Cycling with My Dog.. Any Advice??

Options

Replies

• Alsison
    Alsison Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Here's a link for the kind of bike we use. We have one dog, and mostly he trots beside while we ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi06SFswb7c

SERIOUSLY!! That is so cool!!!!
  • hyper_stitch
    hyper_stitch Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I think it depends where you intend to cycle too, leashing to the bike as already established is very dangerous for both of you ..... not sure if yours has their tail or not, wagging tails and bike wheels do not mix! I have a Samoyed and she needs exercise, I have biked with her off lead a few times, I tried it once with her on lead and it scared the crap out of me lol Whatever way you can work out with your pooch is great just make sure it's well thought out :smile:
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It's the summer, it's hot, I'd veto that idea.

I go hiking every day, and every day there's a dog overheating on the trail because their owner didn't hydrate them and stop often in the shade. And that's just walking, much less ask the dog to run distances.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    First, I would check with a vet .

I don't know where you are planning to cycle with your pooch, but where I cycle dogs tethered to a leash with their Mom or Dad cycling are pretty much a pain. Some of them lunge towards whom ever is going by, and take up the width of the bike trail.

But whatever you decide to do, enjoy.
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on where you plan to cycle and how well trained your dog is:) I used to ride with my dogs all the time, but on trails or dirt roads where they can be off leash. They learn to run ahead or after me on the bike and I've taught them not to cut across in front of me on the bike. If I were to ride on paved streets with them it would only be a short distance and they'd heel by my bike, off leash. I wouldn't use a leash with them while riding, because it's too risky for both.

That being said, I think that you have to be very careful not to over exert your dog while you're riding a bike. I didn't take my lab out until he was a 1.5 yrs, but I think you can take them out younger, but just not too long. When I did take them out, I would try not to ride too fast or far, because it's easy to ride longer than they can walk or run. You don't want to injure their ligaments, tendons or anything else. I don't take my dogs out while riding anymore, but I do take them on runs and walks. Check out my picture. I enjoy the companionship of my dogs and it makes my exercise more entertaining for sure!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the disposition of your dog. For the first few attempts, maybe have someone shadow you, in case it doesn't work out.

I tried to get my dog involved with my fitness routine. She's deathly frightened of ANYTHING with an axle. Thank goodness for my elbow pads and that helmet.

She won't run for any distance without stopping to sniff every 10 feet. She does do an excellent of keeping my yoga mat warm though.
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My advise...DON'T DO IT! I got hurt too. Dog decided to turn and pulled me right over and I put my arm out to brace myself. Pulled shoulder out of the socket. DAMN that hurts!! Never again.
    If you do...I really wish you luck and safe travels. :)
  • butters1
    butters1 Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I would only suggest training off leash with a bike if you can find safe circumstances for the dog. Heck with what i consider well trained dogs i'm always concerned with the what-if's even on a run. There is no way i'm risking my *kitten* or theirs in any bike type situation.
  • roadmapmaker
    roadmapmaker Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Go slow reinforce him with enticing goodies and train him to watch you. slow training and positive reinforcement with 100% recall would help. I bought a bicycle doggie jog or something like that that also had a quick release. unfortunately my dog went lame from an accident just before we could use it now it sits in my garage. My dog loves to run but we have to limit her. also build up his paws before any real long ride and check him often. always something on the trails! best of luck!
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    It is called lunging and used for horses. It is mind numbing for the animal. Show dogs excercise like any other animal I have a 25,000 GSD that runs at the dog park. The hot walker you show is also a form of abuse. Would YOU like to walk in a circle for 2 hrs? Think people.
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    There was a guy in my neighborhood that would ride with his dog. He would do at least 3 laps. One lap the dog would be in the trailer behind him. Next time the dog would be running beside him (no leash I'm sure he trained him on this). Then the 3rd time he was back in the trailer.
  • ecc312
    ecc312 Posts: 17
    Options
    Honestly, that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I crashed my bike one year ago and got a major concussion and am still not fully healed. And I'm not a bad biker. Don't do anything stupid...not to be rude or anything, I just don't think that's a safe idea. I wouldn't want you or your dog to get hurt when you can easily avoid it.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    It is called lunging and used for horses. It is mind numbing for the animal. Show dogs excercise like any other animal I have a 25,000 GSD that runs at the dog park. The hot walker you show is also a form of abuse. Would YOU like to walk in a circle for 2 hrs? Think people.
    truth. and the best way to tire a dog is nosework. why? because the dog is using its brain.

