spouse/significant other changes attitude with weight loss?

Options

Replies

• A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I've been very lucky that my husband has supported me non-stop in this process. I was about 100 pounds overweight and one day I realized it, ugh! I started walking 2 miles every day, then started cutting out the junk foods, eventually I started cooking healthy dinners, exercising more etc..my husband joined right in and now when he cooks he will measure out and weigh everything and write it down for me so I can track what I am eating.
    He is my biggest supporter and my inspiration. We have become closer, enjoy a more active lifestyle and we are like younger versions of ourselves but much thinner! Every aspect of our lives are better and considering we are celebrating our 25th anniversary in a few months I think that speaks for itself!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    My wife was never rude about my weight to begin with, but she has definitely made positive and supportive comments about me losing weight, being healthier, and being in better shape overall. And I generally feel better about my body and more willing to wear better clothes, etc.

this, but in reverse, my husband was being the awesome one, buying me workout shoes and clothes when i hit certain milestones.

he decided to get in shape with me the past 6 months, so we work out together when we can. i think we both appreciate the muscle mass we've developed!

my favorite quote from him "you know, i loved your butt before, cause when i grabbed it it gave in to me, i could mold it. now when i grab your butt it resists me! it's firmer now!"
  • mindyjo74
    mindyjo74 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    "I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the unsupportive husband/boyfriend thing...

To me it seems when a woman works out and gets healthy, its a total win for her man. He gets a hotter girl, with more energy, more sex drive, who feels more confident about her body and that leads to better sex. That confidence spills over to all parts of her life, personal and professional. Seems like a total win..lady upgrade!."

This!!

My husband is thoroughly enjoying my weight loss. :-) But then again, he has always loved me regardless of the shape I was in. I think what he likes about my weight loss isn't the inches gone but the confidence gained. When I feel good about myself I stand taller, dress better and in general project happiness. What's not to love?

I understand what you mean! My husband is not supportive and i believe its because he is insecure. And he is so very competitive and the fact that he thinks he cant compete makes it worse. Does that make sense? I have tried to encourage and include him and he refuses. Im feeling great and not going to let him ruin it. Its just sad that he is doing this to him self. I envy your husbands support! Dont take that for granted!!

It's very sad to read about the lack of support that some of you are getting from your significant others. At least if you're just dealing with a boyfriend/girlfriend you can move on and find someone that will love you regardless of how you look.
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend encourages my weight loss even though he does not diet himself. We won't order a takeaway or buy junk food unless I say it's ok and even when it's his turn to cook he makes the meal himself and keeps it healthy. He's never been mean about my weight before and even now that I've made progress he says the change is nice but the way I was before was also good.
  • Kurrsteee
    Kurrsteee Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend isn't as supportive as he could be, but I don't think he does it on purpose. He misses eating meals together, and when I feel like pigging out a bit, he lets me get on with it because he thinks it's going to make me happy.
    However, he is really supportive when it comes to noticing changes. He's always pointing out what's gone (fat wise) and where I've gained more definition. I think he's just supporting my every whim honestly! :)
  • Elliesque
    Elliesque Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    i think its true. I've been married 9 years. OUr kids are older now (age 5 and 7), I'm in my 30s and its time to focus a little bit on me. Husband notices and I think is more loving because of it. He's supportive. He's not RUDE when I've been heavier, but he is more affectionate when he knows I'm working on ME for my health, for our family and for him :)

This. Been married almost 15 years and my weight has gone up and down like a yoyo - hubby has loved me all the same throughout. But, I know he loves to see when I'm thinner because I'm healthier.
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My husband has turned into a pervert. He stares at me, cant keep his hands to himself, and makes "commens" to me... thats how my husband has changed...

^^ My husband does this now. Are you telling me it's going to get worse? :laugh:

yes, it has gotten worse! my husband always told me how good i looked, even though i knew i didnt. he always told me how much he loved me, no matter what... but now, its like im married to some 18 year old pervert!

and... we have 5 kids, and they even catch him staring at me... ill be in the kitchen, and ill hear one of my daughters... "dad, stop staring at moms butt, you wierdo!!!" sometimes i feel like im being stalked!

