Coffee a metabolism-killer?

Options
13»

Replies

• TheLadyRaw
    TheLadyRaw Posts: 17
    Options
    I've only read that coffee actually enhances thermogenesis.. fat burning.

*shrug*
  • TheLadyRaw
    TheLadyRaw Posts: 17
    Options
    But what does Dr. Oz have to say about it?

NO. :noway:
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    When I had my BMR measured in the phsiology lab they specifically told me not to have coffee that day (among other things) because it raises the reading.

I know some people who feel queasy if they have coffee on an empty stomach, but that's a completely different issue.

Nutritionists really do talk a lot of bollocks.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    1. Make unfounded claims
    2. Write/publish "diet" book
    3. Profit!
  • TMcChamp
    TMcChamp Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    no coffee, no workee.
    I am down from 6-8 cups a day to 3-4....
    I have mine on an empty stomach most morning.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second coff of cuppy. I usually drink tea. Today I felt like killing my metabolic rate. Next, I'm going to go through all my books and making them politically correct by changing words like penMANship to handwriting, freshMAN to first-year student

while you're at it, change MENopause to personapause
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I read both the positive and the negative reviews of the book on Amazon. Here's what the most helpful positive reviewer claims: "For example, if you can't give up your coffee, eat first. Coffee on an empty stomach is a metabolism killer because it pulls sugar from your muscles to balance hormones."

So it's not about coffee being a metabolism-killer in general, just the idea of having it on an empty stomach. I don't know if the statement above is true or not. It probably depends on how long you wait before you eat something. I do know that coffee is quite acidic and so drinking it on an empty stomach can make you feel lousy. I prefer to have my coffee after meals, but that's just me.:smile:

Bull.

Anything you consume takes 20 min to 20hrs to be absorbed. Caffeine bioavailabilty is relatively fast with peak bioavailabilty at about 2 hrs (as shown by blood sampling studies). In general, unbound sugars have a bioavailabilty that is quite higher with an initial peak at about 30 min.

<insert gif of food slurry in stomach>

Now, let's assume that wasn't true. What is this "sugar being pulled out of muscles"? Let's say its a bit of glucose and let's assume she's right for the sh!ts and giggles. Would that be the same glucose that is used by your brain when you sleep? Or that glucose that is used up during exercise? Hmmm, gotta stop sleeping and exercise, too. 'Cause hormones.

A study that says something: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/51/5/759.short

Caffeine does affect blood glucose levels - in diabetic rats and at levels of 50 g/ kg weight.

Another study, with science: http://imr.sagepub.com/content/40/6/2220.abstract

That's about 1/2 cup per kg. so I'd have to drink 40 cups of coffee (long term and be diabetic) to see an impact on blood glucose (according to that study).

Who known maybe that nutritionist isn't blathering and has a secret lab.

< insert gif of secret lab>

Time for coffee. I shouldn't read the forums in bed. They get my hormones all unbalanced.

tumblr_mbcm91Yvzf1rvn6njo1_500_zps5c2f23c5.gif
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    1. Make unfounded claims
    2. Write/publish "diet" book
    3. Profit!

I thought step 1 was to gather underpants?
  • LolaTootsie
    LolaTootsie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I find that a couple mugs of strong coffee in the morning helps to - ahem - get things moving...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    My own experience - have continued to drink coffee, at least one cup, sometimes two, before eating any breakfast.
    did this before I started trying to lose weight and afterwards.

Am losing weight at my desired pace so will continue along with the coffee.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Unless you exercise hard, your body has enough Glycogen to last about a day with zero food intake. If you run, you can use it up in a couple of hours. When you wake up in the morning at six and you had dinner at 6 PM, your body can take about 4 hours to digest it, so you're fasting for about 8 hours. Coffee actually increases your metabolism slightly, but you got plenty of Glycogen in store that your body isn't even touching fat, let alone consume muscle protein.
  • aliciamhosein
    Options
    For the safety of others, I drink coffee first thing in the morning, before anything else.

haha. I agree with that!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Hey, if she's the nutritionist to the stars and has written a book it must be true........I'm convinced, no need for science here. /sarcasm

LOL! I was thinking the same thing.

I don't get how it can kill your metabolism or how it has anything to do with weight loss or inhibiting it.