Walking to lose weight.

Options
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to know if this sounds like a good plan. I am trying to lose 30lbs and would like to start walking. Would walking for an hour a day for 5 or 6 days a week be good exercise? Obviously at a brisk pace. I am also going to be drinking only water and snacking on more fruits, vegetables, and almonds. And I recently discovered Skinnytaste.com, so I would be getting a majority of my recipes from their. Also, I haven't eaten any fast food in 2 weeks or drank any soda and I no longer crave it which I think is a good start.

Replies

• Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I think walking is great exercise...its what Im doing and its working so far. Ive tried doing the C25K several times, everytime I try, I remember why I stop...my knees are shot from my time in the Army. But some part of me keeps forgetting that lol

Anyway, I once went from a size 10 to a 2 and the only exercise I did was walk...it wasnt by choice though, I wasnt driving during that time and had to walk everwhere lol but it did get me to realize that walking is effective. A couple years ago I lost 30lbs from walking alone.

So...back at it here again. Personally, when I try to run my knees kill then I cant do anything for awhile, but when I walk, I can do that every day with no negative effects. So as far as cardio goes...my vote is to go for it. Strength training would be a good thing to add in too...Im not doing it, but to give a well rounded answer, will say I do believe in the benefits of strength training for weight loss / building and maintaining muscle tone.
  • leahadix3
    leahadix3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the response! I love walking so I know it is something I can stick to. I really want to tone up my legs and I feel like it would be good for me. I also have some hand weights at home so I want to incorporate those in as well, like with arm exercises and squats as well, but I'd rather focus on just walking for a while. I'm really looking for inch loss more than anything, the number on the scale isn't number 1. Just want to feel better and look better :wink:
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    It depends upon what you eat. Track your calories and make sure you stick close to your goal.
  • leahadix3
    Options
    I wish I could take my dog for long walks. I have a 10 year old German Shepherd with bad hips, he can barely get around the house :frown:
  • weightlossforbrian
    weightlossforbrian Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You will do great if you stick to it. Don't be in a rush. enjoy your walks, I know that I do. Any form of exercise is better than no exercise at all. Remember to use Myfitnesspal to help you along your journey to weight loss by logging your food and walks so that you have a better understanding of what is going on with your goals.

And don't forget, what you eat plays a huge roll on weight loss.

take care.
  • ashenriot
    ashenriot Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes, walking every day, switching to healthier snacks and drinks, like water, and eating a lot of really delicious dishes from skinnytaste definitely works. Keep your net calories close to your goal and you should pretty much shed the pounds, depending on your starting weight. I started doing exactly what you're planning in July of last year and by November I had lost 30lbs. Make sure to try the chicken pesto (it's so fancy!) and the Barbacoa beef with cilantro lime rice, two of my favorites from skinnytaste! Good Luck!
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Great place to start! And skinnytaste's recipes are awesome. I love her healthy chicken nuggets. You should check out 'Oh She Glows' blog too, lots of great healthy recipes
  • simpsona5
    simpsona5 Posts: 24
    Options
    If you do what you plan to do, you should easily loose weight. I heard that walking on an incline is better than running on the flat. My only words of advise would be watch the almonds they are full of calories!!!
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 50 pounds just walking quickly. 5km a day. Great exercise and the fresh air is nice too!
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I walk every day...ok well almost every day :) I try to walk around 4-5 miles but it all depends on the weather. I have a treadmill, but I get so bored on it, so I will only use it if I absolutely have to. Eating within my calorie goals and walking seems to be working so far!
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    That's what I started out with when I first started exercising! My two year old loves to take walks.
  • leahadix3
    Options
    You will do great if you stick to it. Don't be in a rush. enjoy your walks, I know that I do. Any form of exercise is better than no exercise at all. Remember to use Myfitnesspal to help you along your journey to weight loss by logging your food and walks so that you have a better understanding of what is going on with your goals.

And don't forget, what you eat plays a huge roll on weight loss.

take care.

Thanks for the response! Definitely gotta make sure not to rush in the beginning, I've done it before and failed miserably. Take care!
  • leahadix3
    Options
    I walk every day...ok well almost every day :) I try to walk around 4-5 miles but it all depends on the weather. I have a treadmill, but I get so bored on it, so I will only use it if I absolutely have to. Eating within my calorie goals and walking seems to be working so far!

Sounds like you're doing great! I've never been fond of treadmills, I get bored as well.
  • leahadix3
    Options
    If you do what you plan to do, you should easily loose weight. I heard that walking on an incline is better than running on the flat. My only words of advise would be watch the almonds they are full of calories!!!

I plan on going to a local park with a few hills so that should be good. And I never knew almonds were full of calories, thanks!
  • leahadix3
    Options
    Yes, walking every day, switching to healthier snacks and drinks, like water, and eating a lot of really delicious dishes from skinnytaste definitely works. Keep your net calories close to your goal and you should pretty much shed the pounds, depending on your starting weight. I started doing exactly what you're planning in July of last year and by November I had lost 30lbs. Make sure to try the chicken pesto (it's so fancy!) and the Barbacoa beef with cilantro lime rice, two of my favorites from skinnytaste! Good Luck!

I've been addicted to the site and saving recipes! Lol. I'll have to look those 2 up! I'm excited to make the Cajun chicken pasta and those little confetti cupcake pink lemonade things, haha. They look perfect for Summer! And thank you :smile:
  • leahadix3
    Options
    I lost my first 50 pounds just walking quickly. 5km a day. Great exercise and the fresh air is nice too!

Wow, that is amazing! Definitely motivating! And the fresh air is a plus, I'd rather be outside than in a gym.
  • leahadix3
    Options
    Great place to start! And skinnytaste's recipes are awesome. I love her healthy chicken nuggets. You should check out 'Oh She Glows' blog too, lots of great healthy recipes

Definitely gotta check the healthy chicken nuggets out and I'll be sure to check out the blog! Thank you :smile:
  • leahadix3
    Options
    That's what I started out with when I first started exercising! My two year old loves to take walks.

Aw, that's nice! I babysit my little 9 month old niece a few days a week so taking her out in her stroller would be good.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    walking is fine for activity. but just remember that your results are what you put into it. if your goal is to do some activity to increase heart health and lose a few pounds and look..well, average as someone who walks, then by all means. go crazy, walking is fine and will suit those goals no problem. if you want to look lean and athletic, then walking won't cut it.