if you give a dog regular exercise and it still has too much energy, chances are you're not giving enough mental stimulation.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Agree about the mental stimulation.

We have a doggy funpark near us which has an agility course set up on it. Max my Weim is now 6 - as I said, he can be a bit unpredictable, so this securely fenced area is perfect for him. Plus he LOVES the agility course - the assistant there says she's never seen a Weim do agility before. And the fact that he's using his brain as well as his paws means he gets well tired out.

If you have a lot of garden could you make something similar yourself?
  • Teele86
    Teele86 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Im teaching my dog to run beside me and my bike. I know you have a bad knee so cant jog, but teaching a dog to heel when walking or running is a must before moving onto a bike. You have to be able to trust in your ability to control him off the lead. In case you have to let go or to stop him from running in front of your bike or pulling you over. I am jogging and walking with my Kelpie and he has to heel and stay on the other side of me from the road. I walk him with a haltie so he cant physically pull me around and if he deviates to the wrong side of me or doesn't heel I stop and he is called back into position. We have progressed to him running alongside me without running off to other dogs or going onto the road ( we practised on less used roads and bike paths first so there wasn't any pressure, also alot of practise on lead before off lead). He is about a year old as well so I am watching his km's so Im not putting too much strain on his muscles, tendons and bones. He is also a young dog and you have to remember that maturity comes with age. Go slow for a year and by that time he will have matured alot and grown into is body and should have the basics down pat. you should have a dog that runs alongside without a lead and listens to you. Good luck. These activities are great bonding excursuses, reinforces discipline and keeps both of you fit.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Amsterdam, I saw people do this all the time, even on pretty busy roads. They just kept the dog on the right hand side on a lead.
  • ShengHuo
    ShengHuo Posts: 42
    Options
    My sister and I do it quite often with several different dogs of varying sizes:

Hold onto the leash, don't hook it to the bike. That way you can let go if need be and not be toppled by a pulling dog.

Keep the dog to the same side always. It lets them know what is going on and will be more familiar/comfortable for them.

Pay attention to it's need to stop and rest. If the dog just stops and sits for a rest, let go of the leash and then stop and turn around. Don't let yourself be jerked to a halt.

Otherwise all the same things as walking him.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options

I'm the one who posted the lunging.

So you would prefer a dog park, no discipline, random interactions with who-knows what animals with who-knows what diseases or temperament? Sounds like injury and illness combined with no learning experience at all.

Or are you all for the idea of the bike rider or animal getting injured with the bike ride idea? I've done it, and it requires extreme concentration from both dog and rider. Lunging is a perfectly acceptable safe way to exercise an animal. The best exercise is the one you can do safely.

The dog isn't tied up for nine hours. It's exercise. Kind of like a treadmill or elliptical or lap-swimming for people.
    Think.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    So you would prefer a dog park, no discipline, random interactions with who-knows what animals with who-knows what diseases or temperament? Sounds like injury and illness combined with no learning experience at all.

Or are you all for the idea of the bike rider or animal getting injured with the bike ride idea? I've done it, and it requires extreme concentration from both dog and rider. Lunging is a perfectly acceptable safe way to exercise an animal. The best exercise is the one you can do safely.
    i feel the need to point out that i've owned dogs my entire life, i've trained for nosework, agility, obedience and manwork, and i have a qualification in dog behaviour and psychology before i say... utter twaddle!