat when they are anxious.
    :flowerforyou:
  • krklstephi
    krklstephi Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Happy Caturday! Last night was my son's first night away from me in over 3 years, and his very first sleep over with a friend. Luckily, it was a neighbor so he was not too far away, but I was stressed all night. My son sleep walks and has nightmares. I had to get sensors on the doors because he will wander outside while sleepwalking. So, I ate and ate and ate. Im scared to weigh in Tuesday, but either way, I will be ok. My son did great and had a blast, so the next time he is at a sleep over I will be ok. Lots to do today, have a great day!
  • ladiluvbug83
    ladiluvbug83 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hey, count me in I have 104 pounds to go. I have been looking for friend that are going through the same thing. It is different when you have only 20 pounds to lose. Yes any amount can be tough but i have to lose a normal teenager mad: But, I did this to me :sad: I will have to be the one to let the Skinny girl out to play :smokin: I plan on being Fabulous at forty. I have already spent to much time being fat. my teens, twenties, thirties. I had lapband surgery on 10/05/09 and at my highest was 310. I'm now 259 by doctors scales and look forward to losing more everyday. I want run a 5K and be around a long time for my kids. If any of you want me to help motivate you please feel free to add me as your friend. :wink: :happy: :glasses:
  • ellennow
    ellennow Posts: 568
    Options
    Mary and King congrads on the tremendous weight loss!:drinker: You both are an inspiration to me! I also appreciate all the information everyone shares it is a wealth of knowledge and assist me greatly!

Robin it sounds like new eating habits are already in place. Good for you! Another inspiration to me!

Hope all are having a great weekend.

Ellen
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    Hi all, how's the weekend going?

{{{{{{Ellen}}}}}} How horrible it must have been to witness that accident. It's amazing car accidents don't happen way more often, but still, when they do, it's a horrible shock and can make you want to just not drive anymore, especially on the freeway. Did you ever find out if anyone was injured, or....?

Stephanie, that's so great that your son did well on the overnight! I can sure understand the worry, though.

My weekend's going okay, not much going on. I'm almost done with week one and still staying on track... although I get a pretty good amount of calories with the 1-pound-a-week goal, and it's not that hard. I'm sure as my weight goes down it'll be more challenging.

I've noticed as I track my food that I rarely eat an actual meal, unless it's a frozen dinner. I don't have a family to cook for, just myself, and sometimes my daughter when she's home. I want to try some new recipes, so I was thinking I might try one new simple healthy recipe or meal idea each week and share it with you all, starting this next week. If anybody else wants to do that, too, we could have some fun with that and help each other out with ideas.

Also, I'm not really the leader of this group so it's not my place, but was thinking it might be kind of nice to have one day a week where we share how much we lost the previous week, and how we did overall? Nobody would have to give their actual weight, I just mean like, "I lost 1 pound last week!" (which I hope I will actually be able to say on Monday!).

Becky
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    Just wanted to comment a little more on what you said, Ellen. You are so right, food is VERY powerful. It has always been my "drug of choice" when it comes to wanting to diffuse stress in my life or fill some kind of emotional void. And in a way it's nice that we have something like food that helps to calm and satisfy us without altering our state of consciousness too much (well, other than that lovely increase in serotonin we get from eating carbs). I for one will never be one of those "food is just fuel" kind of people. Food is comforting and familiar and sensual, and some people are more sensitive to that than others. We just have to be mindful of the degree to which we let ourselves be dependent on food for that reason.

I have a recommendation. Just recently... just this last week... I started listening to a deep relaxation tape, and it is REALLY helping me to feel calm and positive. I don't want anyone to think this is advertising, because it's not, just sharing here. I got this book called "I Can Make You Thin" by Paul McKenna (hence, my choice of username)... got the new color 2010 version on Amazon and it comes with both a DVD and a CD that is just amazing. It's kind of hypnosis, I guess... but soooooooo soothing. I'm usually so relaxed that I don't even remember everything he talks about, but he helps you to visualize yourself thin, and how you're going to be really drawn to eating healthy foods, and really feel like exercising, etc. But even if it doesn't help me with weight loss, it's worth it just for the relaxation benefit.

Becky