Options
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Most monkeys are in pretty good shape.

LMAO...loved this answer!
  • shaadi_juun
    Options
    My dietician told me to stay away from most tropical fruits. Banana's are my favorite though. If I have to have one I was told a serving size is only half a small banana.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    :huh: ...
  • TubbsMcGee
    Options
    Too much sugar can hinder weight loss, and also if you are trying to cut out the last little bit and hit a really low bf%, thats how.

What does that have to do with bananas being good or bad? While fruits do have sugar and this sugar can be counted in a generic setting (e.g. nutrition labels and MFP logs), just like fats, all sugars are not created equal, nor will they all have the same effect on the body.

No one has ever gotten fat eating fruit.

Yes, people can and have gotten fat from eating fruit. There have been plenty of people that are on this site eating 5 or 6 servings of fruit in a day's time and wondering why they are not losing weight or some people are even gaining..........

I personally feel that fruit should be looked at as a dessert. Not something you have everyday, unless you eat dessert everyday.

Me, I eat fruit a couple of times per week. Our diets should be vegetable, protein and fat based. Grains, dairy and fruit should be infrequent additions for optimal health........

I eat about a quarter or a third of a banana to help with leg cramps. I get leg cramps often due to my low sodium intake in my diet because I consume little or no processed foods and naturally most raw foods are lower in sodium..........

What?! You seriously only eat fruit for dessert?

The Canadian Food Guide reccomends at least 5-10 servings of fruits/veggies EVERY DAY
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    They're bad for me.
    I'm allergic. :[
  • peepocheck
    peepocheck Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Makes sense.......that may be why I keep trying to lose that last 6 lbs. but it won't budge. I absolutely love peanut butter and banana sandwiches. I have one almost every day when I get home from work. Plus being over 60 makes for a very slow metabalium (whatever- I'm only a tutor - so why should I be able to spell?)
  • ktc33
    ktc33 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I love bananas!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    banana peels can be dangerous

istockphoto_9226639-banana-peel-slip.jpg

Thank you for the giggle...I sure needed that today.
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 bananas a day. Every day. BUT, I have a LOT of weight to lose and my daily calories are pretty high yet. I expect that once I start to "struggle" with the lower calorie counts I will reduce to maybe 1 a day. I have noticed in the past couple of months that I no longer get cramps in my calf muscles.I attribute this, at least partly, to the bananas.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    No.

Bananas are food, I refuse to believe that eating a banana (as part of an overall balanced diet!) is going to make my belly fatter.

They grow on trees and contain natural sugars and carbs. Just make sure you log them in your diary and you will be able to see how they fit in with the balance of what you need to eat.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    My mom is a 61 year old diabetic who eats a banana almost every day and has lost 60 or 70 lbs. For me, I have blood pressure issues and I'm trying to get in all the potassium I can, so I usually have 4-5 a week.
  • TubbsMcGee
    Options
    Makes sense.......that may be why I keep trying to lose that last 6 lbs. but it won't budge. I absolutely love peanut butter and banana sandwiches. I have one almost every day when I get home from work. Plus being over 60 makes for a very slow metabalium (whatever- I'm only a tutor - so why should I be able to spell?)

Do you think that maybe it's the fatty PEANUT BUTTER that could be contributing to your weight, and not the bananas?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Do you think that maybe it's the fatty PEANUT BUTTER that could be contributing to your weight, and not the bananas?

More than likely not. Fat burns fat, where sugar does not burn fat. Most people that have problems with dropping weight are eating too much sugar and too low of fat intake.
  • Loveyoga8
    Loveyoga8 Posts: 1
    Options
    No. Great in potassium and fiber. I eat one everyday and am pretty fit. Just like everything else, eat one and not 5.
  • jess6742
    jess6742 Posts: 146
    Options
    I eat one or two bananas a day. They are a great snack and really filling. If you are having trouble losing weight it's probably other foods in your diet not bananas.
  • beccajay03
    beccajay03 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Has anyone hear read 80/10/10 or anything about raw veganism? I suggest looking up Freelea... she and other "30 bananas a day" people have pretty well convinced me that fruit will not hurt you!
    Yes, if you are diabetic or looking to get down to <5% bf, maybe you should be a little more cautious, but for the average person, bananas and all other fruits are wonderful sources of energy, and carbs are not the devil!

To each their own, and I'm not pushing my opinion on anyone, but I eat at least 3 servings of delicious fruit a day and will continue to do so.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I eat bananas multiple times a week.

Foods are not "bad" for you. Calorie dense, maybe. Not bad.
  • ironlady10
    ironlady10 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    They're not bad for you but anything in saturation/too much of is always bad - moderation is the key! I get serious stomach cramping from bananas.. I love them but I cant eat them for keeling over and staying on the floor for about an hour until the cramping subsides
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    Yes studies show eating too much banana can send the wrong signal to the opposite sex.

In one experiment a guy ate only bananas for 30 days. His friends thought he had crossed over to the other side.