Oh! That makes me so happy for you! If my hubs and I are ever 5 kids in I sure hope that he looks as me the same way as yours looks at you! Sorry to be sappy but that truly just made my day. Sounds like you guys have a great relationship!
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comment about it being a win win for my husband! He is really enjoying the benefits of me being healthier and feeling more confident. One example is, he is constantly wanting to hug me from behind, and before, I would push him away or dart out of the hug because of embarassement, but now I let him embrace me and sometimes even let him get the girls involved in the hug! :) Because I feel better about myself and how I look. Your other half should be supportive with the lifestyle change you are trying to make and if they arent, I think it may be time to re-evaluate the situation. I feel terrible for the people who are saying their significant others are saying and doing things that are downright MEAN, and I am sorry you have to deal with that.
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    My husband met me when I was at the smallest in my life.. I had just started my journey into sobriety as a meth addict so needless to say I was very underweight.. I weighed maybe 114 pounds. In eight years, I gained quite a bit of weight and I could see that he was no longer physically attracted to me.. I love my hubby, but one could say he has "little man syndrome".. He is 5'8" and about 150 lbs.. He has often said that his partner should not weigh more than him.. As I began my weight loss journey this time (yes, there have been other attempts) he was skeptical.. I have made it a point to be very honest with him about my expectations with myself and our relationship as I lose weight. On weigh and measure days, I make him apart of the experience so that he is aware of the changes. Not because I want him to know how hard I am working at it, because he sees that.. But because it is important for him to see how happy I am with the small victories each week and even acknowledge the failures. He gets to share those with me. It has made him more involved with dinner planning and family activities. One of my expectations is, as I get into better shape, I want the whole family to eat healthier and be more active. What once was destructive and hurtful criticism on his part has now become involvement and support. He is even reading up on the FDA and USDA regulations in the U.S. and how some of the regulations actually may help contribute to obesity in America. I couldn't ask for a better spouse and supportive partner at this time. It took a LOT of effort on my part also to bridge that gap between us.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My husband is supportive in general, but doesn't seem to mind if I'm bigger or smaller. If anything, he complains when I lose weight that by boobs get smaller. Oh well. He won't diet with me though - he exercises a lot but eats crap and generally won't eat the healthy meals that I cook. He'll just make frozen pizza or pasta and sausage for himself. We've been married for 12 years now and years ago I had issues with all the junk food that he keeps in the house and I'd beg and plead with him to not buy that stuff because it was so tempting for me. But now I've just learned to deal with it. He's going to eat ice cream in front of me almost every night and it's not worth arguing over. I wish he would eat better, but he's only going to change if he ever feels like actually doing it. And I'm very strict on my diet (no grain/dairy/sugar/etc.) and have just learned to ignore all the crap in our kitchen and eat what I'm supposed to eat.
  • alwayskungfu
    Options
    Too all you brilliant Women with unsupportive partners, they should be ashamed, there behaviour speaks volumes about their own hangups and shortcomings. You are all brilliant strong people , well done, do it for you, you all look fab. Sometimes it is very hard to start the battle against the bulge, and we have to hunt down and face our own or our partners demons. I love my life and my Wife is my best friend and my soulmate we have an 8yr old son. I would never dream of critesizing her choices, myself, I have always worked out, I value my health and do it firstly for me but also to be my best for my family. My wife has never really liked exercise and has gradually lost her battle with the dreaded pounds, she has always tried to be sensible with her diet, but puts on weight easily, recently she lost her Mum and has slipped into depression, so she has buried herself in books. I have told her that its getting to the point that I am worried about her health I have suggested we could see a nutritionist and perhaps we could go for long walks together, she agreed and was happy that I cared, she went back to her books. You can only help and support someone when they are ready, and they may never be, but thats even more reason to show your love. Good luck to you all.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Well, my husband and I aren't currently living together, as he is in the Army and in Hawaii.... I am moving there in about a month. But he knows I am exercising and trying to lose weight.
    He met me when I was about 10-12 lbs heavier and he loved me then and thought I was super sexy. haha :blushing:
    So the fact that I am getting smaller and more fit makes him excited.

He is a very active person, and he wants me to be in shape just so he can do all the active things with me. He has always said that. He never said I was overweight or unattractive. He just said he wants to go hiking, biking, kayaking, etc... And he wants to do it all WITH me. So if I can't get up 2 flights of stairs without huffing and puffing, he says something.

