Cardio + Dumbbells

Options
F3R1980
F3R1980 Posts: 31 Member
Hi all,

I am biking (stationary bike) for 45 minutes 6 times per week
I am as well lifting (dumbbells 5kg) 7 days a week. I do full body instead of isolating muscle groups each day.
Reps varies from 3x10 and 4x16 depending on the muscle groups.
Eating below 1200 calories per day, only healthy food.
Question is: How come after losing almost 1kg per week for two months I started to gain it back?
It's so disappointing :(
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Ps: I started with the app after losing 6kg

Replies

• F3R1980
    Options
    No one? :(
  • F3R1980
    Options
    No one? :(
  • jennyann117
    jennyann117 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    eat more. If you're working out that much, you need more fuel.
  • F3R1980
    Options
    I am kinda' super overweight
    1.67m and 88kg
    Started with 43.7% fat, now the scale is showing 48.3%
    How eating more will help me lose weight?
    Sorry for all the newbie questions :ohwell:
  • griffith5150
    griffith5150 Posts: 123
    Options
    Measure yourself as in measuring your neck, waist, and hips. You might find yourself building muscle (which weighs more than fat) you might notice you are getting smaller that way than on the scale.
  • F3R1980
    Options
    Measure yourself as in measuring your neck, waist, and hips. You might find yourself building muscle (which weighs more than fat) you might notice you are getting smaller that way than on the scale.

Thanks for the tip... I should do that indeed, thing is I always overlook that. Still the scale is showing a higher fat % than when I started.

Suggestions?
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    You're probably not eating enough, especially if you're not eating back your exercise calories. This could mess with your metabolism I think. Also if you've been working out at the same intensity level and with the same weights for the past two months, your body is probably used to the exercise and not burning as many calories.
  • griffith5150
    griffith5150 Posts: 123
    Options
    You're probably not eating enough, especially if you're not eating back your exercise calories. This could mess with your metabolism I think. Also if you've been working out at the same intensity level and with the same weights for the past two months, your body is probably used to the exercise and not burning as many calories.

From what I been reading Goldmay might be right... everything I read says a person shouldn't go below 1200 calories

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/10-things-you-dont-know-about-calories
  • F3R1980
    Options
    My goal calories is 1200 (as per myfitnesspal and my nutritionist), I usually take 900 to 1100 (not on purpose it's just the food I'm eating, corn, turkey, tuna, some bread, milk, diet mayo, some low fat cheese here and there) and I don't feel hungry.
    I am burning almost 500 calories biking every day and then the weights for about 20 to 30 minutes.
    I started with less exercise 15 min bike and 10 min weights with half of the current weight.
    Should I add more exercise or more food? I am puzzled
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Eating under 1200 calories, not even the slightest chance ever that she has built any muscle at all. Muscle also doesn't weigh more than fat, it is just denser (takes up less space.)

You are exercising 6 days a week cardio and 7 days a week weight lifting. Your TDEE (didn't know age so put 35) is around 2500-2700, you should in no way be eating less than a net of 1500 calories a day with that amount or exercise or you will have literally no fuel. Even 1500 calories at that level of exercise would be a very aggressive attempt at losing weight, I'd aim for a pound of fat a week which would be around 2000 calories a day at your level of exercise.
    I am burning almost 500 calories biking every day and then the weights for about 20 to 30 minutes.

You are therefore netting around 500 calories a day, do you really think that is enough for your body to run properly on? Yes, I am a male, younger and bigger but I am currently eating 2500 calories to lose 2lb a week. You need to start netting a lot higher than 500 calories or you are very unlikely to see any progress.
  • F3R1980
    Options

Eating under 1200 calories, not even the slightest chance ever that she has built any muscle at all. Muscle also doesn't weigh more than fat, it is just denser (takes up less space.)

You are exercising 6 days a week cardio and 7 days a week weight lifting. Your TDEE (didn't know age so put 35) is around 2500-2700, you should in no way be eating less than a net of 1500 calories a day with that amount or exercise or you will have literally no fuel. Even 1500 calories at that level of exercise would be a very aggressive attempt at losing weight, I'd aim for a pound of fat a week which would be around 2000 calories a day at your level of exercise.

I am 32 btw. I should've told my nutritionist how much exercise I was planning to do, I barely mentioned some indoor biking to her. She just told me to be around 1200 to 1300 calories each day.
    I can feel my muscles stressed and tired, you are probably right with the fuel thing.
    Readjusting my diet can get me burning more fat?
    Should I eat back all the calories that I burn by exercising?
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options

I am 32 btw. I should've told my nutritionist how much exercise I was planning to do, I barely mentioned some indoor biking to her. She just told me to be around 1200 to 1300 calories each day.
    I can feel my muscles stressed and tired, you are probably right with the fuel thing.
    Readjusting my diet can get me burning more fat?
    Should I eat back all the calories that I burn by exercising?

If you use myfitnesspals calorie thing eat whatever they suggest and also ALL the exercise calories. The number they set you to eat is already creating the deficit, there is no need to go under your calories that it suggests. I used to eat 2000 calories to lose weight and then I stalled for ages, upped my calories and started losing again. I also feel a lot better when I'm eating more calories, I have more energy and I can always hit my macros. You will feel a lot better which means better performance in your workouts and you have enough fuel to keep you going :)
  • F3R1980
    Options
    Ok, so checking online for another source, seems to be I need to take around 2300 calories a day if I am burning 500 of them by exercising.
    Does this sounds better?
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Try this link:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Plugging in your info yields these results:

BMR: 1650 - most on here will tell you to eat this as your MINIMUM

TDEE at moderate exercise (3-5 hours/wk): 2557

Recommended calories: 2046 (TDEE minus 20%)

Whoever told you to eat 1200 calories wasn't doing you any favors, IMO. Try keeping your exercise regimen and eating around 2000 calories. Since TDEE already takes into account your exercise, you won't "eat back your exercise calories" in this regimen. MFP counts on you eating back your exercise calories.
  • Shaky44
    Shaky44 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    I am as well lifting (dumbbells 5kg) 7 days a week. I do full body instead of isolating muscle groups each day.
    Reps varies from 3x10 and 4x16 depending on the muscle groups.
    <snip>

I'm not familiar with this type of exercise regimen. Many strength programs recommend resting for a day in between workouts for the muscles to recover. Muscle recovery is a part of the process in order to gain strength. Is this a regimen you got from a reputable source or are you just winging it? You may be better off getting in some rest in between strength workouts.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Steady state cardio causes metabolic adaptation especially if you do it every day. Switch to HIIT
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I agree with AGericke
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    1200 cals is too few
    skip the weight lifting
  • F3R1980
    Options
    1200 cals is too few
    skip the weight lifting

Not an option. I guess updating my calories intake should do it. Will visit the nutritionist this week and see how it goes.
    I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks for the help :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    The weight gain is from glycogen/water retention from starting exercise. Normal.

Bioelectric Impedance scales are inaccurate at reading precise BF% because water in the body can change the readings.

And you're also probably eating too little overall.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition