Cottage Cheese

Replies

• abikinibyjuly
    abikinibyjuly Posts: 330 Member
    I put a squirt of sriracha on it. Yummy!
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    small curd cottage cheese is easier than large curd. its the texture.

Also i make a kind of sundae out of it. i put a scoop of it in a bowl, then i top it with fruit cocktail, with alittle of the juice from the can, and then i put a tiny dollop of it on top for whip cream haha, and then it really tastes good. This is one time when canned fruit in natural juice is good... i like the tropical one which really is good. Try it!
  • Vic_toria
    Vic_toria Posts: 4 Member
    I prefer savory vs sweet recipes for cottage cheese. For example, sometimes i'll take plain cooked oatmeal and add a couple spoons of cottage cheese and lots of tapatio...OR, cottage cheese with diced tomatoes, cucumbers and avocados.Cottage cheese is great mixed in with turkey patties.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Mix in some apple sauce.

Seriously, takes it to a new level.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    I like it with any kind of fruit ... also like it with almonds, pumpkin seeds, pecans, and/or waltnuts (all raw or lightly toasted not roasted or salted) ... I prefer Friendship 4% small curd California Style, it's not to chunky (more on the creamy side kind of like ricotta), has a nice "mouth feel", and a nice clean, slightl (ever so slight) buttery flavor .. I also love (and this is a love it or bate type thing) Nancy's Organic Lowfar Cultured Cottage Cheese, it's tangy/slightly sour like yogurt (hence the term cultured) ... btw, both of these brands are on the less salty side ... just plessently salty not overwhelmingly so ... some brands, especially the low and nonfat varieties are pretty high in the sodium department and personally dislike them ...
  • A lot of people mix in fruits and sweet things. I actually add pepper to mine. Maybe if the sweetness isnt working for you then you can give this a try.
  • deedster_a
    deedster_a Posts: 91 Member
    I like it with cherry tomatoes and green olives. If you don't like the texture, try blending it up.
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Blend it in a protein shake :)
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Mix in some apple sauce.

Seriously, takes it to a new level.

^^ yep. i eat it all the time.
  • roadmapmaker
    roadmapmaker Posts: 120 Member
    Add dill and pepper. I love cottage cheese! I even try it with some salad dressing - not much but enough to just taste. I love it as a side with spaghetti dinner or any tomato based dish.
  • OCTOBERLISA
    OCTOBERLISA Posts: 38 Member
    Mix in raisins and a tiny bit of ranch dressing.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Only time I eat cottage cheese is if I have some peaches with it.

So delicious!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    *shrug
    If you don't like it, don't eat it. I love it plain, personally.
  • dawnsjourney
    dawnsjourney Posts: 80 Member
    I do like Cottage Cheese but it is pretty high in sodium so I limit my intake.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    On toast with ground pepper and smoked salmon. Yummyyy
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    I do like Cottage Cheese but it is pretty high in sodium so I limit my intake.

They make some really tasty low and no sodium brands nowadays.

Here's a few brands I looked up if anyone is looking to the low sodium route.

Friendship Dairy
    Lucerne
    Breakstone
    Whole Foods
    HOOD

I definitely agree... find a low sodium brand or regular brand you like and stick too it. We all have our favorites, small curd, etc. From brand to brand ...wow, hugely different in flavor to me.
    I prefer savory vs sweet recipes for cottage cheese. For example, sometimes i'll take plain cooked oatmeal and add a couple spoons of cottage cheese and lots of tapatio...OR, cottage cheese with diced tomatoes, cucumbers and avocados.

Cottage cheese is great mixed in with turkey patties.
    OH!:bigsmile: Now that I have yet to try, next time I pick some up I'll give it whirl! Thanks :flowerforyou: Up to this point I've been more of a cottage cheese/pineapple Girl. Do love it spooned over greens though, really adds nicely to a salad.:wink:

ETA: Also saw some recipes for making your own when I Googled... I might try that sometime!

Also to the poster that mentioned adding Ranch? Oh now that does sound good... probably because I add Cottage Cheese to my salads anyhow so a light dressing doesn't sound that weird to me.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    *shrug
    If you don't like it, don't eat it. I love it plain, personally.

Yep this, plenty of other things that are just as good, like Greek Yogurt. With that said I agree with the posters who said brand is important...

I do not like fruit at ALL with cottage cheese, I like salt and pepper. I even use cottage cheese as a base for dips, and eat veggies with it...maybe the problem is you need to switch sweet to salty
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    I love it with pears or bananas.

Oh, and I add it to my spaghetti sauce too sometimes. It makes it taste like lasagna.
  • janimei
    janimei Posts: 105 Member
    My family adds clam bits, lemon juice, Tabasco, a bit of clam juice, and a bit of garlic powder. We use it as a dip for raw veggies after it has been in the fridge for a few hours (blends the flavors).
  • ecc312
    ecc312 Posts: 17
    maybe mix in some sweetener and cinnamon (a lot) and try it with apples again?