But he wants to get into cooking and eating healthy once we are together. So we will be exercising and eating well together. :bigsmile:

He's adorable. He is all about sharing every experience with me. Even if it's watching a tv show. He has a list of shows that neither of us are allowed to watch because he wants to watch them together..... haha SO FREAKING CUTE. :love:

Also, he wants to get a punching bag and speed bag. I haven't used my boxing gloves in a long time so I"m excited!
  • sheltony
    sheltony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hubby saw me putting on my bathing suit the other day and commented on how nice I look! Made my day. He's losing weight too and I let him know how many difference I see. Kind of like "where's Carmen San Diego?" "where is that big tummy?" We try to show love and patience when we slip up, keeping each other motivated as we can.
  • balsert713
    balsert713 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've never been "skinny".. I met my husband at 13 and was a chunky teen. We were together almost a year, he moved and long distance just did not work with us. So we remained friends. At 18, we met back up and have been together ever since. I was 200 at 18, gained to 250 but lost down to 205 for our June '12 wedding. I have dieted before, off and on, weight watchers this and that. Staying between 250 and 205. When I joined MFP, that was the end of the dieting .. It was a complete lifestyle revamping. My husband was game -- he was soooo skinny when I first met him. At 18, he was 160 and his heaviest was 240. (of course, skinny and chunky and so on is all relative considering he was 13 when I met him, and obviously in puberty where muscles and his body were changing). I've never loved him any less at his heaviest but will admit the sexual attraction was lost to me. I was also heavy, I found myself unattracfive, ugly, not wanting to be naked. The things we were accustomed to doing, now made impossible with our bellies touching. He is more unmotivated, tired, and lazy around the house. Running around with the kids, which I loved in him, now exhausts him. He has a bad knee, with extra weight, it takes little to aggrevate it. It seems the extra weight has changed a lot of the things I loved about him. Not that I'm NOT guilty of any of these things, or changes, but I can see a change in attitude.

I still love him dearly, he's my husband. I think we'd both be more satisfied in our relationship healthier.

On the flip side, he says he's afraid of his feelings when I become "skinny". I've never been, and he loves my body just the way it is. Of course, when I lost down to 205 I can clearly remember a time he enjoyed when I was "skinner" and all the compliments he gave me. So, I figure he'll adjust just fine, in a positive manner, to the new me. Haha.

Other than sexual attraction, I find our relationship hasn't changed. I don't see the weight, unless he's complaining about his knee, and he's still the same person I fell in love with. If he wants to lose it, I'll be happy and supportive. He's always been supportive, whether I was dieting or not. Has never made side comments about my weight. He seemed impressed with my weight loss, but I'm not going back up to see the impact it has on my husband's attitude! :)
  • Jayne19099
    Jayne19099 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, glad you posted this! My fiance and I are getting fitter together and I can really tell he is loving the new slimmer me. Personally, I LOOOOOOOVE the shapely muscles he has in his shoulders and arms now, I let him know it too :wink: and he is loving the new me. Our love life is better than it has ever been, we've been trying new things, and have stamina like never before, yeesh! Didn't know it could get so good :blushing: Basically, the hard work to be healthier and fitter is spilling over in to all aspects of out lives: work life, love life, social life, etc. It has really helped out relationship to have this common goal to support each other in working towards.
  • jen112685
    jen112685 Posts: 3
    Options
    My fiance has always found me attractive and I know this because we were friends/fwb off and on over the 5 previous years before we dated. lol. From my heaviest at 284 lbs to my lowest of 171 lbs he has told me just exactly how beautiful, hot, sexy, etc he thinks I am. We began dating when I was around my lowest weight, and I know that kinda sounds like he just got together with me because of that but I promise that's not how it went. lol. We have always been good friends to each other and great listeners and advice givers, we were just a little too oblivious at the time to notice we should have been with each other. Usually we'd get together to talk about one of our problems and then end up having mind blowing sex to forget about said problems. lol. When we both happened to be single at the same time and not hung up on an ex girlfriend or boyfriend at the same time was when we finally opened our eyes to one another and decided we should give this dating thing a try. It was mere coincidence that it happened when I was at my lowest weight but I'm not saying that didn't help in the deciding factor. I'd totally wanna date me at that weight. haha. Well now we've had a child together, my 2nd, his 2nd, and our 3rd total. During that pregnancy I had a rough go of things physically much more so than with my first pregnancy. I wasn't quite sure how to handle it and so I didn't really handle it very well at all. I gained back a lot of the weight I had lost and now that my last child is nearing 1 year old I'm finally able to get back on track and start hitting it hard again with working out and learning to be a runner once more. My SO is noticing and tells me how proud he is of me and celebrates every week when I tell him how much more I've lost. He wants to also start losing some weight. He's always been kind of a stick but had visible abs when we started dating but put on some baby weight with me and can't quite fit in to a few of his jeans. I will be sure to celebrate his efforts when he gets more serious about losing weight, too and always tell him how proud of him I am. Regardless of weight though we are both very much attracted to each other and can't keep our hands to ourselves. I am so happy to have such a wonderful partner and couldn't ask for a better person to support me in this. Unfortunately, I do know several other women who have lost drastic amounts of weight and their partners are resentful of them for it.
  • jen112685
    jen112685 Posts: 3
    Options
    We've been married 10 years now, a second marriage for both of us. I was widowed, and she was divorced, we each have one child, and none together. We are both Christians with very strong faith and beliefs. When we met, I was 235 lbs., just 15 lbs. over my fighting weight. We were both very physically attractive people. My wife is still VERY HOT! LOL! I totally understand the women who wrote about their husbands or boyfriends acting like perverts, not being able to keep their hands off of their wife's new sexy bodies! I have always been like that toward my wife, and I still am!

