p90x puts man in hospital

Options

Replies

• zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Idiot. He says he's "always been an athlete" but that he also gained 20 pounds. If he's gained 20 pounds through inactivity and a bad diet (common while developing a new product), then he's not still an athlete. It's like the guys who played football in high school and refuse to believe that they're out of shape when they're 30 and end up hurting themselves. Just because you could do it once, doesn't mean you can do it now. Listen to the warnings (on the website, during the DVDS, on the packaging, etc) and do what you can do and modify as needed.
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    Idiot. He says he's "always been an athlete" but that he also gained 20 pounds. If he's gained 20 pounds through inactivity and a bad diet (common while developing a new product), then he's not still an athlete. It's like the guys who played football in high school and refuse to believe that they're out of shape when they're 30 and end up hurting themselves. Just because you could do it once, doesn't mean you can do it now. Listen to the warnings (on the website, during the DVDS, on the packaging, etc) and do what you can do and modify as needed.

I don't think it's fair to call this man an "idiot"...

Anyone who has ever worked out knows the feeling of "I really wanna quit right now, this is too hard" but pushes themselves anyway to finish the workout. There are plenty of people out there who can't last through 10 minutes of moderate activity without quitting. Is it because they are physically unable to or because they are not used to dealing with the discomfort of exercise?

It can be hard to judge when one should push through pain and uncomfortable feelings and when one should stop altogether -- there is no objective gauge of this. So maybe he had more motivation than most people doing P90x, more pain tolerance, or both. Plus, TV shows like "The Biggest Loser" depict extremely obese people doing strenuous exercises. Maybe he thought, "hey if they can do it, so can I" and refused to stop.

To my best understanding, P90x is not marketed to elite athletes looking to improve performance at their chosen sport. It is marketed at everyday Joes and Janes looking to lose some extra pounds, precisely those people who might have been athletic back in the day but have gained a few pounds through the years -- just like the man in the article.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I thought he broke something...or something else. This month or whatever is on stands for SHAPE mag or Women's Health, there's a lengthy article about rhabdo and sports plans/runs that are high in intensity. It was a good read!
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Need to listen to your body more... if you hurt like hell... take it easy... you shouldn't push yourself that hard :( especially during the beginning of a new routine. Ease yourself into it...
  • tinylightsbelow
    tinylightsbelow Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Wow! No idea you can overwork yourself this much. I don't feel so bad about easing into exercising now.

It does seem like all of the labels for the product imply that this is intended for someone who is already fit and active though; I would never try it if I was not already a gym rat. It does seem like this guy was not in his peak shape and so he way overworked himself. Poor guy.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    that is why every exercise program tells you to consult your doctor before starting. this isn't the biggest loser.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    While on the subject - Be aware of the risks of taking NSAIDS.

1. NSAIDs slow tissue healing.
    2. NSAIDs can damage your kidneys

http://myrunningdoc.blogspot.com/2010/05/nsaids-why-runners-should-think-twice.html

And

Running, Rhabdomyolosis, and Renal Failure
    http://www.ultrarunning.com/ultra/9/9_1/running-rhabdomyolosis-an.shtml

Thanks for citing, will have to read later!
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Anyone who has ever worked out knows the feeling of "I really wanna quit right now, this is too hard" but pushes themselves anyway to finish the workout. There are plenty of people out there who can't last through 10 minutes of moderate activity without quitting. Is it because they are physically unable to or because they are not used to dealing with the discomfort of exercise?

It can be hard to judge when one should push through pain and uncomfortable feelings and when one should stop altogether -- there is no objective gauge of this. So maybe he had more motivation than most people doing P90x, more pain tolerance, or both. Plus, TV shows like "The Biggest Loser" depict extremely obese people doing strenuous exercises. Maybe he thought, "hey if they can do it, so can I" and refused to stop.

To my best understanding, P90x is not marketed to elite athletes looking to improve performance at their chosen sport. It is marketed at everyday Joes and Janes looking to lose some extra pounds, precisely those people who might have been athletic back in the day but have gained a few pounds through the years -- just like the man in the article.

