Full time workers, when do you go to the gym?

Options

Replies

• MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    When we used to have a gym membership, I only went at night. We only had 1 kid then and sometimes I took her with me and dropped her at the KidZone, but since most of the classes I took went past bedtime she usually stayed home with Daddy. Then Daddy would go on alternate nights. Sometimes I would go on Saturday mornings too.

Now we have 2 little ones and I do my own exercises at home after they go to bed or I get up early (5:15am) and do a work-out DVD. It would take too much time to drive to the gym, do the work-out, shower there (or at home after) drive-home, etc. My hubby also leaves around 6:30am, so I would have to get up at like 4am and that is NOT happening.
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution DVD at home workout in the am 6am, but also go to the gym a few days a week, at lunchtime! Perfer this as tend to feel more tired at night!

Good luck!
  • colin_mccomb
    Options
    First thing in the morning - only time of day that you are (nearly) guaranteed not to be interrupted or pulled away by something else, especially when you have kids.

Wake up at 4:30, at the gym by 5:00, work out until 6:00, back by 6:30 so you can be there for your little one. Go after work, or something similar, and you're going to have to mess with your schedule all the time to accommodate dinners, late meetings, karate classes for your kid, that sort of thing, and you'll find your gym date more often gets cancelled than simply delayed. Cancel too many in a row, and suddenly you're not in the habit of going to the gym anymore.

Sucks, I know, but nothing else seems to work (at least not for me). Plus, while waking up early sucks, your day goes better if you started out with a good workout.
  • wendygjc
    wendygjc Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym at 5:00 am Monday, Wednesday and Friday, the other days during the week I do Jillian Michaels dvd after dinner and homework etc with my 10 year old.

I try to also get in something like a run or game of basketball with my son on the weekends!
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I go mon-thurs at 8am before i go to work and i work 2 full time jobs. i also go saturday late morning/early afternoon as it is my only day off work.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i workout at lunch time (my office has a small gym or i go outside and run). once a week (during the week) i strength train at lunch then go for a run after work.
  • balsert713
    balsert713 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    We have two 7 year olds that my grandmother watches. My husband and I work the same schedule, and one or the other gets the kids immediately after work. (2pm) we head home, start dinner and eat by 5. We have our gym bag ready to go, and usually get to the gym around 6. They have a kids fit area, so our girls play while we workout for an hour, 3 days a week. If we're feeling up to it, the other two days of the week, we have the same schedule, but we all get in the pool for an hour. Our days off of work are here or there, so sometimes we do mornings, afternoons, not at all, whatever. While the girls are off school in the summer, it's hard to go get them and immediately go to the gym -- by time we're there an hour, the kids are complaining "they're starving" and if we go home to eat, we'll be eating at 7 at night! Or we fall in a trap of a lot of take-out which we're trying to avoid!

When the girls are in school, we go straight to the gym on our way home. They get off the bus almost 4, so we have an hour and a half to play with. We still go to the gym at least twice a week after dinner, so the girls can play or swim.

We don't go ALL the time, it sounds like we're on a strict five days a week schedule. Haha. But the kids enjoy going, having other kids to run around with, swim, and so on.. So it's entertaining for them and they have fun. They even have a kids fit class during the week during school, which is pretty much a gym class, where thy play basketball or dodgeball or whatever.

I couldn't imagine waking up early to workout. I already get up at 430 .. I'd have to be up at 3 to run for an hour .. work all day and bed around 10. I'd be exhausted!
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom with a 9 year old daughter. I have to be at work at 7 am and have a 45 minute drive so there's no going before work. My daughter is very active too so her activities make it hard to get there so what I do is take kickboxing classes on Thursday evenings (7:30-8:30) and Saturday mornings (9-10) and try to walk at least 3 times a week during my lunch break at work. This works for me. Sometimes especially during the summer months, my daughter and I will work or bike ride in the evenings too.

You just gotta find what works for you and stick to it.
  • jmurray90
    jmurray90 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    In the morning? After work? I am having a hard time getting up in the morning to go ( my boyfriend leaves the house around 6:30 am and we have a 5 year old so I need to be back by the time he leaves) I just need to suck it up but ahh! When do you go?

As soon as i get in town from work. i workout in my scrubs... if i go home i WILL not go back out to the gym. sometimes i will workout at home but i usually just go to the gym to make sure
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I go immediately after work..:laugh: If i don't I'll find a reason not to go...:wink: Today is my 121 st consecutive visit to the gym (Planet Fitness) ... The workouts at the gym and the support from this site.. has kept me motivated..:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I usually go after dinner (we eat at 6). I tried to go right after work but I felt so nauseous because I was starving. And I leave for work by 6:30 and I already have a hard enough time getting out of bed for that.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i go during lunch or right after work! going during lunch is a pain in the butt but for my job at the moment it works
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I don't. I work out at home. It saves me an hour of driving.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i get up at 6:45am, out the door before 7am, back at 8am to walk the dog, make breakfast, shower & get ready.

no way i am working out after working all day.
  • alicha78
    alicha78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I usually go in the mornings right before work. So I hit the gym 6:15am, shower get ready for work and out of the gym by 7:30 and sometimes I'll squeeze in a class during lunch as well. Going in the morning allows me to do whatever I'd like at night.

During weekends, I can squeeze into two classes between 7:30 am and 9:30am and then spend the rest of my weekend hanging out with friends, and eating a bit! :)
  • jennrox78
    jennrox78 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I work an hour from my house but pass the YMCA on the way.. so this is what I do Monday- Friday

445am WAKE UP/ DRESS GRAB MY ALREADY PACKED BAG WITH SHOWER STUFF/ CHANGE OF CLOTHES/ ETC
    600am GET TO GYM/ WORK OUT
    640am SHOWER/ GET READY
    715am HEAD TO WORK
    800am-500pm WORK
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Not only do I work full time, but it's most like 60 hour work weeks, so I work out at home.
  • kris472
    kris472 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I go on my way home from work. I could never get myself up early to go to the gym, and once I'm home relaxing, I don't want to go to the gym. So, I have to do it on my way home. I'll even run errands before hitting the gym. It is my last stop before heading home for the night.
  • __delete
    __delete Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Up at 3:45am, to hit the gym by 4:15, back to home, in work by 8.
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership, but I usually take a look at my work week and figure out what I am going to do from there. If I have a lot of meetings during the day, I workout in my basement with videos in the morning. I also run (seasonally) so that is usually mornings before work. Right now I'm swimming on my lunch hour usually twice a week. I have access to a car on the weekends so that's when I usually go to yoga class on both Saturdays and Sundays.

I know some people stock up on their exercise on the weekend. So say you do some great workouts on Saturday and Sunday, maybe you only need to "go to the gym" on Tuesday and Thursday mornings before your SO leaves for work. Two mornings a week isn't that bad to have to get up early if you want to take care of yourself.