Trouble losing weight after gallbladder removal?

Options

Replies

• christyh79
    christyh79 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out 2 years ago, just started really trying to lose weight 6 months ago. In 6 months of bootcamp at my gym, personal training, becoming a runner, and using MFP, I've only lost 9 pounds. My doctor checked my thyroid, but that was ok, I never thought it could be related to my surgery until I started reading this thread! All we can do is keep working hard, it may be coming off slow, but at least we're making progress!
  • redhotbeads
    redhotbeads Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Looks like I can join the club - I had mine out six weeks ago. Promptly put on five pounds and am having a really difficult time losing them - despite tracking diligently on MFP and now wearing a Jawbone UP. Truthfully, I had NO idea that gallbladder removal would have any impact on weight loss! So I'm still doing what I can, eating right and exercising, but that scale is not budging.
  • AmyMalley77
    AmyMalley77 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    This is weird. I haven't really had any trouble without my gallbladder. Had it out 2/2012. The gallbladder stores the bile, in its absence the liver will continue to make the bile, without the bladder, you just don't store as much bile.

Exactly! The gallbladder stores extra bile so that if the liver can't make enough to help digest the food (my surgeon said this happens in the case if you eat a high fat food) the gallbladder will excrete some extra bile.

I had my gallbladder out almost exactly a year ago and I haven't gained any weight that can't be explained...I mean, I gained about 8 pounds over the Christmas holiday but it wasn't due to not having my gallbladder...it was due to drinking too many Rum Chata drinks and eating all the crazy Christmas cookies and desserts.
  • gandydancer
    gandydancer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Still at it and not much luck, ask any Dr. and they will say it has nothing with weight gain HA!!! Al you need to do is understand the function of the gallbladder and the liver and now the constant storage of what you eat and there you have it. :(
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I was born without a gallbladder and it hasn't impacted my weight loss.
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I weigh more now than before my gallbladder was removed, but that is because I can eat anything I want now. Prior to having it removed, if I ate much fat, I would be in excruciating pain for hours. Hence, I ate limited amount of items, and they were very low in fat. Now that I can eat anything I want to, and not suffer, sadly, I have done so more than I should. When I follow a healthy diet and exercise, I can lose, just like before. :)
  • Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Had my gall bladder out Sept 2012. Despite the normal advice of lowering fats, I went low carb and higher fat in Feb and have felt so much better since then. I've steadily lost weight and my digestive issues post surgery are greatly improved. Basically I've been doing the exact opposite of what is normally instructed post surgically and it is working for me. Moral of the story is that you will have to find what works for you now but don't necessarily count out fats just bc we are told we should go low fat. That isn't always the case.
  • reankanesmom
    reankanesmom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Have not had much issue with losing weight after having it removed but I am sick on a drop of a dime depending on how my body wants to act when I eat and I was never like that before. Sometimes I wonder how I even manage to get what nutrients I need
  • hladams8110
    hladams8110 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Luckily for me....with the change in my diet, I got to keep my gallbladder. Attacks have gone away since I started eating better.
    My brother had his gall bladder removed and just complained that he has to go right to the little boys room after he eats :blushing:

I had mine out when i was 18, and i will be 25next week, and i thought this was going to be my life too. I was told by about a million doctors that it was because i needed to eat healthier/less and i blew them all off. However, it turns out, now that im doing the healthy eating and exercising thing its like 95% better. If your brother isnt a healthy eater that could be why, if he really is genuinely eating healthy he should get checked out by a doctor.
  • dayanas1977
    Options
    I had my gallbladder taken out about 11 years ago and ever since then my weight is like a yoyo. It is VERY difficult to lose even five pounds, I gain weight faster then losing it! I have done everything , excrise had a personal trainer, diet eat healthly but still it's so hard to lose it fast like before. I am glad to see that I am not the only one out there dealing with this issue. I hope that one day I will be at my goal weight!
  • get10fit2013
    get10fit2013 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in October 2012 and once I was able to get back on solid food, I started immediately eating the way I was prior to surgery. Everything went straight through me and made me cramp and feel nauseated. I ended up being way sicker after surgery than I ever was beforehand, and ended up taking an additional week off work because I was experiencing chronic vomiting and diarrhea. (Sorry for being graphic, but I figure those of us reading this have no shame anymore since the surgery!) I actually lost 10 lbs in one week because I couldn't hold anything down but water and saltine crackers. After slowly introducing bland foods back into my diet, and adding low fat foods, I've done SO much better and I'm feeling great. I was at 229 the day of surgery, started the low fat thing probably in November, and in seven months I've lost around 25 lbs. Definitely slow, but I'm headed in the right direction so I'm happy with that. Don't get discouraged, it can happen. The only thing I've noticed that is really strange is that I'm losing a lot of my hair in the shower. I don't have bald spots or anything, but I can definitely tell it's thinning out. I had a hysterectomy at the same time, so it could be hormonal, or it could be because I'm not getting enough fat? Anyone else having this issue? My skin is extremely dry too. Please feel free to add me as a friend. I'm fairly new on here.
  • txgrl63
    txgrl63 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed in 1995 and never had any trouble with losing weight. Unfortunately my problem lies in keeping the weight off! I lost 169 1/2 pounds in 1996-1998 only to gain it all back again. I totally changed my diet and joined a gym in 2009 and have lost a total of 216 pounds. (I gained some back and am in the process of re-losing it!) I'm currently at 191 pounds down. My body had trouble adjusting to losing my gallbladder, but I don't think it interfered with my weight loss. Like I mentioned, it's the maintaining weight loss that's an issue for me!