Here's the rub....in her prior marriage, she was mentally and emotionally abused for the majority of the time she was married to her ex. This has led to a lot of personal insecurity in her persona. It was these insecurities that led her to always be suspicious of me, constantly worried that other women would be attracted to me, and that I would be seduced. As I started to put on weight during our marriage, she once told me she didn't care that I was overweight, that she actually preferred it because other women wouldn't want me! Because of her past, I have always tried to be loving, reassuring, and complimentary to her.

To that end, over the 10 years of our marriage, I put on 100 lbs, and she put on 10! I couldn't stand the way I looked, and as a martial artist, I couldn't perform very well in the 4 or 5 competitions I entered each year. Make no mistake, I was training regularly, and lifting weights, but there was constantly junk food in the house, and the meal portions she would serve me were off the charts! I would complain about it, we would fight about it, and then due to my complacency, it would just go on that way. Meanwhile, she would run 5 miles 2 or 3 times a week, and be very disciplined about what she ate.

In late December of 2012, I decided for myself that this was it. I was going to eat healthy, lose weight, and be healthy again. I wanted to lose 50 lbs. by my birthday, which is next week. I started doing all the food shopping myself, and a lot of the meal preparations as well. I still lift weights with a very aggressive routine 3 times a week, and train a couple times a week with karate. Since January of 2013, I've lost 34 lbs. and about 5 inches off of my waist. Most of it has come off since I joined MFP in April! (Shout out here to all of my MFP friends who've been so supportive! THANKS!) I've missed my initial goal, but I am definitely headed in the right direction! Long term, I will lose the 100 lbs, and maybe another 15 to get to my new goal weight of 220.

My wife has been very supportive on the surface, and our sex life has picked up even more! (Mainly because I have more energy, and can move better and do more!) She even decided to lose the 10 lbs, she has put on, and joined MFP as well. However, as the weight and inches have come off, some of the insecurities have come back in the form of worries about other women hitting on me, and me giving in to them and cheating on her. Occasionally, she suggests we go out for ice cream sundaes, "...because I've been working so hard and I deserve it." She "surprises" me with Snickers bars, because they are my favorite. She prepares meals that while very good, are high in calories or carbs.

Spousal support in an endeavor such as this is a complicated thing. If your spouse or partner is secure in and about themselves, then the support will be there. I suspect that spouses or partners who are not supportive secretly fear that if you lose weight, get in shape, and look good, that they will lose you to someone else. If this is your situation, be even MORE reassuring of your love and commitment to your partner, and the relationship you share together. In a committed relationship, someone has to be the anchor. Ideally, you take turns in this role. Don't let your partner's insecurities or indifference toward your goals and successes in your endeavors to become a healthy person derail you from your efforts. At the same time, as you begin to get noticed more by others, (and you will be), don't let the compliments feed your partner's insecurities. Make the effort to be more affectionate, loving, and reassuring to your partner, and keep on track to achieving your goals!

