Options

Replies

• StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    Ty for sharing :)
  • hopejohnstone
    Options
    thank god for this post. It has kept me sane for the last 10 days, but yesterday the scale went down after increasing once I started a new exercise routine. Praise the Lord!
  • johnguitarman
    johnguitarman Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this post! This explains why my weight went from 254 to 258 within a couple days! What did I do different? I started running 5 miles a day and it was a new form of exercise for me. I couldn't understand what was happening. I knew it couldn't have been a fat gain and was most likely water but now I know the reason. Its been 6 days since I started running and I'm still a bit sore.

UPDATE - And just like that my weight has now gone back down to 254.4! It took about a week but this totally makes sense. Now after I get those sore muscles from starting new routines and my weight bounces I wont worry about it because I will know its normal.
  • Kevintron2
    Kevintron2 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Bump and save for later!
  • kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Great Article! It explains a lot.
  • LindaLuMarie
    Options
    My amazing MFP buddy Bumblepink just emailed me this article and I just had to share it. I have been so frustrated with a weight gain when I started jogging lost week, but this totally explains it from a trust fitness professional- Chalean Johnson. SPREAD THIS!

Why the Scale Goes Up When You Start a New Workout Plan

By Chalene Johnson

Probably the most common question I get when I release a new exercise program is, "Help! I'm gaining weight! Am I doing something wrong?" This is a common phenomenon with any new exercise program, such as Turbo Kick, Turbo Jam, Hip Hop Hustle, or others! It's especially common (and temporary) with intense strength training programs like ChaLEAN Extreme or Tony Horton's P90X.

The motivation to start a new exercise program is almost always to lose weight. However, what most personal trainers know--and most at-home exercisers do not--is that a new exercise program often can cause an immediate (and temporary) increase on the scale. (Notice I didn't say weight gain! I'll explain.) This common increase in the scale is also the reason why perhaps millions of people start and then quickly quit their resolution to get fit.

The temporary weight gain explained:
    When someone starts a new exercise program, they often experience muscle soreness. The more intense and "unfamiliar" the program, the more intense the muscle soreness. This soreness is most prevalent 24 to 48 hours after each workout. In the first few weeks of a new program, soreness is the body trying to "protect and defend" the effected or targeted tissue. Exercise physiologists refer to this as delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS.

This type of soreness is thought to be caused by tissue breakdown or microscopic tears in muscle tissue. When this happens, the body protects the tissue. The muscle becomes inflamed and slightly swollen due to fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few weeks of a new program. Keep in mind that muscle soreness is not necessarily a reflection of how hard you worked. In fact, some people feel no signs of muscle soreness, yet will experience the muscle protection mechanisms of water retention and slight swelling.

Most people are motivated enough to put up with this temporary muscle soreness. Yet, many, especially those who really need immediate weight loss to keep them motivated, become discouraged and quit!

When I worked with a group of 70 test participants during the development stages of ChaLEAN Extreme, this happened. Who was the most upset and discouraged? You guessed it... the women! I'm happy to report absolutely for every single woman (and man) in our group, the weight increase was temporary and never lasted more than two weeks before they started to see a major drop in the scale. However, these people had the advantage of working with someone who was able to explain to them why this was happening and assure them the weight would come off if they stuck to the nutrition plan and stayed true to the program.

If you follow a multi-phase exercise plan, such as ChaLEAN Extreme, keep in mind that when you start each phase, your body will be "in shock" again. Don't be surprised or discouraged if you experience a temporary gain on the scale the first week of each phase.

My own personal example of this is running 10Ks. I don't do it very often, maybe once or twice a year. Even though I run on a regular basis, when you run a race, you push much harder. It's natural for me to be insanely sore the next day. It’s also very common for me to see the scale jump 4 pounds the next day from forcing fluids post race and the resulting DOMS. Even though I know the cause of it, it's still a bummer. We're all human and hard work should mean results. Hard work equals results, but our bodies are amazing machines and they know how to protect us from hurting ourselves. Soreness forces you to give those muscles a break. Ultimately you will lose the weight and you will change your metabolism in the process.

The key is understanding that this is a normal and temporary and stick with the program!

bump

Thank you I started running 2 miles a week and doing kettlebell and weight training classes twice a week for about 4 consecutive weeks. I've gained 6 pounds and my thighs are thick and huge. I'm waiting for things to turn around. When will my thighs start slimming and the scale start seeing a loss?
  • chidori_nep
    chidori_nep Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump. this topic should be included in the must read list!
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    bump

I'm so glad you bumped this, because I really needed the confirmation. I've been at a 500+ cal. deficit for the past two weeks, except for yesterday, when I let myself just enjoy company and a BBQ (with moderation). I got on the scale this morning and was up a couple of pounds. I knew it couldn't be the food, and I didn't think I had any more sodium than I usually have (it's usually high anyway). I had forgotten that I had started Stage 4 in NROL4W on Saturday.
  • Tigg1011
    Tigg1011 Posts: 146
    Options
    So happy to see this! I increased my calories and started working out 6 days/week 30 mins per day and have managed to gain 5 lbs since may 8th! frustrating-hope it comes off soon!
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • l_clc
    l_clc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SouthernSkylark
    SouthernSkylark Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I am REALLY happy to have read this, thank you for sharing!
  • logicofsound
    Options
    I actually found this independently about a month ago when I first started trying to lose weight. Made it *much* easier not to quit after the first sudden seemingly inexplicable jump!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    book marking this one to give to those who talk about weight gain on here all the time. Very helpful.t.hanks.:flowerforyou:
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    As a woman who never seems to lose weight, only inches, through intense training, this is v interesting to read!
  • Christinichka
    Christinichka Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    This is helpful because sometimes you workout hard and then the scale doesn't change in your favor. I will have to remember this!
  • BoilerUpSlimDown
    BoilerUpSlimDown Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bumping for future reference and inspiration. I've been losing weight very consistently recently, until I started a new workout routine this week. It's comforting to know that this weight gain is only temporary!
  • yoster28
    yoster28 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am so happy someone posted this information as I just finished my first week of insanity. I know it is probably too early for much results but I read a lot of insanity users saying their weight increased for the first 2 weeks. I need to keep this in my archives.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    163552d1361149237-bump-thread-bump3.jpg