Are Bananas Bad for You?

Options

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't believe that any single food is "bad" for you. It's all about moderation and a balanced diet.

Bananas have a bad reputation by some as they're quite high in cals. If eating a banana every day is causing you to go over into a surplus, then I suppose it's bad for you and your goals if you want to lose fat. However, as a fruit they have plenty of nutrients and are far more natural than a lot of processed food people eat now.

If you work them into your calories/macros just like everything else, then it'll be fine. I'm having one today :)
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I hope not. I eat one or two bananas a day. And I don't think they're giving me a fat belly.
  • __Aid__
    __Aid__ Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes if you have high potassium levels in your blood, or have kidney failure, otherwise you should be ok

haven't had a banana in 2 years, damn i miss them :grumble:
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options
    Yes if you have high potassium levels in your blood, or have kidney failure, otherwise you should be ok

haven't had a banana in 2 years, damn i miss them :grumble:

Is that why your surfboard looks like a banana? Because you miss them so much that you need something that reminds you of one? :D
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Yes studies show eating too much banana can send the wrong signal to the opposite sex.

In one experiment a guy ate only bananas for 30 days. His friends thought he had crossed over to the other side.

...maybe it was how he was eating his bananas...
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    No, they are healthy and nutritious, and full of potassium. And delicious. Enjoy them. Sheesh.
  • Shaolin_Life
    Shaolin_Life Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. do you go over your sugar for the day? then if so yes.

what?!?!? how does that even make sense?

God, thank you..... :love:
  • __Aid__
    __Aid__ Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Is that why your surfboard looks like a banana? Because you miss them so much that you need something that reminds you of one? :D

no substitute for the real thing :o)
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I eat a few a day most days :)
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Oh lord.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. do you go over your sugar for the day? then if so yes.

If you are looking to get super slim any added sugar can be bad but in most peoples situations it's just fine.

False.

Extra sugar while in a calorie deficit will not lead to weight gain.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I could not eat like this.. but I find it fascinating that this couple is running a marathon a day around Australia. This is their nutrition page. They eat a lot of bananas. :smile:

http://www.runningrawaroundaustralia.com/nutrition.html
  • MarishaRea
    MarishaRea Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bananas are good for you they are full of potassium so they are great for having before exercise as they give you a great energy boost. Also they are a fantastic protein source for after exercise so can help to aid repair of muscle tissue :-)
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options

haven't had a banana in 2 years, damn i miss them

Sorry to hear. :frown:
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Bananas are okay, but potatoes are better. More potassium, fiber, and protein. All hail the potato!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    OMG, 1/2 a banana w/ a tablespoon of natural peanut butter is the freaking best most filling snack! I'm in love with it!
  • MarishaRea
    MarishaRea Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Your right Potatoes have more B Complex Vitamins and antioxidant vitamins too as well as Vitamin K and minerals helping to convert your protein, fat and carbohydrates into Energy which is ideal for that energy boost you need before an exercise. I have to say I prefer a potato over a banana any day but my daughter loves them lol :-)
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    A banana never made anyone fat.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    As long as you are within your calorie goal, then no! Of course not. They have great micronutrients and are dead good for post-workout recovery or pre-workout fuel.

Eat the goddamn 'nanas, fool.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Bananas have a high glycemic index, so they are broken down into glucose really quickly, which causes a spike in insulin much more quickly than fruits with low glycemic indexes. The spike in insulin is associated with fat storage.

The association of insulin and fat storage is an oversimplification of how the cycle really works and has been promoted by people trying to sell books extolling the virtues of a low carb diet and how high GI foods are killing you.........

Here's an item that explains things in layman's terms, it's convenient that the low carnb promoters seem to forget all about glycogen storage (another function of insulin).....

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/cellular-microscopic/fat-cell2.htm