Bread is not bad

Options
1235»

Replies

• estrobabe
    estrobabe Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give up any of my grains. I go for healthier options, it has its benefits.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    ..but alcohol is bad. no nutritional benefit

You are right about that. But sometimes a glas of good wine for pleasure is ok for me. Even because I'm from a wine area and my famliy makes our own wine. ;-)

Wine has healthy antioxidants.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with white bread - not sure if that has been answered successfully yet!

This is why whole grain bread is generally considered heatlhier than white.
    The invention of industrialized roller mills in the late 19th century changed what we got from grains. Milling strips away the bran and germ, making the grain easier to chew, easier to digest, and easier to keep without refrigeration (the healthy oils in the germ can turn rancid, giving the grain an off taste). Processing also pulverizes the endosperm, turning it from a small, solid nugget into millions of minuscule particles.

Refining wheat creates fluffy flour that makes light, airy breads and pastries. But there’s a nutritional price to be paid for refined grains. The process strips away more than half of wheat’s B vitamins, 90 percent of the vitamin E, and virtually all of the fiber. It also makes the starch easily accessible to the body’s starch-digesting enzymes.

A growing body of research shows that returning to whole grains and other less-processed sources of carbohydrates and cutting back on refined grains improves health in myriad ways.

Source, or for more information: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/health-gains-from-whole-grains/
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I personally LOVE bread! I :heart: carbs in general.

I make my own breads. So i KNOW what's in them.

I use organic non-gmo flours:

❤ white flour (as my main staple flour)

❤ homemade oat flour (for pancakes)

I honestly LOATHE anything whole wheat.
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bread IS bad. It gave my bank account number to a "Nigerian prince". He wasn't a Nigerian prince at all!

You went about that all wrong. I gave my bank number to a Nigerian prince and now I'm a millionaire. I'm guessing that my prince was a whole grain kind of prince. But not one containing gluten, obviously.
  • IAteBethDitto
    Options
    Mature cheddar melted on white toast will be my 'breakfast' tomorrow (eaten at lunchtime, 'cos that's when I have my breakfast).
  • carriespence1
    carriespence1 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It has little nutritional benefit because it has been bleached and then " enriched" when they add some of the good things back to it. It is easily converted to sugar and if you,re Insulin resistant,diabetic gluten intolerant , among other things it can cause issues.
  • Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Bread IS bad. It gave my bank account number to a "Nigerian prince". He wasn't a Nigerian prince at all!

Say what? Just asking.....
  • IAteBethDitto
    Options
    It has little nutritional benefit because it has been bleached and then " enriched" when they add some of the good things back to it. It is easily converted to sugar and if you,re Insulin resistant,diabetic gluten intolerant , among other things it can cause issues.

Yup. That's why I'm adding cheese. It will enrich the bread nicely and then the fat in it will lower the overall glycaemic index of the meal.

Cheese is medicine.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Of course bread isn't bad!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ....

Except for me. and my mom. and my husband. and my dad. and my MIL. and my son. :blushing:

Gee, I guess it is bad.:huh:

To each his own. :smokin:
  • carriespence1
    carriespence1 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Amen!