Full time workers, when do you go to the gym?

Options

Replies

• brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Luckily for me I go to a 24/7 gym.

So I am either there at 7am, right after work .. or late nights at 10-11pm
  • MaritaD
    MaritaD Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Mornings for me, evenings are too hectic!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I get up and do a dvd workout first thing before work. After, I change in the RR and head to the gym. Yep, 2 a days for me, keeps it interesting.
  • TheLadyRaw
    TheLadyRaw Posts: 17
    Options
    My day starts at 4AM, and it's reeeeally hard to work out after that. If I don't work out by 1PM, it's a "rest day."

Motivation for working out at night? Anyone?
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I go for an hour before work every day M-F .....After I am done cutting to the BF% I want, I will start a "lean Bulk" and will work out 1 hr in early AM before work, and 1 hr in the PM after work ......
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I work right across the street from my gym, which is a world-class facility, and I have a treadmill, bicycle, and squat rack/free weights at my house, so I have no excuses ever. I go to the gym at lunch on most work days (work with a PT one morning a week), and work out at home the rest of the time.

And with that, I need to get my patoot off the computer and onto the treadmill! Have a great day!
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    In the morning? After work? I am having a hard time getting up in the morning to go ( my boyfriend leaves the house around 6:30 am and we have a 5 year old so I need to be back by the time he leaves) I just need to suck it up but ahh! When do you go?

I am not working now, but when I did work full-time, I went in the evening before dinner. I found if I came home and started relaxing, I didn't want to go back out.

This. I have 2 capoeira classes a week, right after work. 1.5 hours each. Plus, hubby and I cross country run on week-ends in the mountain next to our home in the mornings. Around 8:00 am so then we can go eat and relax after.

can't seem to get back into it if I go home, relax, and then exercise. i have to go right after work.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    When I have the energy to go, I go after work. If I go before I end up so exhausted I can't make it through the day. However, when I plan to go after work I am able to judge if I'm too tired to go forward or not.

The key is to listen to your body.

I made the mistake of trying the exercise every day after work for an hour route and ended up with injury after injury. Now I only workout if I feel well enough to.

In the end though, the time you should go is when you WILL go. If you're more likely to carry through after work, go after. If you're more likely to sluff it off in the morning, don't go in the morning. Figure out a time that works for YOU and YOUR schedule.

PS: I work 64 hours a week... this may not be as difficult for those who work 40 hour weeks.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Well, working shifts I don't go at the same time every day. It gets hard as I work stupid hours and get really tired, but I love the gym so it has to be done! :D

When I do my early shifts, I'm up at 1:30-2am. Get home about 2pm-ish. If it's a weekend I'll grab a quick snack that I prepped before work and go straight to the gym (as it shuts at 4pm on weekends) but if it's during the week I'll sit and relax for a bit. Probably have a little more to eat - I'm hungry after work!

In my late shifts, I'll get up about 8am. Have breakfast, then go gym. Home, shower, eat and off to work. Home around 11pm so I couldn't go after.

If I had a typical 9-5, I'd probably go after work (and a little food) As tired as I am after a long day on my feet, I really don't like getting up early unless I have to!!! :laugh:
  • randee95
    randee95 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I go at 5 a.m. It takes some time to get used to but it's worth it because if I need to stay late at work or I am too tired or hungry after work to go, I know I already got my workout in!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Go at 2;45 Am like I do....plenty of time to bust hard in the gym, and get back before your man bones out.
  • mccallp319
    mccallp319 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I go to school from 8-12:30 mon-friday; then I have work from 3p-11p five days a week. My only option to workout is that window between school and work. I have been going five days a week for the past 4 months. It's hard and sometimes I'm exhausted and dont want to go, but I know to have the body and lifestyle I want to have, I have to get my *kitten* in the gym.
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 and 1 year old that are generally up at 6:00 am. In order to exercise together, my wife and I put together a home gym (power rack, bench, weights) and work out as soon as the kids are up. They watch a movie together in our gym while we exercise. We flipped used gym equipment to subsidize the cost of the equipment. We love it...now i just need to stop buying more gym equipment, ha.
  • itsanatalia
    itsanatalia Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I force myself to go before work. I've found out that if I don't go first thing, I most likely won't go at all. I do have a lot of co-workers who go during their lunch break. You could always see about splitting it up, like 20 min in the morning and then 20 min at another point in the day. That way you don't have to get up as early.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Usually before and right after work.
  • HealthyBrandi
    HealthyBrandi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym anymore, because I can't drive (epilepsy). I have a hard time waking up in the morning, but when I do, and work out early the whole day goes smoother and I get more accomplished. Plus you don't have to worry about it the rest of the day.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky- I have a gym at work. I work through lunch then hit the gym around 3. Since our pool is now open, I usually go for a 15-minute pre-dinner swim, too.
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    I go around 7:30-8:00 at night - I find it is less busy :) my cousin does the same, he has 2 young kids and he goes at like 9pm
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    i have an hour for lunch so i excercise in fasted state 16/8, workout for around 45-50 mins and then get back eat my lunch on my desk :)