There is a fitness test at the beginning and end of the program. If you can not pass the fitness test at the start of P90X it tells you to not start. I am guessing this guy never even bothered to take the fitness test.
    EDIT
    P90X is for people who are already fit and want to be more fit. Anyone trying P90X that is not fit should always modify the program if they try it at all. This is all over the program materials.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Natural Selection in progress.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    why is his girlfriend thumping the air? lol
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    While on the subject - Be aware of the risks of taking NSAIDS.

1. NSAIDs slow tissue healing.
    2. NSAIDs can damage your kidneys

http://myrunningdoc.blogspot.com/2010/05/nsaids-why-runners-should-think-twice.html

And

Running, Rhabdomyolosis, and Renal Failure
    http://www.ultrarunning.com/ultra/9/9_1/running-rhabdomyolosis-an.shtml
    Aleve is my performance enhancing drug of choice. :tongue:
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    People should see a doctor before starting new exercise regime especially when really unfit...
    Yeah, but who really does that? I mean, maybe if you are older and/or have health problems but most youngish, healthyish people just charge on ahead.

I've heard of similar things happening when a PT pushed someone too hard. You have to ease into things until you can tell the difference between your head stopping you or your body saying STOP.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    this has nothing to do with p90x. this has everything to do with a noob to resistance training going too hard. this same result could happen with any resistance training template. And in fact has. When I was doing my PT courses there were more than a few examples of trainers pushing new clients too hard and causing exactly this.

QFT
  • ellehoosen20
    Options
    its a shame people are blaming the actual exercise program for this.
    the guy clearly over exerted himself and didnt modify/stop when his body was pushed to the limit.
    he clearly neglected Tony Hortons advice from the videos!
  • jeromykaplan
    jeromykaplan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    This guy is just pissing away his results hahah lmao
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    ok
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    i think the makers of these dvds should improve the usability of that warning thing. everyone ignores it, it's just text on a screen for ages.

it should be like a checklist (a reality-checklist), with each point getting 20 seconds, and phrased in a way that people can relate to themselves, & each point would be some kind of risk factor.

like:

"Are you over 40?"
    "Have you ever had any injuries?"
    "Have you exercised in the past year?"
    "Do you have any chronic conditions, like diabetes or __ __ __?"
    next screen: "Check with your doctor before starting. Stop with any pain. Follow the blonde chick on the screen, until you can do it blind"

And then, a screen with SIGNS of pain that are easy to read and understand, using plain language, & the most common descriptions.

Like, not "if you have shortness of breath" etc - people stop hearing that - but "If you find yourself struggling to breath" or "if your chest feels tight". Or, "Pain on one side that starts with exercise" etc.

And then, periodically during the DVD, there might be 'check points'. "How do you feel? This is what you should feel at this point" etc.

Because lots of people don't know their own bodies, it's true.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    its a shame people are blaming the actual exercise program for this.
    the guy clearly over exerted himself and didnt modify/stop when his body was pushed to the limit.
    he clearly neglected Tony Hortons advice from the videos!

I didn't hear anyone blame the actual program, in my original post I even stated that the "moral of the story is listen to your body" I think its good for people new to fitness to know that there are risks jumping into a program they may not be ready for.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

There is a fitness test at the beginning and end of the program. If you can not pass the fitness test at the start of P90X it tells you to not start. I am guessing this guy never even bothered to take the fitness test.
    EDIT
    P90X is for people who are already fit and want to be more fit. Anyone trying P90X that is not fit should always modify the program if they try it at all. This is all over the program materials.

But their warnings are in direct contradiction to their marketing. Some of the people in the 'before' pictures are even obese. A picture says a thousand words, etc.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Good post. I have never, nor would I ever feel the need to do px90. There are plenty of simple exercises that are healthy and get your heart rate up where you don't need to overdo it. Some of them are fun, like roller skating or hiking, which burn a lot of calories.

Fyi, my grandmother who never learned to drive a car, walked everywhere. About 5 miles a day on average. No other exercise, just walking. Ate real food, not processed, in normal amounts. Drank a little coffee and a little wine. She lived to 96 years of age and was always slender.

The equation is pretty simple. And one doesn't really need do more than walk...albeit walk a lot, and simply not eat too much. Some light weights are a good idea too, especially for women as they start to age.