By the way, I count calories and exercise. I eat 1200 calories per day.

Hang in there. Discouragement leads to failure!!
  • Julieanna269
    Julieanna269 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this thread, I was beginning to lose the plot. I had my gallbladder our in April 2012 and since then I've gained 18lbs. I joined MFP three weeks ago and have been sticking to 1200 a day and walking three times a week and haven't lost an ounce. I've even uped my calories to 1500 because I thought I may not be eating enough. I can't tolerate a lot of fat so am on a low fat diet anyway. Readying all the posts make me think that perhaps it is not having a gallbladder that is causing the slow start. I know some of you have said that if you eat less and exercise more your bound to lose but I'm starting to get a bit impatient and its good to know that I'm not alone. :smile:
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I had mine out at the end of May this year done as an emergency, had NO symptoms before the horrific pain that ended me up in hospital. i gained about 5lbs initially but that was due to the dependance on sugar (sweets, mainly Haribo's and Wine Gums) Have now cut all of that stuff out, don't drink alcohol and eat as low fat as possible and I've lost 4lbs in the last 2 weeks. I'm exercsing as hard as I can (walked 8 miles today) but have to agree it is a struggle.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 2 years ago and have been losing steadily without any problems. I don't 'work out, I eat normal food.. maybe people are trying too hard?

If you notice everything in this article is "to consume fewer calories".. Low fat = so you don't eat as many calories..more fiber = to stay full so you don't eat as many calories.. exercise = to burn calories..water = to bind with fiber so you feel full and eat less calories.. There's a pattern here.
  • hayaty86
    Options
    You are not alone , trust me on this one, i am also experiencing the same problems in fact it has made me gain more weight even though i am undertaking heavy training to lose weight it seems im just stuck at the same weight i am doesn't go up or down now which is really fustrating me
  • sweetpea0508
    Options
    Has anyone had any success w/ bile salt supplements? I had my gallblader out about 4 years ago and I have gained 40-50lbs over the last 4 years. It came on slow at first and now it seems to be creeping on quicker. I am 38 year old female. Not as active as I would like to be and should be. I am working to change that. I am looking into buying some ox bile... I have read some have had a little weight loss with initially, which would be encouraging to me. I drink a Vi shake every morning. It has helped a lot w/ the tummy troubles I typically have without my gallbladder, but it has not in a single way helped me lose weight. I have been drinking the shakes at least once a day since last July. If anyone has any ox bile advice or other supplements, please let me know. Thanks :)
  • gandydancer
    gandydancer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi, I haven't tried the oxbile yet but am getting desperate also...You could try digestive enzymes which some have recommended and I have tried them also but they didn't help at all, in fact I wonder if they help with breaking food down and storing more, so not sure.....It is crazy but I understand what you are going thru my weight has gone up 12 pounds since this time last year and since I am doing the same thing and eating the same as then I can only surmise that the surgery is dooming in reference to weight gain and only wish some one out there knew something that would help....good luck let me know if you try them.
  • littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    Just me then? lol

Well, I never personally have had any trouble losing weight and I had mine taken out 3 years ago. Some people have digestive problems but I've never heard of weight loss issues.