I agree that you should most definitely be reassuring to your insecure spouse in such situations as I know too many who are upset, jealous, and insecure and take it out on their spouse for losing too much weight and thinking that means they are going to leave them. However, I think that you reassuring them isn't always enough. I would suggest having a good long sitdown talk about how it is not okay for her to keep offering you snickers or ice cream trying to derail you even if her intentions are 'good'. Talk to her about how this makes you feel and then suggest you both go to counseling together to work on the insecurity issues. Suggesting the spouse go alone will only cause more problems in my opinion, but going together you will have the chance to understand what she's going through even better and also to maybe even learn new things yourself about what really works in reassuring her that you arent going anywhere. Maybe saying it isn't enough. Maybe she wants you to show it somehow? I don't know. Just a suggestion, not trying to butt in to your marriage. I hope you and others in the same situation will consider it though. I think getting healthy isn't just physical.
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Here's the rub....in her prior marriage, she was mentally and emotionally abused for the majority of the time she was married to her ex. This has led to a lot of personal insecurity in her persona. It was these insecurities that led her to always be suspicious of me, constantly worried that other women would be attracted to me, and that I would be seduced. As I started to put on weight during our marriage, she once told me she didn't care that I was overweight, that she actually preferred it because other women wouldn't want me! Because of her past, I have always tried to be loving, reassuring, and complimentary to her.

To that end, over the 10 years of our marriage, I put on 100 lbs, and she put on 10! I couldn't stand the way I looked, and as a martial artist, I couldn't perform very well in the 4 or 5 competitions I entered each year. Make no mistake, I was training regularly, and lifting weights, but there was constantly junk food in the house, and the meal portions she would serve me were off the charts! I would complain about it, we would fight about it, and then due to my complacency, it would just go on that way. Meanwhile, she would run 5 miles 2 or 3 times a week, and be very disciplined about what she ate.

In late December of 2012, I decided for myself that this was it. I was going to eat healthy, lose weight, and be healthy again. I wanted to lose 50 lbs. by my birthday, which is next week. I started doing all the food shopping myself, and a lot of the meal preparations as well. I still lift weights with a very aggressive routine 3 times a week, and train a couple times a week with karate. Since January of 2013, I've lost 34 lbs. and about 5 inches off of my waist. Most of it has come off since I joined MFP in April! (Shout out here to all of my MFP friends who've been so supportive! THANKS!) I've missed my initial goal, but I am definitely headed in the right direction! Long term, I will lose the 100 lbs, and maybe another 15 to get to my new goal weight of 220.

My wife has been very supportive on the surface, and our sex life has picked up even more! (Mainly because I have more energy, and can move better and do more!) She even decided to lose the 10 lbs, she has put on, and joined MFP as well. However, as the weight and inches have come off, some of the insecurities have come back in the form of worries about other women hitting on me, and me giving in to them and cheating on her. Occasionally, she suggests we go out for ice cream sundaes, "...because I've been working so hard and I deserve it." She "surprises" me with Snickers bars, because they are my favorite. She prepares meals that while very good, are high in calories or carbs.

Spousal support in an endeavor such as this is a complicated thing. If your spouse or partner is secure in and about themselves, then the support will be there. I suspect that spouses or partners who are not supportive secretly fear that if you lose weight, get in shape, and look good, that they will lose you to someone else. If this is your situation, be even MORE reassuring of your love and commitment to your partner, and the relationship you share together. In a committed relationship, someone has to be the anchor. Ideally, you take turns in this role. Don't let your partner's insecurities or indifference toward your goals and successes in your endeavors to become a healthy person derail you from your efforts. At the same time, as you begin to get noticed more by others, (and you will be), don't let the compliments feed your partner's insecurities. Make the effort to be more affectionate, loving, and reassuring to your partner, and keep on track to achieving your goals!

Not to butt into your marriage either, but I think your wife is kinda perpetuating the cycle of her prior relationship (power and control). Good for you in being well adjusted despite that.
  • mikemalone85
    Options
    It's really sad to read so many stories about people not getting support from their significant other during their weight loss journey. I make it a point to tell my wife everyday how great she is doing and how beautiful she looks. Sometimes is seems like she feels like I'm just saying it because I have to, but the truth is, I don't have to say it. I really do appreciate all of her hard work and think she is looking incredible. I'm so sorry if your significant other doesn't let you know how great you look, it really helps to keep you motivated. If they do tell you everyday, don't get tired of hearing it. Don't take it for granted when they really are sincere.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    My husband has watched me try to lose weight and yo yo diet the entire 16 years we have been together. There's only one time I can remember when he wasn't totally supportive of me- it was when I was really addicted to the gym (wish I had that motivation now) and was going 7 days a week and going to Weight Watchers meetings. He would try to get me to stay home on the weekend mornings and not jump out of bed for the meeting, gym, etc.
    In December 2012 I finally had WLS and have dropped 122 lbs. He is really supportive of me- not because of the better sex part, but he was really concerned about my health. He is not threatened at all. I don't take him for granted, believe me!

-Kendra