my daughter is bringing home ice cream right now

Options

Replies

• A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I am an ice cream junkie and I understand no portion control with ice cream. I would have her grab you a skinny cow or frozen yogurt of your choice and then she can have her ben and jerry's ice cream. Both of you are getting a treat, but your is going to be a better choice!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    The non sugar coated answer: People shouldn't have to bend their eating habits to satisfy your needs. If you want to indulge make room for it in your calories and macros and eat it. Use a food scale and portion it, stop saying "you cant".

My goal is to be as lean, aesthetic, and strong. I share an apartment with two other roommates who have polar opposite eating habits then I do. I'm not going to force them to change their eating habits, and make them keep certain foods away from me.

The sugar coated answer: Pick up a lower calorie alternative such as skinny cow and go to town.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I tell them no thanks. What I eat is my choice, not someone else's.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    We bought 3 pints of ice cream 2 months ago. I had some three times, less than half a cup each time, within my calories and totally guilt tree. You just have to learn to say no, you won't be able to control what's in your house all the time, especially with kids.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    This is where you have to stand up for yourself and be what you might call "selfish" .. that means you have to think of your self and NOT compromise just to please them.

The other thing is - you have to learn how to exist in the world with other people eating what they want. You still have to learn what it takes to survive NOT putting that in your mouth.

It is YOUR own hand and mouth that is choosing to eat it.

That said, I would keep something on hand that when they bring home the ice cream you can grab YOUR favorite. You have many choices!

For one thing - rainbow sherbet by Deans is really creamy and delicious! Or whatever you like that is a good substitute, that way you all can be eating ice cream, but it will be your own choice!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Considering I eat Ben & Jerry's by the pint, I'm probably biased. So I'll just say, ice cream isn't fattening. There's no such thing as a fattening food. Eating too much food makes you fat, not eating any one kind of food.
  • melrunnerbean
    Options
    Just make room for it in your calorie allowance or do a workout that would burn it off. Ice cream doesn't have a huge amount of calories if you only eat a cup of it.

I eat sweet treats daily but i make room for it in my daily calorie allowance...

You don't have to go cold turkey otherwise you end up bingeing and if you "punish" yourself with exercise thats not a healthy way to look at it.

It needs to be sustainable to maintain your weight loss and stay a healthy weight. By denying yourself of treats its a recipe for disaster.

Life is for living. Eat it in moderation if you want it and if you don't then don't and just refuse politely. I'm sure she will respect you for your determination and restraint.

You'll always be faced with temptation but you need to decide whats more important to you. Losing weight or eating fattening foods...

You can strike a good balance if you exercise and eat in moderation. I eat the things i want but in moderation. Some of the foods that I'm not bothered about i don't eat it but the treats i love i make room for it.

It helps me find a balance... Stay slim without denying myself of life's food pleasures.
  • ellepribro
    ellepribro Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You need to work on your willpower. You can't expect that you will never come in contact with trigger foods. If you can't eat it in moderation, don't eat it at all. Find a substitute. Give yourself a pat on the back for controlling your portions or avoiding it.
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    She would be eating that crap on the porch, I'd leave a spoon and napkin, and lock the door:) LOL
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    put your bikini on while she's gone and wait on the sofa with your spoon. I'm sure the thought of enabling will appear differently when she sees what she'll be looking like in a few years too. maybe next time she'll go for a baby carrot or smoothie run. I find nothing more satisfying than torturing my children with the ultimate reality that they will turn into me. I find it quite satisfying. Good luck!

lolwut?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I save calories for the end of the day.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I eat a serving size, if I have room for it.

If not, I say no thank you.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    What do you do when family members seem eager to share fattening foods?

I eat them. The family members, not the foods.

Seriously...it's not going to kill you to have a treat once in a while. That said, I am currently just maintaining my weight as I had brain surgery earlier this year and am just trying to heal and get back to a normal life. Anyhow, when I was losing something that helped me either not eat foods that I felt like I shouldn't I would stop and ask myself if the food was beneficial. If it wasn't I would either choose not to eat it or just have a small portion. With ice cream, I got these little scoops that were intended to be eaten from. It's basically a 1/4 cup of ice cream, half a serving. I would just have that and be done with it.
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I just politely turn it down. I don't eat anything that is not in the plan anymore whether someone wants me to or not. For me it comes down to will power. Not a big deal to me anymore.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Evening times are usually when I fall off the wagon. My daughter just left to get some Ben and Jerry ice cream so we can have it during our movie time. What to do when a family member brings your weakness home and wants to share? And forget portion control. What do you do when family members seem eager to share fattening foods?

I worked my butt off this morning during a work out. You couldn't pay me to eat ice cream. It's not the "everything in moderation" part or "eat because you earned it." It's a choice. Ben and Jerry's doesn't do me any good. Why give your strength to a tub of ice cream?

Your weakness may be the inability to focus on your goals. It's not the ice cream.
  • buda12345
    buda12345 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    CARB BACK LOAD BABY!!!!!!!!
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Simple. Have her pick up skinny cow ice cream for you. Then you both can have your separate ice creams together.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    I broke one of my Cardinal Rules by posting in this thread earlier, and now I'm paying the piper.

It keeps popping up in My Topics.

Great.

Ice Cream.

I mean, YAY!!!! ICE CREAM.

WSsO9nv.jpg

Little known fact: Ice Cream is the first thing I learned to spell at age three or four. I remember the Ps trying to fool me and me saying, "ice cream!!?!??"

\m/
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Not sure why portion control is not an option?
  • jreneecal
    jreneecal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Wow a lot of posts! Here is my two cents just since I have been on MFP have I held my self accountable. If I want the ice cream I have to exercise the calories off after I eat it. That will keep me from doing it since I am usually tired by the time I would eat the ice cream. The skinny cow option sounds great to me, make her pick one up when she gets her ice cream. I recently had this dilema myself, my husband makes great home made ice cream and he did peach for 4th of July (he did not add any sugar). Before MFP I would have had a full bowl but now the calories are not worth it. I got out a measuring cup and had 1/2 c, I lost 3 lbs this week instead of gaining 3lbs.